PDA

View Full Version : FlyGlobespan - 6

Pages : 1 [2] 3

afterdark
22nd Sep 2007, 14:36
I wonder how this will affect their 767 and moreso their outlook on getting 787's in a couple of years 2010 i believe.

I cant see any airline affording to keep new/nearly new heavy aircraft only busy for 6/7 months in a year then sittle idle for 5 months, I think they could use at least 1 or 2 all year round between Florida and West Canadian routes with services from several UK/Ireland airports.

is there any winter routes that they could operate out of the UK using 767/787 assuming that they have not already burnt their bridges with passenger / travel agent confidence ?

whats up with their most recent 767, re maintenance problems ? i think they had a few tech problems when they first got their second 767 but were fixed reletively quickly

DTVAirport
23rd Sep 2007, 10:01
My Auntie flew MME-JER on G-CDRB on the 15th, returning yesterday, the 23rd, on the same aircraft, my Dad flew MME-ALC on CDRB last Friday, returning on the same aircraft in the early hours of tomorrow morning.

The report I got from my Auntie was that the leather seats were extremely dirty, and that some of the tables were sallotaped in the upright position.

I expect a similar report from my Dad. How are airlines with such standards allowed to continue operating???

EC-ILS
24th Sep 2007, 02:05
Dirty seats and broken seat back are not things that are really looked at when deciding if an airline can keep its operating license!

When someone reports that the engines are taped together and the door held closed by a chair then you can worry about it.

Its LOCO! What do you expect? Expenditure on cleaning is gone out the window and minor repairs on non essential things like tray tables is not a top priority.

Mr @ Spotty M
24th Sep 2007, 05:09
Broken seat back tables should be, as they will block your escape, hence all seat backs upright and tables stowed for landing.

IB4138
24th Sep 2007, 07:37
Pax on the late EDI-AGP last night were told that the delay was caused by....Malaga Airport.

Not that the flight took off an hour late, due to the aircraft being late inbound.

warkman
24th Sep 2007, 09:45
This thread is interesting to see what some of the staff at Globespan think!
http://www.cabincrew.com/ccnetwork/forum_posts.asp?TID=25720&PN=1

james170969
24th Sep 2007, 14:43
Thanks for that Warkman. After reading the CabinCrew.com page I don't think I'll ever fly with Flyglobespan again.

warkman
24th Sep 2007, 14:46
Thanks for that Warkman. After reading the CabinCrew.com page I don't think I'll ever fly with Flyglobespan again.

Looks like from there that manchester is joing the airports that FGS won't be flying from.
Their own website showing a lot less schedules for next year :(

james170969
24th Sep 2007, 15:06
From what I hear from different people they seem to have expanded far too quickly this year which has caused them all sorts of problems. They also have the tendency to announce new routes and axe them before they've even got off the ground. I think any time I fly to Malaga I'll use Easyjet unless Ryanair ever starts flying from Prestwick to Malaga. At least both Easyjet and Ryanair are fairly reliable.

GW76
24th Sep 2007, 15:25
Most of the traditional charter carriers offer flexible flights from GLA to AGP too. and XLA,TCX, FCA and TOM often have pretty good deals and tend to be as reliable as EZY etc. You can fly out with one and back with another to suit times and days. Ive done it many times.

wheelbarrow
26th Sep 2007, 14:48
And now theyre closing the MANCHESTER Base :*:*:*

With Cabin Crew being let go at the end of October, guess Liverpool will follow soon if not unannounced suddenly.

Dont Book to JFK .............Probably loose ure dosh.

Knock and West of Ireland passengers dont want anything more to do with these wannabee amateurs.

Tom Dalyrumple hasnt done well here!!!!!!!!! But with a 767 soon being based in LAGOS for Virgin Nigeria I suppose he will recoup the monies pending court cases!!!!!!! Good OLD Eileen must have more grey hairs! He He

xx
Jimmy (shadowing Joe Fossill)

dwlpl
26th Sep 2007, 14:54
And now theyre closing the MANCHESTER Base

With Cabin Crew being let go at the end of October, guess Liverpool will follow soon if not unannounced suddenly.

The press announced it yesterday and is on the Liverpool and Manchester threads.

ROSSKi MYT
26th Sep 2007, 15:12
Are They Sending A 767 to Virgin Nigeria?:ugh: What Isd There Situation going to be with the 767, they seem to be sending them away and like last winter gla-sfb will be a bit mucked up with aircraft i believe:ugh:I Also See FlyGlobespan Are Starting Corfu From Gla And Edi for s08 and also pula from Gla. I Think JFK From GLA would Be A Good Move But Who Knows!

Jet2Leeds
26th Sep 2007, 23:52
I hear the recently leased B767 G-CEOD has got MAJOR maintenance issues and CAA wont be letting it go anywhere!!!!!!!!
CAA Website
G-CEOD Built: 2000
CofA / Permit: AWAITING CERTIFICATION Application Received: 17/08/2007 Change of C of A details in progress

757 G-CEJM heads to Fedex soon

(Maybe So)G-CEJM C of A Expiry: 23/03/2008

Under stand GSm management an PM of Jet2 get on well maybe j2 would like to take 75's but more so 76's as they are struggling to find suitible frames

charterguy
28th Sep 2007, 23:48
Are airlines not required to re-book you onto other carriers if they cancel a flight ? I thought they need to comply with regulation EC261 which calls for refunds and compensation ?

Anyone ?

Regards
CG

Here's what they have been sending out. How about that for a load of B0LL0CKS ??

Let's hope the airline has the necessary cash flow to refund all pax !!

IMPORTANT - FLIGHT WITHDRAWAL NOTIFICATION
flyglobespan Manchester service to & from Cape Town
The continued reluctance of the South African Authorities to meet with their UK counterparts to resolve differences in interpretation of the Bilateral Agreement between the two countries has created a lack of confidence in the minds of the travelling public with regard to the operation of our Manchester to Cape Town service this winter.
This lack of confidence has continued despite assurances from the South African Authorities that flyglobespan will be permitted to operate the service.
As a result flyglobespan has been unable to attract sufficient bookings, both in the UK and in South Africa and this factor coupled with a current high price of jet fuel has made it uneconomic for us to operate this service.
It is with regret therefore that we have to give notice of cancellation of this service with immediate effect and in order that passengers will have the opportunity to make alternative arrangements in good time.
Passengers affected by the cancellation of this service will receive a cancellation invoice for their records and have their booking refunded in full.
We appreciate that this will cause you great inconvenience and ask you to accept our most sincere apologies and our thanks for your support and your understanding in this matter.
Kind Regards
C. King
flyglobespan
Please do not reply to this automated email as responses will not read. This is an automated email only and cannot deal with incoming email please do not respond to this address.

TSR2
29th Sep 2007, 17:36
Never heard such a load of old cobblers.

Since when has any bilateral agreement between anyone about anything been in the minds of the travelling public.

Perhaps Flyglobespan's reputation is starting to catch up with them.

ADC2604
29th Sep 2007, 18:19
Charterguy - If an airline gives passengers 14 days of more notice then they are not required to offer compensation.

The general rule is you get a refund but many airlines will offer an alternative if they operate the same route elsewhere. In this case I do not believe GSM fly to Cape Town other than Manchester.

As far as I am aware, if there is not 14 days notice compensation is required unless the airline can rebook you on another carrier and your arrival is within 2 hours of the flight which was previously booked. I hope this helps.

Alan Tracey
29th Sep 2007, 19:08
Sadly this makes me feel very nervous for GSM.

Very poor start to the summer, hugh costs in compensation, HOTAC and sub chartering.
Now stations closing, route cuts etc.

Is this re-trenching or desperate measures ?????

GW76
29th Sep 2007, 19:31
Now really ...come on. The short haul program has been a success and by all accounts continues to be very lucrative. The sub chartering is outward rather than sub chartering in and so is profit making. The only blip has been long haul- which as you have seen is being addressed as we speak and will be streamlined for S08. The amateurs amongst us have obviously not appreciated that the financial minds within the airlinen calculate the compensation aspect when a decision to cut a route is made.

TSR2
29th Sep 2007, 20:48
The postings on this thread would indicate to me that the real amateurs are those within GSM trying to run a long haul airline.

groundhogbhx
29th Sep 2007, 21:29
What is happening with the proposed W07 flights through BHX? I see they still have current slots so the airport is expecting them. I take it they will be cancelled when they get round to it.

GW76
29th Sep 2007, 21:45
There will be no need to cancel flights which havent even been launched.
Slots are by no means an indication that a route will operate.

Mr A Tis
30th Sep 2007, 05:11
The only blip has been long haul-

You're having a laugh surely? A blip ? A lottery on which day your flight will go (if at all) via who knows where, more like.
The reviews on Skytrax make very sad reading indeed for GSM longhaul.

groundhogbhx
30th Sep 2007, 07:32
GW - It was the slots I was talking about. Here they are used for checkin desk and stand planning. Until the airline cancels the slots everyone has to assume they still plan to operate causing a lot of unneccesary work for a lot of people if they are peak time.:(

Eejit
30th Sep 2007, 09:13
I have just returned from a trip to Canada, having flown GLA-YHM and YYC-GLA with Flyglobespan.

I must admit that I was a tad nervous in the weeks leading up to the trip after reading about all the delays and issues regarding a/c availability, but I have to say I cannot fault the whole experience at all. We were on time leaving Glasgow, a little bit late geting into Toronto, a little bit late leaving Calgary (due to delay in getting fuel there) and made up almost all the time getting back to GLA. The seat pitch was fine, the food was good and service more than adequate, and the whole thing cost a lot less than a return train ticket to almost anywhere in Britain from where I live.

Its a shame people tend to focus on the negatives rather than the positives, but I wouldn't hesitate to use them again, keep up the good work.

Eejit

ROSSKi MYT
30th Sep 2007, 11:00
You Cant Say All Long Haul Has Been A Shambles, Look At GLA-SFB And GLA-BOS, They Have Both Been Running Smoothly, especially SFB

Skipness One Echo
30th Sep 2007, 12:11
Well the Boston service ended up on a B737-700 and the Sanford on an Italian B767. Not even sure Boston is returning for 2008.
And PLEASE stop using capitals for the first letter of every word. Where the Hell did you learn to do that?

