PDA

View Full Version : Italy to Austria low level?

A and C
24th Jun 2007, 10:02
Any advice on low level routes from Italy to Austria ?

It looks like this is posable looking down from FL370 but have any of you flown along the valleys?

172driver
24th Jun 2007, 10:40
While I have flown neither (only done low-level crossing the Alps within Austria) there are two low-level routes published, have a look at the Jepp charts. One goes from Bolzano via the Brenner pass into the Tyrol (Innsbruck), the other, lower one, goes north from Udine following the river via Pontebba - Tarvisio - Villach into Carinthia. From my low-level Alpine crossing experience I would suggest programming all waypoints into your GPS in advance and possibly even 'flying' the route in X-Plane or similar, as the valleys can all look very alike, especially if you have to do it in anger, i.e. below a low deck.

IO540
24th Jun 2007, 11:19
Depends on what you mean "low level".

If you give me the dep+dest I will see if I can knock out some airways routings. Austria is easier than Switzerland terrain-wise.

What is your ceiling and do you have oxygen?

A and C
24th Jun 2007, 11:37
I want to go along the valleys, I see the place at least three times a week from above FL350!

michaelthewannabe
24th Jun 2007, 18:38
the valleys can all look very alike, especially if you have to do it in anger, i.e. below a low deck.

true - though if you're doing Bolzano-Brenner-Innsbruck, you'll have the significant navigational advantage of following the (only!) motorway.

Drove through there recently. It's very pretty.