GW76
30th Sep 2007, 14:05
The BOS Was Always Planned To Be On A Boeing 737-700. The SFB Always Planned To Be On A 767-300. I Dont See What The Issue Is ..?

Albert Hall
30th Sep 2007, 15:17
Oh Christ, the first letter being capitalised disease is obviously contagious. [Before you ask, Christ is capitalised because it's referring to the Almighty, no other reason - even if agnostic. See the UKIA website if you have any queries on the inherent involvement of deities in airline operations. It's recommended reading on the Almighty's involvement in the granting of Air Operator's Certificates.]

GW76, the record of Globespan this year has not exactly been stunning. Let's have a look at the low-lights:

Glasgow-Boston - daily 737-700 service on sale. Three flights per week were then amended to run via Knock. Cut back heavily in September and October to reduce from a daily flight to four per week, of which three ran via Knock.

Liverpool-JFK - daily 757 service put on sale. Three flights per week were then changed to run via Knock. Operational fiasco including five days with no flights whatsoever in July. [Did anyone ever answer the question about whether the crew had continued past alternates to land at JFK with one engine shut down, by the way?] Friday flight cancelled from the end of August, and cut back to four per week - three via NOC - for September and October.

Vancouver/Calgary - sold on GSM three-class 767, changed to an Italian 767 with two-class service, various routing changes (more stops introduced to combine flights from LGW + GLA, GLA+MAN, MAN+LGW depending on the season) and Italian crews who - according to the Skytrax website - could barely speak English on a good day.

Belfast/Glasgow-Sanford - Italian aircraft and crews with inferior service, but thankfully no routing changes.

Glasgow-YHM - daily direct service put on sale, ended up with 737-800 with tech-stop at Keflavik on the way out every day and a Business service which fell some way short of what was originally advertised.

Manchester-YHM - daily direct service put on sale, ended up with a 757 via Glasgow in the shoulder season, being cut back to four days per week during the peak summer including a 737-800 via Keflavik on Fridays.

Gatwick-YHM - daily direct service put on sale, ended up with a 757 on three days per week - via Glasgow during the shoulder season.

Manchester-Johannesburg - put on sale for Winter 2007 and cancelled as they didn't have bilateral rights to fly the route. Passengers transferred to Cape Town service.

Manchester-Cape Town - flown in Winter 2006 and put on sale for Winter 2007. Cancelled as apparently "bilateral rights" didn't exist for them to fly the route and created uncertainty in the minds of customers. Like hell. When did your average customer know about bilaterals and where was this last publicly discussed? Perhaps the c**p reputation they've earned had put people off booking again. Or perhaps the GSM cabin crew over at another website saying that the operation was unsafe due to GSM's rostering practices? The policy of providing a foam camping mat so that cabin crew could lie down on the rear galley floor to take rest and extend their FDP isn't one that I can find in my version of CAP371.

Glasgow-Sharm - put on sale and cancelled within the week. EDI-SSH still exists for this winter but with block times bent to hell so that it's just legal to be rostered as a Level 2 variation. I'd like to see how many of those they achieve without discretion.

Glasgow-Las Vegas & Barbados - put on sale and cancelled without flights having ever taken place.

Open warfare between cabin crew on other forums and flight crew on this forum - pro-rata probably more so than any other airline relative to its size. This doesn't fill you with confidence that it's a professional operation. Every airline has its problems but there seem to be few whose employees are as hell-bent on washing their dirty linen in public as this one.

To say that this is a "blip" is rather like Mrs Abraham Lincoln saying that there was a bit of a kerfuffle at the theatre the other night.

I'm sure that there are quite a few other examples which are out there but which I've forgotten and which most customers involved would rather forget. Not exactly stunning - and I can't think of any other airline which has behaved like some 1980s bucketshop flight company in this way. Need I say more?

crabbers
6th Oct 2007, 12:04
Hello,

First post so please be gentle! I have been following the Flyglobespan issue at LPL closely because I had hoped to book to fly with them first of all just before Christmas and then next summer.

Does anyone know what the chances of them coming back are? Perhaps I'm being naive, but surely the best time to make a NEw York flight work out of a smallish airport is in the run up to Christmas, when thousands go Christmas shopping?

I read a lot about the problems in July when people were delayed five days, but I assumed it had run pretty well other than that. I did try to book for the end of this month but the timetable on the website conflicted with the flights available when booking and the the call centre didn't seem too sure either.

It's a great shame for Liverpool, I feel, because with the right long-haul flights it could use its size - and ease of use - over Manchester.

PS - is it very naive to think it might have been a good idea to use a newer plane on a newer route (instead of sending it to India) , rather than leasing one?

skyman771
6th Oct 2007, 12:20
Perhaps I'm being naive, but surely the best time to make a NEw York flight work out of a smallish airport is in the run up to Christmas, when thousands go Christmas shopping? Yes! but one issue would be that it is unlikely that you could convince enough pax going Xmas shopping that they would actually arrive back home this year !;)

GW76
6th Oct 2007, 12:29
Albert hall- can you tell us what percentage of flights are long haul in comparison to their short haul operation- so we can assess whether this was a major part of their operations or not. The vast majority of their flights and their passengers carried are short haul, and so I cant see GSM being particularly worried about your concerns noted above. How many flights with GSM did you fly and what impact did their long haul problems impact on you....I suspect we know the answers to all the above queries.:rolleyes:

DONTTELLTHEPAX
6th Oct 2007, 15:06
What are you saying ?
Dont think the MODS will like that comment :=
nor will the good people of Liverpool.

warkman
6th Oct 2007, 15:32
What are you saying ?
Dont think the MODS will like that comment
nor will the good people of Liverpool.
Whoops! thought I was in jet blast! :}

ok ha ha! Hogg :ok:

Mr Gammon Flaps
6th Oct 2007, 16:45
I see from Jethros that they are looking at leasing the new B763 to Santa Barbara Airlines in Caracas, Venezuela.....beats Lagos I suppose!

Donkey497
6th Oct 2007, 19:43
Got to admit that I agree with Eejit. Flew EDI/YHM no great problems at all. Did have a bit of a minor delay in leaving EDI, but nothing major and certainly less than I've had on scheduled majors this year. Even the engine fire / flameout or whatever it was that hit in early june was worked out by the end of the week when I was flying back.

My only bad experience was with the Canadian Immigration service this year who decided to have three goes at me in the non air conditioned cattle shed that was masquerading as the YHM international arrivals hall. The second one to quiz me was a very nice blonde, but she passed me onto another guy whose sole purpose seemed to be to repeatedly ask me the same six questions in different orders for half an hour whilst unpacking my suitcases and dumping everything inside in an untidy pile for me to repack before he decided that I wasn't a threat to their security & let me go on my way.

Nil further
8th Oct 2007, 07:47
Looks like GSM are going to make a loss this year . Mr Dalrymple gave a full briefing to the Sunday Times (Scotland) yesterday . Had to laugh at his threats to sue Icelandair over the tech 757 and blaming all his problems on them .

He forgot to mention the fact that the only reason he needed those a/c are that he is wet leasing his own (presumably for more money) to Air India.

If he gave a S**t about his customers or staff then he would have kept the aircraft in the UK and got it right , of course then he would have no-one else to blame or ........... if the rumours are true the only thing that kept the whole airline afloat this year was the Air India payments.

Mr D's legal people will certainly be busy this winter with a class action from Canadians , suing the Icelandics , defending Mr Q's rant on this board .

That should wipe out any remaining hope of a profit !

mm0wkj
9th Oct 2007, 14:19
And Flyglobespan have lost the MOD contract due to poor performance...

harrogate
10th Oct 2007, 10:46
"Perhaps I'm being naive, but surely the best time to make a NEw York flight work out of a smallish airport is in the run up to Christmas, when thousands go Christmas shopping?"

That's what charters are for.

markbarbera
10th Oct 2007, 15:37
I notice that the Winter 07 YHM flights have quietly disappeared from the timetable, the last GLA/MAN flight scheduled for November 19. They show a resumption for GLA and MAN in April 08, but show no further Summer 08 flights from YHM. Is the long-haul across the pond being downsized, abandoned, or revived? One would think that the Summer 08 schedules would be set by now.

Jamesair
10th Oct 2007, 15:40
New EDI - Dubrovnik route announced for summer 08

GW76
10th Oct 2007, 17:39
Harrogate,
What airlines operate charters from Liverpool to JFK.....?:confused:

S78
11th Oct 2007, 15:39
GSM166 (YHM-BHX) was due at 08:25 today, now showing 22:25.......

Any ideas what the problem is?

S78

harrogate
11th Oct 2007, 15:46
"Harrogate,

What airlines operate charters from Liverpool to JFK.....?"

None. Obviously.

I merely answered this point:

"Perhaps I'm being naive, but surely the best time to make a NEw York flight work out of a smallish airport is in the run up to Christmas, when thousands go Christmas shopping?"

That's a charter, by definition.

caaardiff
11th Oct 2007, 16:24
Aren't ZoomUK doing a one-off charter from LPL-JFK on behalf of Travelscope?
I know they are doing one from CWL

GW76
11th Oct 2007, 17:46
Thats a charter by definition ?
Depends obviously on your definition of "charter". Only relevent here if they all go on the same aircraft organised by the same tour operator on the same day.
With this topic I dont see the connection myself......

ADC2604
11th Oct 2007, 19:30
S78 - god knows - GSM182 it operates to EXT as well with an ETA of 20:50 (STA 1000)

spantheman
12th Oct 2007, 06:10
The flight was delayed because there was no crew rostered in YHM to do the flight so they had to bodge a crew together who then needed 11 hours rest. It didn't help when this was only realised an hour or so before departure. Another classic moment in a summer full of them !

Maverik1
12th Oct 2007, 10:58
Anyone know what GSM are doing on their winter sched? They appear to have an aircraft that will be sitting on the ground in YVR from Sat through to Mon

jubilee
12th Oct 2007, 14:42
Trying for an on time departure on Tuesday.
Regards
Jub

goldeneye
13th Oct 2007, 16:25
GSM are not flying to YVR in the winter, so not sure what your asking.

The Summer 2008 Schedule for GSM to Wester Canada is as follows.

Monday.
DUB-YYC-YVR-YYC-LGW
Tuesday
LGW-YYC-YVR-YYC-GLA
Wednesday
GLA-YYC-YVR
Thursday
YVR-YYC-MAN
Friday
MAN-YYC-YVR-YYC-GLA
Saturday
GLA-YYC-YVR-YYC-LGW
Sunday
LGW-YYC-YVR-YYC-DUB

Not sure what there doing with the wednesday/thursday overnight in Vancouver.

Jamesair
13th Oct 2007, 16:41
Have they decided on the Toronto summer schedules yet?

goldeneye
13th Oct 2007, 17:19
no sign of YHM but im guessing it will be operated, as despite the problems with the aircraft it didnt do too badly.

TANGO100
14th Oct 2007, 10:12
Hi Guys, anyone heard of a Hamilton route out of Leeds.
I have a cuz in Canada and he says he saw an article in the Toronto news of a flight out of leeds from Globspan....... any news on this?

MUFC_fan
14th Oct 2007, 16:15
Most likely would be LS, surprised they didn't fly to LBA this summer, but seeing how the season turned out, best they didn't!;)

cargo boy
15th Oct 2007, 15:05
Bumped into a Globespan crew yesterday who told me that they'd lost their ETOPS approvals and were having to tech stop en route for their trans-Atlantic routes. Yesterdays LPL-JFK had to refuel in KEF.

After much rumour about struggling due to a poor financial and management position they are closing all bases except for GLA and EDI. Redundancies at all other bases.

merlinxx
15th Oct 2007, 16:42
For Globespan ETOPS read
EverTriedOpposingPilotsSayso

Mr Gammon Flaps
15th Oct 2007, 16:54
The Director of Flight Operations has also been replaced as of today.

packsonflite
15th Oct 2007, 16:59
.....because he is seriously ill; been in and out of hospital many times over the last year.

MorningGlory
15th Oct 2007, 17:02
oh dear.. :uhoh: hopefully the boys and girls flying for them will be okay

Mr Gammon Flaps
15th Oct 2007, 17:03
yeah...of course that is the reason, it was just coincidence. If he was fighting fit I am sure none of the problems they have created for themselves would have happened.

Dogma
15th Oct 2007, 18:03
From the little I have heard; the Globespan 737 trans-atlantic flights have been conducted by Skippers with limited (total) experience and FO's with zero experience. The 737-800 is not ideal to fly long-range (ERA Narsasawak, etc) and the approach taken by GS is substandard.

If this is true, the CAA should look a little deeper into the whole of Globespan's long range operation.

Its questionable to say the least.

GSM SCOT
15th Oct 2007, 18:26
The base at Durham Tees is not closing.
Manchester is closing down end of this month
Aberdeen is still operating during the winter but will not have any aircraft based there, flights will be w pattern with Edinburgh. Aircraft based there again from April 08.
Stansted operation is moving to London Gatwick but with longhaul flight only.

Losing the e-tops approval only effects the GLA-NOC-BOS and the LPL-NOC-JFK which end the end of October, as other flights are flown on Icelandair 757's and Neos 767's

NG708
15th Oct 2007, 20:04
But this obviously points to some serious problems within the company.

Staff at Liverpool and Manchester had to find out they were losing their jobs or being forcibly rebased from the evening news and papers.

Perhaps not having anyone in the company with experience of running a long haul op is starting to show.

Callsign Kilo
15th Oct 2007, 20:05
Good for you GSM Scot....stating some positive facts for the ever growing number of knife weelders that seem to be out to get Flyglobespan for one reason or another. There will be an almighty uproar as a result of your post. How dare you ruin the negative tone of this thread for all those lining up to have a dig.

Say again s l o w l y
15th Oct 2007, 20:32
Redundancies and base closures are always a worrying sign. It seems the long-haul side is a shambles. I've been shocked at the number of people I've met who have been passengers with GSM and the enormous list of problems they have vented.

Thank god for the original, core business from GLA and EDI or things really would be in trouble.

I think predicting GSM's demise is a bit premature and unrealistic. They seem to have some problems and hopefully this is them rationalising the business to sort it out.

However, losing ETOPS approval is a bit of a slap in the face and extremely embarrasing.

Rollingthunder
15th Oct 2007, 20:48
Isn't loss of ETOPS/EROPS approval indicative of less than acceptable engine maintenance?

There is a large billboard advertising them a couple of blocks from here on the way to the airport (replaced the Harmony Airways advert). Think I will set fire to it tonight.

Duchess_Driver
15th Oct 2007, 21:07
Not just engine maintenance....whole raft of procedures. Any one of which might not be up to scratch.

Alberts Growbag
15th Oct 2007, 22:07
I understand the ex-Operations Director of First Choice joined GS with a view to a long term future and had the CAA visit the next day...

....The day after that he hot footed it back to FCA!!:uhoh:

This sounds like an airline going down the pan very fast.

More pilots on the market, which is what we don't need.

euroman
15th Oct 2007, 23:19
NG708, hows life at Monarch?, every company you have worked for has had a problem, Emerald, GSM, will it be Monarch next?

NG708
16th Oct 2007, 12:56
Certainly hope not!:)

I think Monarch has sorted a lot out with the recent negotiations. Hopefully things will continue to improve. Given the 'owners' of the company, doubt it will ever go bust - too good a tax writeoff.!

Shame some of the posters on here are so blind to what is happening at GSM. Perhpas the blindingly obvious is dazzling them through their rose-tinted glasses. A lot of good people are leaving or trying to leave. It's never the sign of a company doing well.

Nil further
16th Oct 2007, 18:25
As Dogma says ETOPS on the 737 by skippers with no previous jet time , never mind oceanic or ETOPS exp' with cadets who pay for the privellege in the RHS , no thanks !

There is at least one capt there whose previous experience is entirely on a turbo prop and was never much of a star on that by all accounts , few months in GSM , now a skipper on the NOrth Atlantic with winter approaching ! mind blowing!

A330busdriver
16th Oct 2007, 19:00
Is Dim Tim still there?

Mr Angry from Purley
16th Oct 2007, 19:05
duchess
Agree with your comments, maybe a hint from the CAA to get things sorted, or else ? :\

SFCC
16th Oct 2007, 22:29
Blackbush is very conspicuous by his absence:confused:

Hogg
17th Oct 2007, 09:49
I was a bit surprised to hear that Gsm had lost its etops approval. I operated the B767 on many etops flights and everything was above board, having been to sanford/calgary/vancouver/toronto/capetown and on 757 barbados/new york/toronto. We used 180 for 76 and never really anymore than 138 on 75, wasnt needed.
We never had an engine problem on 767 neway or any nav problems and have also been as far north as 68N everythink working.
I know on Iceair 757 which was wetleased there were a few shutdowns :uhoh:
I hear and read the Dfo has been replaced by Bob........:D :D now thats a gent in all senses, hard working crew orientated professional. Hope commercial consult him before just launching a service.
So whats goin on :confused::confused:
I know nothing of the way the B737 series was operated except it seemed to stop alot....dont know the aircraft

Hover Overviewer
17th Oct 2007, 12:37
I must admit that after working within an airline for quite a number of years I have found out where they have all been going wrong.

If only the Commercial Departments had actually sought the permission of the DFO prior to looking at routes the industry would be in a much more robust shape. :ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh: :ugh::ugh::ugh:

You learn something new everyday

Shiny side down
17th Oct 2007, 18:10
HOGG
I agree, Bob's 'promotion' only fills me with confidence. A nice guy, who takes time to explain, inform, and generally seems a good guy to have about.
I'm over on the 737. The operation is understandably tighter. But I think that we are/were operating to the required standard. Bob did a line check on one of my trips, and no significant problems, or concerns raised. Just like a normal line check, really.

The Member
18th Oct 2007, 08:13
Which Airline did you work for then Hover Overviewer ? You appear to have worked for one Airline but give an opinion covering ALL airlines.:=

In the last 30 years I have worked for 3 and Commercial ALWAYS talked to Operations and Flight Ops to ensure a route or airfield was acceptable.
How else would Commercial know before contracting or selling if a particular aircraft type or payload could be flown into or out of an airfield safely or be crewed.

As you say you learn something everyday:ugh:

Hover Overviewer
18th Oct 2007, 10:03
Member,
I have worked for various airlines over 25 years. If you read the post correctly, the comment I was refering to is "Hope commercial consult him before just launching a service". I have enough experience gained within an airline HQ enviroment to know that any new route is a "team game".
When I say team game I mean all departments not the say so from one person.

I hope that this satisfies your obviously superior knowledge of working within an airline HQ:rolleyes:.

I am only one post behind you now

I have not learnt anything new today but just confirmed certain belief's.

The Member
18th Oct 2007, 10:55
Sorry Hover Overviewer but I did read your post correctly.

Anyway with your 25 years and my 30 years in Aviation we agree on something!:ok:

Hover Overviewer
18th Oct 2007, 11:30
Member,
I am glad that we agree on at least one point:ok:.

I do feel for the GSM guys as it would appear there has nor been a team approach in GSM HQ. Hopefully, moving on these issues can be rectified and the product can regain the status it should be.

Still only one post behind.:(

The Member
18th Oct 2007, 16:27
I agree with your sentiments Hover Overviewer. In my view the problem within this airline is that it is run on a Dictatorial basis by someone who knows the square root of :mad: about how an airline should be run. It is a miracle they are still flying so that has to be down to the employees below the Top man running the show to the best of their ability and overcoming the constraints placed upon them.:sad:

llondel
18th Oct 2007, 16:47
I guess it's because of our proximity to Stansted and the Globespan operation that we had a piece on the local radio station (BBC Cambridgeshire) on the subject. Congratulations to Ian (shoey1976) for a decent piece, no plunging from 30,000ft, screaming in terror or anything like that :)

ncleflights
18th Oct 2007, 17:10
BBC Website is running a story that for the 1st time in 15 years the CAA has suspended a ETOPS licence - no surprise its GMS!!

shoey1976
18th Oct 2007, 17:26
cheers! nice to have a pat on the back on the day hundreds of us humble hacks here at the Beeb are threatened with redundancy!

the story is also running on BBC online.

Anybody with any information on the above, please don't hesitate to get in touch.
As with the investigation we did in June into crew fatigue, all communications treated in strictest confidence.
Cheers Ian

[email protected] or [email protected] if you'd prefer
07769 977665 mobile
020 8624 9505 office

ScottyDawg
18th Oct 2007, 17:28
It's so disappointing to hear of an organisation that promised so much - and that so many professional employees AND supporting members of the traveling public put their collective faiths into....

Suddenly to have this ignominious situation placed upon them:rolleyes:
- simply can't be good for business - or the traveling public's perception.

It would be benefitial to all - on the basis of understanding where the true root of the problem regarding ETOP'S suspension (i.e. cause and effect) lies.

Other organisations (Astreus for example) operate B737 North Atlantic ETOP's.
It would be helpful to many (and indeed all) orgaisations undertaking similar operations to understand where the real crux of the matter lies - on the basis of exchanging information to ensure this type of ignomony does not develop further and affect any other UK or EU carrier(s)

A frank exchange of problems/solutions is my suggestion - Any takers??

Regards

ScottyD:O

captaintrigger
18th Oct 2007, 17:48
Airline has a licence suspended

Flyglobespan has started providing flights to North America
The regional airline Flyglobespan has had one of its flying licences suspended as a result of serious concerns about its operations.
Several of the Edinburgh-based firm's services to North America have been affected.

The firm has had its 'ETOPS' license, which lets it fly over large expanses of water with two engines, suspended.

The Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) said it is the first time in 15 years a UK operator has lost ETOPS approval.

But the CAA declined to give specific reasons as to why the license had been suspended but said suspending ETOPS approval "is not done lightly".

A spokesman for Flyglobespan said that ETOPS approval has only been suspended on a temporary basis, and that this was because of an isolated problem with subcontractors.

A statement given to the BBC by the CAA said: "On Friday 12 October, we provisionally suspended the airline's ETOPS approval. We will be meeting with the airline later this week to review this decision."

Transatlantic flights

The airline mainly flies from Scotland, including from Glasgow, Aberdeen, and Edinburgh airports and from northern England, including Durham and Newcastle. North American destinations include Calgary, Toronto, Boston and New York.

On transatlantic routes, twin-engine planes without ETOPS clearance are forced to adopt a flight path which never takes them more than an hour away from the nearest airport, in case of engine problems.

European flights do not involve straying more than an hour away from the nearest airport, so no ETOPS licence is needed to operate these flights.

But recently, Flyglobespan has expanded into North America and it is these services which could be affected by the loss of ETOPS.

Without ETOPS, the airline can only fly over the Atlantic via Iceland, Greenland and Canada - an indirect, slower route.

Longer flights burn more fuel, and cost the airline a significant amount of money.

The company says it is confident ETOPS approval will soon be restored.

As well as using its own aircraft on transatlantic routes, Flyglobespan leases aircraft and flight crews from other airlines which can continue to fly to the US.

captaintrigger
18th Oct 2007, 17:50
Airline has a licence suspended
Flyglobespan has started providing flights to North America
The regional airline Flyglobespan has had one of its flying licences suspended as a result of serious concerns about its operations.
Several of the Edinburgh-based firm's services to North America have been affected.
The firm has had its 'ETOPS' license, which lets it fly over large expanses of water with two engines, suspended.
The Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) said it is the first time in 15 years a UK operator has lost ETOPS approval.
But the CAA declined to give specific reasons as to why the license had been suspended but said suspending ETOPS approval "is not done lightly".
A spokesman for Flyglobespan said that ETOPS approval has only been suspended on a temporary basis, and that this was because of an isolated problem with subcontractors.
A statement given to the BBC by the CAA said: "On Friday 12 October, we provisionally suspended the airline's ETOPS approval. We will be meeting with the airline later this week to review this decision."
Transatlantic flights
The airline mainly flies from Scotland, including from Glasgow, Aberdeen, and Edinburgh airports and from northern England, including Durham and Newcastle. North American destinations include Calgary, Toronto, Boston and New York.
On transatlantic routes, twin-engine planes without ETOPS clearance are forced to adopt a flight path which never takes them more than an hour away from the nearest airport, in case of engine problems.
European flights do not involve straying more than an hour away from the nearest airport, so no ETOPS licence is needed to operate these flights.
But recently, Flyglobespan has expanded into North America and it is these services which could be affected by the loss of ETOPS.
Without ETOPS, the airline can only fly over the Atlantic via Iceland, Greenland and Canada - an indirect, slower route.
Longer flights burn more fuel, and cost the airline a significant amount of money.
The company says it is confident ETOPS approval will soon be restored.
As well as using its own aircraft on transatlantic routes, Flyglobespan leases aircraft and flight crews from other airlines which can continue to fly to the US.

Come on Mr D, Get it sorted. Its a good Airline ,don't let it go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CT

ScottyDawg
18th Oct 2007, 19:08
Thank you CaptainTrigger,

Very informatve post. Particularly the comment:

"The Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) said it is the first time in 15 years a UK operator has lost ETOPS approval."
Unquote.

This is very disconcerting news indeed. Not a record that I am sure he "experts" in Colinton (H.O.) are at all proud of - So what indeed is proposed action by FGS to rectify this unfortunate situation???

They really need to make a public statement about their proposals to rectify this unfortunate circumstance... as opposed to sweeping it under the carpet.

Cheers

diesel36
18th Oct 2007, 19:44
Ian

Anyone with info, ask all the cabin crew, you would be able to do a 10 hour radio show with all the crap they gave us.

300-600
18th Oct 2007, 21:05
If GSM s cabin crew are anything like ours then I would not put too much weight on what is said on "Galley FM". Kind of makes the Sunday Sport look like a factual newspaper. My flat mate works for this lot out of Manchester (base closure announced last month-- so not a happy bunny). He showed me an internal e-mail which says that this all centres on one engineering issue (not specified) on a sub contracted aircraft (an Icelandair 757) a couple of months ago. It also says that only 4% of flights are affected by the ETOPs suspension as most of the transatlatic stuff is operated by Neos. GLA - BOS and LPL - JFK are the two flights affected both operated by Globespan.These were due to cease at the end of Oct anyway (which can be verified by looking at their website).

757manipulator
18th Oct 2007, 21:42
He showed me an internal e-mail which says that this all centres on one engineering issue (not specified) on a sub contracted aircraft (an Icelandair 757) a couple of months ago.

I'm told that it is alleged to be far more than one specific engineering issue.

Say again s l o w l y
18th Oct 2007, 22:12
I would be very surprised if it was down to one small problem. The chaps in the FOI usually work with a company to keep the show running. They don't just pull approvals for little or no reason.

I have no information as to why this has happened, but blaming it on "one engineering issue (not specified) on a sub contracted aircraft" doesn't seem to get close to me.

Someone has obviously stuffed up and it may be a paperwork issue, but it is still an almighty slap in the chops from the CAA.

Is MM still the FOI for GSM? He was one of the people who pulled the plug at Emerald. Maybe he just won't put up with any nonsense at all now?

aerotech07
18th Oct 2007, 22:38
One question, and forgive me if its a stupid one... If the problem is with one of the subcontracted aircraft (Neos or Icelandair), how come the subcontractors are still allowed to fly GSM ETOPS routes?

chiglet
19th Oct 2007, 00:20
I posted on another thread as to the practicalities/viabilty of a B737-800 flying MAN-Canada...via Keflavik. Happened umpteen times. If I was a punter, I would not be a "happy bunny"
watp,iktch

doubledolphins
19th Oct 2007, 09:31
Right, so now we have a "sub standard operation" flying a more northerly route than they would like just so they can fly within 400 nms of airfields who's weather may be totally unsuitable. Not very nice. In other words, if any thing goes wrong,the diversion to a suitable airfield may take longer as they are further away than if they were on an ETOPs route.

BOAC
19th Oct 2007, 10:22
as they are further away than if they were on an ETOPs route. - makes me question your knowledge of ETOPS:ugh:

30W
19th Oct 2007, 10:52
BOAC,

What I think he is raising is that they no longer require to have 'Suitable' airfields, only 'Adequate' ones. They could route north across KEF etc with airfields within 400nm all totally 'out' weather wise quite legally, and be further away from an airfield from where the suitable weather exists.

It would require some extremes of weather across the whole route I appreciate, but the basis of what he suggets could technically happen......

Stupid rule I know, but thats what IS actually allowed:ugh:

BOAC
19th Oct 2007, 11:05
all totally 'out' weather wise quite legally - and unless dd has some specific knowledge of such actions I would suggest his/her post should be modified?

crabbers
19th Oct 2007, 14:23
Our local paper has got that story too - LPL-JFK route now also stopping after Knock to refuel?

Figures for the route don't look good either, though I doubt the negative publicity has helped.

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpool-news/regional-news/2007/10/19/liverpool-s-flyglobespan-new-york-route-loses-safety-licence-64375-19975182/

doubledolphins
19th Oct 2007, 18:17
BOAC I suggest you modify your knowledge of non ETOPs twin engine flying.
If you are non ETOPs you must be within 400 nms of an airfieild. The met conditions at that airfield do not matter. Therefore you may be considerably furthur away from a field you can land at than if you are on a proper ETOPs route with flyable weather. Of course airmanship would stop you doing that but what about comercial pressures and "pressonitis".
eg, you may find yourself between Iceland and Greenland on one engine. Sonderstrom and Kef are both out so you flip a coin to decide if you head for Ireland or Newfoundland. Insanely horrible but legal.
I have avoided technical terms so any one can under stand my point. Even a four engine pilot!:ugh:
As Uncle Roger said years ago ETOPS:
Engines Turning Or Passengers Swimming

Mercenary Pilot
19th Oct 2007, 18:20
As Uncle Roger said years ago ETOPS:
Engines Running Or Passengers Swimming

I think you mean: Engines Turning Or Pax Swimming :}

BOAC
19th Oct 2007, 19:00
If you are non ETOPs you must be within 400 nms of an airfieild. - I am quite happy with my knowledge both ETOPS and non. My post referred primarily to the implied 'suggestion' of GS ops in your post. I am prepared to be proved wrong, but I doubt very much a UK operator would launch across unsuitable airfields. On what basis do you brand GS as a "sub standard operation" on non-ETOPS flights?

PS 2 engines

tristar500
19th Oct 2007, 21:01
I think that GSM have taken on more than they can chew.

Starting up a 'European' low-cost airline is no mean feat. GSM did provide a value for money and reliable service and one which got great reviews. However things got a little out-of-hand when the long-haul routes started and aircraft sub-leased out to Air India.

Yeah, its easy money leasing out your aircraft, great money at that too. Never forget though, where you started and the loyal customer base back home. Why fly out of numerous UK airports to numerous long-haul destinations with multiple pickups en route (not forgetting un-planned stops), when GSM could have built up their native European network - then - look to the longhaul market.

Its sad that things now seem to be slipping and once the CAA get involved, its a very lengthly, uphill and expensive process to get back on top of the situation, trying to persuade unhappy and disgruntled pax to fly GSM again.

Open skies loom. It will be very interesting to see how GSM fair in this turbulent spell.

I know crews both flightdeck and cabin who have become very unsettled at GSM in recent months. They are top class people who love their respective jobs but find the daily running and planning to be of complete chaos...

Words of wisdom GSM - Dont end up like Air Scotland! Another great idea and initially well run and liked airline, only to fail due to poor management and planning...

doubledolphins
20th Oct 2007, 10:48
BOAC give it a rest. I am not implying anything. Others have done that. My only experience of GS is that their 767s always looked very shiny when parked alongside mine at SFB and a very nice senior pilot of theirs once offered me a Job whislt we were briefing at SFB.:ok:

I am only pointing out that I have always believed flying accross on the non ETOPS route to be inherantly more dangerous than flying an ETOPs route.
Also it does not do a great deal for GS's carbon footprint:mad:

I would only ever slag off a fellow aviator in person and never on a public forum.

Having said that,

Does your handle imply that you flew for the grand old corporation or simply that you are well aquainted with a lady named Christine:eek:

30W
20th Oct 2007, 11:14
but I doubt very much a UK operator would launch across unsuitable airfields

Are you sure of that?

I ask because a couple of weeks back I operated to FNC. T16 heavily in use by all UK charter operators southbound that day due to the winds. T16 REQUIRES LEST as an ADEQUATE airfield (at the furthest point out on T16 ONLY LEST is within 400nm). LEST weather had been forecast, and was, below operating minima (200-300m, sky obs). Under ETOPS rules LEST could never have been considered (as not suitable), but because flights were non-ETOPS the rules say it 'doesn't matter'.

A range of operators, including my own, all operated happily down T16 that day, and legally so. I appreciate the scenario I describe is 'slightly' different, but how different to the one under discussion? If its legal........

We're coming from the same side as to sensibility, but the rules are written as they are, and the above shows that operators WILL operate to what's legal. They put themselves at commercial disadvantage to build in extra 'above the legal' constraints if their competitors don't do so.

30W

BOAC
20th Oct 2007, 12:54
30 - my comments referred to the route in question.

I agree totally with what you both say about the 'rules', but you have to remember that it is all about statistics and putting in place added protection for a more limiting operation eg oceanic on two. The 400 miles from land is, I believe, a 'ditching' consideration anyway and is based on 'suitable land'? The 'adequate airfield' determinant is based on OEI speed and is not '400 miles'.

Does your handle imply that you flew for the grand old corporation or simply that you are well aquainted with a lady named Christine - Danny 'chose' it for me.:ugh: Q1: a 'partial yes' - the Leper Colony at LGW. 'EOG' would have been a better name. Q2: No-one else knows about that.

Mr @ Spotty M
20th Oct 2007, 16:11
My guess on why Globespan has lost its ETOPS approval would be nothing to do with aircrew, however experienced or not.
It looks to me that Globespan's engineering QA department has screwed up big time and have been using a engineering company to turn around the aircraft without the required CAA type approvals.
This is only a guess but as both the CAA and the FAA are involved it leans towards my theory.
However feel free to shot me down.:uhoh:

groundrat
22nd Oct 2007, 00:31
i'm very loathe to put my two penneth worth in to a flyglobespan thread because it might look like i have an axe to grind but, in all seriousness,the opinion of a lot of people i have spoken to is that GSM will only win the day if they forge ahead with their core business-short haul to europe!the model for that was unrivalled-nobody else was doing it that well from scotland and succeeding!forget the long-haul stuff just now guys-the image has already been tainted,the damage is done.Forge ahead with what works-survive.Bring back passenger confidence then,in a few years,hopefully GSM will be ready to take on the world and they will have the dreamliners in place for the fulfilling of their ambitions-a scottish airline kicking butt with the competition!Things look bad just now but i for one firmly believe that this plucky young company can ride out the storm but i also believe that it has to be by concentrating on what made them great in the first place.This is a bump in the road-nothing more...hopefully.As for the whole ETOPS thing-i don't have a comment to make apart from this-its looking more and more like a witchunt evry day.Every LOCO has issues and they aren't spotlighted like this.Someone has got a personal axe to grind with GSM and hopefully,the CAA will see right through it.I for one do not believe that all the rumours and stories going about are true-they just cant be.Surely not.

fmgc
22nd Oct 2007, 07:07
30W,

You make a very valid point about trundling off down T16.

I have often wondered if SCQ was out what the legalities were but could never find anything about it in our manuals.

It would seem to be a situation that the authorities need to legislate for.

I feel fairly confident that in my Co, if SCQ was out, that they would happily reroute me if I asked.

How is FNC these days, haven't been there for years, often fly down to TFS and listen to the FNC weather to see how exciting it might be! :p

pilotmike
22nd Oct 2007, 11:02
Does anybody know if rumours of pilots being laid off are true?

Say again s l o w l y
22nd Oct 2007, 11:32
I don't think so. All I've spoken to are in the process of bailing out or at least looking elsewhere, but no-one has mentioned redundancies at Edi or Gla.

I certainly do know that a load of people who were thinking about joining or were about to, have all decided not to. I think they'll find it even harder to get experienced people now and that has always been the problem.

My understanding of the ETOPS "problem" is that it is down to the experience levels of the crews operating the routes. I have no hard evidence to back this up and I suspect no-one else outside of the management team or the CAA has either, but that is the current gossip amongst the GSM crews.

wheelbarrow
22nd Oct 2007, 11:44
Yeah thats correct say again slowly.
I know of a number of B767/737NG captains and first officers who are just about to walk. All dumping the agency and have got jobs after a week/month of taking some r&r, and the advise was passed to them by a higher authority (not saying which organisation).
Ryanair will take any ng guys asap.
Guess its time................ Bye Bye now

X Jimmy

Mr @ Spotty M
22nd Oct 2007, 16:27
Just a point on what l have read in the Travel press, here is what was quoted.
It is believed to be related to an incident in early summer involving a US-based subcontractor. The CAA confirmed the US Federal Aviation Administration is involved.
This is why l believe it is not aircrew related as it would be a CAA issue only, if it was aircrew.:uhoh:

Pontious
23rd Oct 2007, 11:39
Wheelbarrow & S a s,
The pair of you know absolutely nothing about GSM's loss of ETOPS cert. Spotty M is closer to the mark.

Ponsh :ok:

Say again s l o w l y
23rd Oct 2007, 11:48
I seem to remember typing that I had no evidence to back up any assertations, but having seen a company lose approvals before, it takes an awful lot more than just one isolated incident unless it was an extremely serious problem.

The other point is that no-one here actually knows, it is all just speculation.

I'll assure you of one thing though, there certainly are lots of people on the way out of GSM. That is beyond question.

wheelbarrow
23rd Oct 2007, 14:34
Ah ure right there Pontious pirate that i know not much of the etops loss. No interest really. monkeys Nuts???Only going on what the other half tells me about the proposed mass exodus from the airtaxi wannanbee airline.

You did ok out of it :eek:

Regards

Jimmy

PPRuNeUser0178
23rd Oct 2007, 22:02
Lots of people trying to hang GSM's problems with ETOPS on the lease deals done this summer and that is the only area of concern that the CAA are interested in.

However, if that were the case why has the CAA pulled all their FTL alleviations then?

Even their dual basing aleviation has been pulled!

despegue
23rd Oct 2007, 23:28
The Subcontractors have absolutely nothing to do with the ETOPS issues at GSM.
Icelandair still flies happily ETOPS on it's flights and has never been under investigation.
It is sadtosee howsomepeople always blame problems on others .

bonernow
25th Oct 2007, 10:24
As of this morning the contractors at GSM are being let go. About thirty pilots are being asked to leave over the winter period and then return in March.

Callsign Kilo
25th Oct 2007, 12:31
Will some 737s be sent out on winter lease arrangments due to the quieter schedule through winter?

nivsy
25th Oct 2007, 13:16
Whats going tohappen next then....a buy out by EZY???:ouch:

W Cdr Gibson
25th Oct 2007, 13:43
The ETOPS suspension is just the tip of the iceberg. The safety regulation group of the CAA are investigating other allegations of malpractice in terms of FDP's of both Flight Deck and Cabin Crew. I also understand that the CAA's Head of Operating Standards is now conducting an investigation of his own. Watch this space.

G-IBBO
25th Oct 2007, 14:02
Once again, just want to point out that WCG is not me. Nothing else to add :cool:

Nil further
25th Oct 2007, 14:47
A buy out by EZY !!!!! no thank you , we dont want this shower of amateurs , we will finish them off commercially next year anyway .Major amount of new routes coming in Scotland , head to head there is no way that they can compete with us.

Mr Angry from Purley
25th Oct 2007, 16:51
Nil Further - unless you don't have an AOC maybe? :\

PPRuNeUser0178
25th Oct 2007, 17:21
Mr Angry, I think you missread.

I believe Nil Further was speaking from EZY's point of view rather than GSM.

Rgds

ED

Nil further
25th Oct 2007, 20:36
Mr Angry , we have now got two if you include Gb 's :ok:

I do agree that the shower of avid self publicists , amateurs , pysychotic managers , remember the rant by Mr Q on this forum ? will be devoid of an AOC in the near future if the current trend continues .

Well do i remember the GSM that pushed in heavy snow last winter without de-icing only to prevented from taxiing by the tug crew who were so concerned about it .

The "Helios" incident they had, hangar maintenance done outdoors on the ramp at GLA , fill your boots , this lot are headed for trouble !

Mr Angry from Purley
26th Oct 2007, 16:38
Ezy / Nil
Apologies. :\

PPRuNeUser0178
26th Oct 2007, 17:29
Apparantly the large brown suitcase ,filled with used, non sequencial notes has reached the appropriate toilet cubicle at the CAA and GSMs ETOPS has been restored with immediate effect.

Perhaps due to some management, er, re-arranging?:confused:

old,not bold
26th Oct 2007, 17:46
Ezydriver, don't be silly, that sort of thing went out with B*F, otherwise known as The FOIs' Friend.

ScottyDawg
26th Oct 2007, 17:48
Perhaps an individual from the management (or mis-management) as it was -
has fallen on their sword

Thus renewing the (misplaced) faith that who is left as the "accountable manager" :ugh: - will be left alone and given appropriate autonomy to address the obvious shortcomings :cool:

Yeah right... I can just see Mr D. sitting down and being openminded to the forthcoming lecture..!!

Cheers
SD:O

captaintrigger
27th Oct 2007, 08:52
As of yesterday Flyglobespan was regranted its ETOPS approval with immediate effect!!

Hopefully that will have scared Mr D so he might now take things a bit more seriously!!

CT

matkat
27th Oct 2007, 09:33
Thanks to very hard work by the engineering director.Mr MK

AEUENG
27th Oct 2007, 10:41
Here here! Martin is a good bloke and has coped well since his "baptism of fire" arriving at GSM.

Lets hope ******* takes heed from this close call and starts to build his business constructively rather than bimbling his way from one disaster to another.

Good luck to all at GSM anyway.

matkat
27th Oct 2007, 10:58
AEUENG, you are right about Martin but I wonder just how much longer He can put up with it when JM left it was hoped He would not be treated in the same way but it appears to be worse.:ugh:

False Capture
27th Oct 2007, 19:47
Why did they lose it in the first place?

Say again s l o w l y
27th Oct 2007, 19:58
That's good news. Sounds like a corner has been turned. I hope it continues.

AEUENG
27th Oct 2007, 22:35
MATKAT,

You are right, Jim had to bare the brunt of TD for long enough and did a good job whilst there. He is doing a good job for Storm Aviation at the mo at Manchester.

Mr.D at GSM is good at what he does (ie tour operating) but when it comes to running an airline, he needs to delegate his power to experienced and well trusted folk within the Airline sector to make a success of his airline business. He has his head screwed on as his history shows witin the tour operating business.

I hope for all concerned that lessons can be learnt from the recent misdemeanours.

ggspn
28th Oct 2007, 12:12
GSM's GLA-BCN route has suffered the most for the past week, today's has been canx.

GSM SCOT
28th Oct 2007, 14:46
The GLA pax were bused through to EDI and will fly from there to BCN and same for the return flight.

G-MSJF is still tech in GLA, the engine manufacturer is now looking into the problem.

nivsy
28th Oct 2007, 15:47
And todays article in the Sunday Mail (Scottish) was also not very good publicity for GSM with delays etc. I also hope it gets better for GSM - because regardless Scotland in particular have been crying out for an operator like them. Its also really worth noting I think that EZY never did really bother about Scotland on a european level until the arrival of GSM and for me...whenever possible - but also taking into consideration prices - I use GSM between AGP and GLA.

Nivsy

ggspn
28th Oct 2007, 22:21
http://www.sundaymail.co.uk/news/scottish-news/2007/10/28/budget-airline-panned-over-delays-78057-20021006/

Yes, it was ironic seeing this in the paper today as a few pages after this article was an advert for FGS.

I believe this is the start of something bad for globespan. At this point holiday watchdog companies will be looking into matters, only to further publicize globespan's errors.

groundrat
29th Oct 2007, 22:53
Very good GSM SCOT..."looking into the problem"....HAH!!The last time i looked over to stand 65 (where JF has sat for a week or so now at GLA),it was looking like the engineers were preparing to do an engine change!
Its a shame that they have to work outside in the p*****g rain due to the lack of a hangar and that the EZY pax get a good view of everything from the east pier(where most of that airlines flights depart from GLA)!Bloody brilliant advert!!:ugh:
I take it that its all Boeings fault??
Or GE?
It will be somebody elses fault as usual!!
Just another day in the hapless life of this terminally ill excuse for an airline i guess!!
Looks like you might well be turning a corner-straight into another dead end anyway!
By the way,is GCDKD still sitting in SEN without its engines??
Hah!!Even if you guys could fix your "fleet",you probably wouldn't be able to find anybody to fly the equipment as you're currently "downsizing" and "restructuring" the workforce for the winter program!Pathetic!Heads in the sand hoping the problem goes away is not going to work i'm afraid.
:yuk::yuk::yuk::yuk::yuk:

jimbo canuck
30th Oct 2007, 18:58
Notice this flight is routing via Goose Bay today - is it because it's a 737 or is it non-ETOPS?

Callsign Kilo
30th Oct 2007, 20:14
More than likely a 737

groundrat
30th Oct 2007, 22:05
not sure..but think it started off in MAN.These pax will be pretty annoyed(and tired)after their impromptu tour of various airports but i think that's the way its going to be all winter.I'm not surprised though.Anyone else?Quite a few "rescheduled" departures ex GLA today.The YHM flight must be a 73 with a fuel stop as ETOPS restored now that i think about it...never really noticed but pax on other flights were getting bussed to EDI-again.Its becoming the daily norm around here.

touch&go
31st Oct 2007, 08:17
groundrat, out of the 17 post you have posted on prune 11 are anti Globespan, one would think you have an ulterior motive.

Blackball
31st Oct 2007, 08:28
out of the 17 post you have posted on prune 11 are anti Globespan. It would seem to me touch&go that his nickname says it all.

Out of the all the posts in the last few years you have posted on prune all are pro Globespan, most recently a very public slanging match with a former camp follower and now bitterly critical ex employee.

touch&go
31st Oct 2007, 09:33
I'm all for good debate and prune use to be informative, funny and most of all interesting, but over the years this has all but gone, all the professionals I talk to all say it has descended into a slagging match and has been hijacked by people who either are arm chair experts, or use it for personal vendettas against previous employers or just jump on the bandwagon for a good old bitch.

OK point taken but please tell me what has post No 88 got to do with the thread subject?

This space above is freely provided by PPRuNe for touch and go to provide the list of other UK operators with an ETOPS suspension in the last 18 years.

Topslide6
31st Oct 2007, 17:48
I was pretty suprised to read this on the BALPA website. Unusually strongly worded and to the point!

Media & Press • Wednesday, October 31, 2007 NEWS from BALPA

British Airline Pilots’ Association
Thursday 18th October 2007

PILOTS ‘NOT SURPRISED’ AT SCOTTISH AIRLINE LICENCE LOSS

Commenting on today’s announcement that FlyGlobeSpan’s special “ETOPs” long haul operating licence has been withdrawn by the UK’s Civil Aviation Authority (CAA), Captain Mervyn Granshaw, Chairman of the British Airline Pilots’ Association (BALPA), said:

‘In our opinion the three major attributes that are present in all the world’s safer airlines are:

‘First, pilots are treated as professionals, are respected and are encouraged to work in partnership with the employer and there is not a high turnover indicating safety fears.

‘Secondly, the airline registers itself in a state that has a competent civil aviation authority e.g. UK CAA. This can be seen from the registration letters which for the UK all start with ‘G-‘

‘Thirdly, there is an experienced and safety conscious management that does not challenge aircraft Commanders on points of safety.’

‘The evidence suggests this is not the case in FlyGlobeSpan and BALPA is not surprised at the CAA’s decision.’

End

Editor’s Note:
FlyGlobeSpan is s Scottish airline based at Edinburgh.

MarkD
31st Oct 2007, 19:59
Secondly, the airline registers itself in a state that has a competent civil aviation authority e.g. UK CAA. This can be seen from the registration letters which for the UK all start with ‘G-‘I thought Globespan was UK Type A registered?

ggspn
1st Nov 2007, 18:11
Why are people getting so personal with people commenting on GSM (in both positive and negative ways)? Lets face it, GSM are a poor airline. They blame others for their own mistakes, and they're the only airline in many years to have their ETOPS license taken away. How can anyone defend that..?

At the end of the day, they're "Scotland's Airline" and I wish them all the best.. I hope they get their act together as I believe with the right moves they can become a fantastic airline. For the moment though, they're too greedy. Until they start thinking about their passengers, I'll be ashamed that their "Scotland's Airline".

It's sad to think that only a year or 2 ago they were a promising airline... until they started longhaul routes, leasing their aircraft and leasing aircraft from other airlines. In fact, ever since they moved from Aviance to Alba (GSM's own handling agent) in Glasgow, the delays have got worse. I'm assuming it's not Alba's fault as Alba are GSM.

mightymouse111
2nd Nov 2007, 09:02
'Scotlands Airline'???? AOC based in England down south.

carbheathot
2nd Nov 2007, 10:28
Following this years shambolic performance at Teesside this year, and having done what they can to hasten the demise of that Airport, GSM can remain as "Scotlands Airline".I fear for the future of Scots Commercial Aviation!

webby1919
2nd Nov 2007, 14:46
GSM appear to have brought their routes and A/C back to GLA/EDI for W07, and hopefully they'll be able to get back on track for S08 starting up. The ABZ base will be seasonal again for S08 with 1 A/C operating much the same routes except taking over the AGP route from ZB. THe GLA base looks like it'll be 5 A/C for SH and 2 A/C for longhaul. EDi is 5 based SH and MME is 1 based A/C for SH.

According to news reports, LPL is being looked at again for restarting the JFK flights in Spring. I don't see them being direct to JFK, more like via NOC again. And there were mentions of another route or 2 being served from LPL by GSM, possibly SFB/BOS?

NOC routes all sold very well, and i wouldn't be surprised if GSM set up base there year-round direct from NOC-JFK/BOS/SFB.

All the Canadian routes are due to go on sale again for S08 in a few weeks time, there are rumours that they sold so well this summer that there is going to be 6 daily flights (just hoping on our own A/C!).

Pontious
2nd Nov 2007, 15:00
They've got a new DFO and lets give them a chance. After all he has the support of his line crews, and if the CAA deemed them unsafe, then they wouldn't be operating would they? They got their ETOPS back after 10 days and it was due originally to an engineering cock up NOT a Flight Ops issue, now was there anything else or can we let this matter rest?

:ok:

airhumberside
2nd Nov 2007, 15:04
The short haul aircraft at GLA and EDI have low utilisation which should help with recovering from delays

THe GLA base looks like it'll be 5 A/C for SH and 2 A/C for longhaul.
Does that include the YYC/YVR aircraft. And what about BOS - long haul route, short haul aircraft :confused:

webby1919
2nd Nov 2007, 15:11
Yeah it does include the YVR and YYC routes. The BOS route was showing as having business class next year. I'd imagine it'll go on either a B752 or a B73G again. It probably won't be daily though, unless it goes via NOC. The loads were good going direct to BOS from GLA but were sold out on most flights going via NOC. Think GSM have hit a little goldmine with NOC longhaul. I don't think there will be any expansion of longhaul routes for S08 other than what we see SFB/YVR/YYC/YHM/JFK/BOS routes from the UK. I think this is best too - focus on building these routes up and then build up some more gradually.

spantheman
2nd Nov 2007, 15:26
Having just been made redundant this week, with not even a thanks for your hard work,and being MAN/LPL based I find it amazing that in the same week GSM are harking on about expanding from LPL with this route and that route the truth is that most LPL pax would rather walk then suffer the same delays and dreadful customer service they received this summer( and they would probably get there quicker ) .

Tom the Tenor
2nd Nov 2007, 15:29
Delighted to hear that the Knock to JFK and BOS sectors have done well.

Three cheers for Knock and Flyglobespan HO on this one.

Shows what can be done with some guts.

webby1919
2nd Nov 2007, 15:37
It is good, I can see NOC becoming a base over in Ireland for GSM once the open skies is in effect from March 08. If these routes are to start in Spring they better get them online for booking.

ggspn
2nd Nov 2007, 17:49
Sorry to hear that span.

Thistle MacWhistle
2nd Nov 2007, 19:25
NOC-BOS/JFK did well because two US based tour operators took hard blocks on all the flights, taking on 40-50% of the inventory depending on the month. Plus as GSM pulled the plug on the LPL JFK and GLA BOS non-stops due to underperformance they moved passengers to the through flights via NOC which took up even more space. Nevertheless, NOC did perform well overall and has a future, just hopefully with a more responsible airline.

The people at IWA Knock did a superb job marketing it as well and it was disheartening to see how poorly GSM served the route. Numerous and lengthy delays, no accurate flight information, and GSM's famously disgraceful take or leave it customer service mentality all contributed to an overall less than satisfactory experience.

Nevertheless, NOC did perform well overall and has a future with the right aircraft on several TATL routes, just hopefully with a more responsible airline.

Thistle MacWhistle

Flightrider
3rd Nov 2007, 15:50
Long-haul plan:

1 x 767 on Sanford

1 x 767 on Vancouver: Mon MAN/DUB/YVR, Tue LGW/YYC/YVR, Wed GLA/YYC/YVR, Thu nil, Fri MAN/YYC/YVR, Sat GLA/YYC/YVR, Sun LGW/YYC/YVR

1 x 757 on Hamilton: Mon LGW/YHM, Tue MAN/YHM, Wed LGW/SNN/YHM, Thu MAN/YHM, Fri DUB/YHM, Sat LGW/YHM, Sun MAN/YHM

1 x 737-800 in Hamilton: Mon LPL/KEF/YHM, Tue BRS/KEF/YHM, Wed BHX/KEF/YHM, Thu DSA/KEF/YHM, Fri NCL/KEF/YHM, Sat EDI/KEF/YHM, Sun BFS/KEF/YHM.

1 x 737-800 in Glasgow: Mon GLA/NOC/BOS, Tue GLA/KEF/YHM, Wed GLA/KEF/YHM, Thu GLA/NOC/BOS, Fri GLA/KEF/YHM, Sat GLA/KEF/YHM

TechProblem
4th Nov 2007, 08:53
Oh, MAN on 767 routes, if they ever get them back in one piece from Air India and Virgin Nigeria. Nice in thought but atm i cant see it happening.

Pontious
4th Nov 2007, 11:00
Techproblem
GSM have a 767 going to VirginNigeria? When?

DTVAirport
4th Nov 2007, 11:02
Sorry to go slightly off-topic here, but is it just me or can Virgin Nigeria not stick with a single fleet? They've gone through A320s, B733s, A330s, A340s, B763ERs and probably more since they launched a couple of years ago!

diesel36
4th Nov 2007, 11:32
Its only a rumour, so is Santa Barbara Airlines,

As for that programme if its correct, who the hell would book with GSM

Why in gods name a 737 tranatlantic, pax hate it, and i know i did enough

of them. they never give what they advertise. :ugh::ugh:

DONTTELLTHEPAX
4th Nov 2007, 11:47
Maybe GSM are praying that Joe public wont know what a 737 is but I guess when they find out they wont book with GSM again.

diesel36
4th Nov 2007, 11:57
The joe public are not so stupid anymore, they know what they want.

Only a few wont care which is not enough to keep that co going.

All summer selling premium economy, its the same pitch as economy on the 757, oh you get a free drink and a meal on a tray instead of in a bag.

There even saying there doing JFK from liverpool next year.

Yeah probably on a 727 with 10 stops. nobody will fly with them from liverpool after the shambles this year.

As you can tell im another one thats been shafted by this co, cant make money flying from manchester we were told,

Oh is that why flights from manchester on sale.:rolleyes:

webby1919
5th Nov 2007, 10:16
It's a shame about the MAN/LPL base, thought this would have been a cert to stay as a main longhaul base. GSM have brought everything back to GLA/EDI to get themselves sorted out over W07. There are longhaul ops from MAN next year, and they are planning to use their own A/C next year. 2 B739ERs have been mentioned to operate LH flights to YHM. Will have to wait and see what is launched. As for the schedule that is posted earlier, not sure if this is correct. I'd see BOS 4 weekly, with 2 of these going via NOC and YHM 5 weekly from GLA direct.

Mr A Tis
5th Nov 2007, 14:07
According to the sched above, they intend to fly MAN/YHM 757 on a Monday and, on the same day operate a B738 from 30 miles down the road from LPL to YHM via KEF.
It just doesn't make sense:confused::confused::confused:

caaardiff
5th Nov 2007, 14:25
It just doesn't make sense

Bear in mind this is the Flyglobespan thread ..... Anything is possible after this summer!!:ugh::ugh::}

Skipness One Echo
5th Nov 2007, 14:33
Of the three Globespan B767-300 ( G-CDPT / G-CEFG / G-CEOD ) sourced from Air New Zealand and painted in Globespan colours, how many will fly passenger services from the UK for them in Summer 2008?
Also, do we have a source from where the B757s are coming from as I believe their one and only B757 is being returned this month?
Thanks

diesel36
5th Nov 2007, 19:17
As said by Caaardiff were talking about GSM

the said 757 is still knackered, probably gone the knackers yard :D:D

Does not matter what they put on the website they will change it and add 3 stops anyway....:ugh:

freightdoggy dog
6th Nov 2007, 14:24
The flightdeck in STN use to call the B757s Hotrod 1 and Hotrod 2, due to the number of engine changes..my mate Wah Wah spent most of the summer in the hangar fixing em...no wonder he was smiling with all the o/t.

Pity the poor pax that got well shafted on frame changes and multi stops over the pond. Weren't this lot involved in the demise of Sabre? but then I guess that was someone elses fault as well.

ScottyDawg
6th Nov 2007, 15:43
Just a bit of info'-
There seems to be a right old slanging match going on in the "Flyglobespan" Section of www.cabincrew.com

Some of the postings make for alarming reading - if indeed they are true and substantiated:rolleyes:

The thrust of the allegation is that following ETOPS suspension and subsequent re-instatement - that an ETOPS flight was conducted with substantial ETOPS equipment missing from the aircraft -

Posted by ggggg today (06th Nov)on www.cabincrew.com

This is exactly what happened - The outbound crew did not notice during their pre-flight checks that the liferafts, survival packs and ETOPS safety cards were not in place. It was only when the aircraft had already landed in JFK after operating an ETOPS certified route, when the Inbound operating Cabin Crew realised during their checks the items were missing. The aircraft then operated a non ETOPS certified route back to U.K. ooops!!

What about insurance validity re, liabilities etc. rgarding non-conformity???

This is getting beyond the joke and if factually confirmed something needs to be done about these muppets :8 - I do hope the regulatory authorities are really putting this lot under the microscope.

Cheers

diesel36
6th Nov 2007, 17:59
Freightdoggy

its fireball one and two:eek:

Scottydawg Its true people have spoke to the crew, just another shambles:D:D

groundrat
7th Nov 2007, 13:55
I notice that its been almost a week since my last post and now that i have calmed down,let me just say i DO have personal issues with GSM as do lots of other pax that have been dumped on this past summer.However, i thought this was a forum where free opinion was allowed-obviously not as i have seemingly annoyed quite a few folk that can't handle the TRUTH!!Whatever-so they got ETOPS back...big deal.I KNOW that GSM are still under investigation by the CAA and i am not going to reveal how i know that but it's true.I AM NOT A LIAR.Take it for what it is.Goodbye and good luck.

jethro15
7th Nov 2007, 14:03
Does anyone know where the remaining B757 is at the moment and what it's doing?

ROSSKi MYT
7th Nov 2007, 15:59
G-CEJM The Remaing 757 is doing Gla-SFB And I Think Possibly YHM For The Winter. Im Sure Its Doing Sfb Though

gflynorw
7th Nov 2007, 16:21
CEJM is currently in Lasham, awaiting a PW Engine after it apparently cutout during the MOD contract.

Skipness One Echo
7th Nov 2007, 16:28
Hope not, it's a Rolls Royce powered machine!

little bubba
7th Nov 2007, 17:10
I don't usually write on these forums,but I would like to say- even though there is so much bad press concerning FlyGlobespan (nearly all of which is rightly justified) and they have nearly destroyed their reputation due to the programme they tried to pull off this summer.Things are changing and hopefully for the better.It's a terrible blow to lose all the fantastic crew and flightdeck alike from gla,man,and stn,they were the frontline for all the problems behind the scenes and should be commended for coping through it all.
It looks like they have had to do this if the company is to survive which hopefully it does and different people are now in position to make this happen.It will be a long process and I for one hope they do get there as there are still alot of people here working really hard and want to have a job in 6 months.Hopefully from the flight deck and cabincrew point of view the respective unions will win recognition soon which will create better working conditions and regulate their practices alot better:)

captaintrigger
7th Nov 2007, 17:54
There have been so many complaints about flyglobespan it has made it to watchdog.......Tonight 2000L BBC1

CT

warkman
7th Nov 2007, 18:04
there is a report on Cabin Crew that AFTER they got ETOPS back a flight went out sans rescue equipment 30/10/07

"This is exactly what happened - The outbound crew did not notice during their pre-flight checks that the liferafts, survival packs and ETOPS safety cards were not in place. It was only when the aircraft had already landed in JFK after operating an ETOPS certified route, when the Inbound operating Cabin Crew realised during their checks the items were missing. The aircraft then operated a non ETOPS certified route back to U.K. ooops!! "

Supposidly FGS are on Watchdog tonight??

toledoashley
7th Nov 2007, 18:09
A complete mess if you ask me.

757_Driver
7th Nov 2007, 18:38
in my previous (non flying) career I worked for a major multinational company that got (falsely) pilloried by Watchdog. The BBC eventually had to issue a public apology, on the threat of major court action.
almost all of what they said was made up (i.e lies) in order to support a claim they had made previously, and they kept on building a larger and larger pile of lies, as they refused to admit they had made a mistake.

On that basis, I would take anything shown on watchdog with a huge pinch of salt. Its gutter journalism at its worst.
No doubt Globespan have had a few problems and peed a few people off, but it will almost certainly be blown out of all proportion by the D rate journo's on that program.

JulietNovemberPapa
7th Nov 2007, 18:46
Watchdog's a load of utterly biased, boring rubbish.

PPRuNeUser0178
7th Nov 2007, 19:14
seemed fairly accurate, for once.:}

StoneyBridge Radar
7th Nov 2007, 19:58
With respect, Watchdog have been holding back on this for months simply to ensure that this time they were absolutely on the mark.
Kudos for their dilligence.

Wee Willy McGorbals
7th Nov 2007, 20:21
Can you blame Nicky Campbell for getting his facts right when he is dealing with a middle aged man who wears t-shirts with hillarious slogans on?

Did anyone see Autumnwatch on BBC 2? Wild Boar in the Forest of Dean.

Mr @ Spotty M
7th Nov 2007, 21:13
Well l got it wrong, l said in March that they would make Watchdog this summer, however only out by a week.

luvly jubbly
8th Nov 2007, 10:11
http://www.bbc.co.uk/consumer/tv_and_radio/watchdog/reports/holidays_and_travel/holiday_20071107.shtml

operationsair
8th Nov 2007, 13:47
Nice, near tail scrape on rotation.

8th Nov 2007, 17:48
Does anybody know what routes is the third 767 to do ?

GW76
8th Nov 2007, 17:56
Routes for Air India , Virgin Nigeria or another random airline elsewhere.

8th Nov 2007, 18:07
What about summer 08 anybody know what routes the third 767 will be doing or will that still be on lease ? Will GSM be flying to boston and new york next year ?

luvly jubbly
9th Nov 2007, 10:36
I should imagine the 3rd B763 willl be covering the West Canada routes next summer, with the B752 doing Sanfords. I guess any BOS or YHM would have to be on the B738s and B73Gs again.

I must admit that on the telly, the tailskid looked rather close to the RWY, but from that distance with telephoto lenses it's very difficult to judge.
With F5, a B737-800 would only have 20" RWY clearance at the correct rotation rate anyway.

ROSSKi MYT
9th Nov 2007, 19:54
One of the 767's does the SFB routes during the summer period.. The 757 does sfb winter only

9th Nov 2007, 20:02
so if theres a 767 doing sanford and other doing vancover,calgary what route will the third 767 do would they maybe use that on routes to Jfk ?

ROSSKi MYT
9th Nov 2007, 22:47
Doubt It, Probibly Away With An Other Airline.

Stewart28
10th Nov 2007, 12:32
Does the 737 have to stop over somewhere for fuel when doing the BOS and New York route

10th Nov 2007, 19:31
Think there still sent up 2 KEF if there using a 737 on these routes unless it goes through NOC ! Will GSM be launching any new long-haul destinations next year ? Does anybody think they will bring back JFK ?

haughtney1
10th Nov 2007, 19:56
Does anybody think they will bring back JFK ?

Can't see it happening, given that the Port authority of NYC has allegedly banned them from operating there after their abandonment of passengers a wee while back.

GW76
10th Nov 2007, 22:25
The 737-700 can easily operate direct from GLA to BOS and has done all summer on the days it didnt go via NOC.

ROSSKi MYT
10th Nov 2007, 22:51
Doubt Any New Long haul will be introduced for now. Id like to see Glasgow- JFK ,LAX launched. Can always dream

11th Nov 2007, 10:55
Will GSM be leasing more aircraft for summer 08 ?

goldeneye
11th Nov 2007, 12:49
With daily CO GLA-EWR, US GLA-PHL, along with the double daily CO EDI-EWR and daily DL EDI-JFK i can see GSM launching an NYC flight from Scotland.

Is the Boston flight returning for next summer ?

nilmul
11th Nov 2007, 20:43
Flyglobespan had a few problems and pee'd a few people off :ugh: listen mate they had and did more than that, no one has mentioned the problems that FGS that flying load of crap had at LPL bloody daily, talk about not knowing your :mad:from your elbow, a shambles from the top down,Watchdog has only scrapped the tip of this baby

alangirvan
11th Nov 2007, 22:21
Will GSM be the official airline of the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games?

ggspn
11th Nov 2007, 22:36
Unlucky, yes. However, they had a choice. They had several 767's that they decided to fob off to make some extra cash, so instead of using their own aircraft for their own routes they decided to use lesser aircraft from other airlines to operate the routes.

They can't constantly blame the aircraft they got from other airlines when their own aircraft were sent to India.

I hear that Watchdog's next episode have a second part of FGS's antics.

Will GSM be the official airline of the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games?

If they're bringing the Commonwealth to Glasgow then the games will no doubt be delayed to 2015... Assuming they're still in operation :rolleyes:

codpiece face
12th Nov 2007, 06:47
I'm sorry but the neos aircraft cannot be included in all of this, they ran very well all summer, can anyone give details of any major tech delays with these aircraft?. They were well supported by neos and well maintained by the maintenance providers on both sides of the atlantic, and as such cannot be grouped with aircraft from other airlines that appeared to be jinxed.

14 loop
12th Nov 2007, 06:52
I flew with both and had good experiences on both.

I know TF-FIS & FIT had their problems over the summer but I'd agree with codpiece face, Neos did well for punctuality right through the summer - you could almost set your watch by the inbound GSM922 YVR-LGW as it passed over the house!

carbheathot
12th Nov 2007, 12:52
Indeed this experience was repeated at teesside most of this summer.I could regularly set my watch by the GSM from Malaga as it flew over my house on left base for 23 at 20.15
Problem was that the scheduled time was 14.15;)

theredbarron
13th Nov 2007, 15:43
I’ve been reading the recent post-ETOPS loss thread with interest and trying to sort out the postings of those who clearly have a personal axe to grind (disgruntled ex-employees or working for competitors?) from those who are willing to discuss GSM rationally and without personal malice. It’s not been easy !

I’ve also been keeping an eye on GSM’s punctuality since the winter schedules came in and I have to say there has been a massive improvement. OK, less pressure on the fleet but let’s hope that it allows them to get it together in time for their 2008 summer schedule.

I am sure that TD will have learned his lesson. He’s nobody’s fool; I guess he just made the mistake of believing that he could go on repeating his initial success and bit off more than he could chew. They need to consolidate their route network and the summer 08 schedules appear to suggest that that lesson is being learned, particularly with the dropping of the NOC/BOS route and the YHM routes from the English regional airports.

Let’s give them a chance. TD saw the gap in the market which the English low cost carriers were ignoring and stepped in to fill it, and it has to be said expand it considerably to the extent that Eazy and Jet2 were able to come in on the back of his and his team’s hard work.

I have to agree the comments on the reliability of the NEOS aircraft. Few problems. As for the 737-700 going out over the oggin – why not ? Many transatlantic routes out of Glasgow or Edinburgh simply couldn’t support a regular 767 service and the NG 737 is a very much more economic aircraft than the 757, which would probably be the only other alternative

13th Nov 2007, 19:17
Are GSM launching Boston again ? Also why did GSM cancel the flights to Cyprus Pahos from MME ? Are there to be any new Destinations for GLA ?

theredbarron
13th Nov 2007, 19:42
All is revealed in their 08 timetable, which shows no BOS services at all. Paphos ex MME probably a casualty of their cutting back on services from other than EDI and GLA plus Canada from MAN and LGW as well, in attempt to consolidate their network

markbarbera
13th Nov 2007, 21:39
From what I understand, the full Summer 08 schedule hasn't yet been released, particularly for YHM.

webby1919
14th Nov 2007, 10:02
BOS still to be released for S08. Should go 4 weekly, probably 2 via NOC like S07.

YHM to be released for all airports for S08. Should see the usual GLA/MAN/LGW/EDI/SNN/DUB/BFS/LPL/BHX/EXT flights. Rumour was 6 daily flights into YHM from the UK. Will have to wait and see when the schedule is released.

There are still some capacity to fill from GLA for 5 A/C for SH this summer. Maybe ATH returning/SSH

Pontious
14th Nov 2007, 12:00
theredbarron,
I don't know where you learnt your maths but on 'long,thin' routes such as UK-YHM, the 757 is a much more efficient machine compared to the NG. It can easily make YHM from any of the mentioned UK departure points non-stop whereas the 737NG struggles hence all the tech. stopping in Kef' or St. Johns. And that's before you factor in the ferocious North Atlantic headwinds.

It may burn slightly more fuel but carries about 20 more pax (bonafide Buisness class hi yield), negates a costly tech stop for fuel therefore reduces possibilty of tech problems and doesn't expire the life of the aircraft as quickly as the airframe doesn't have to pressurise & de-pressurise.

Boeing designed this aircraft for the exact type of route GSM want to operate in UK-YHM.

14th Nov 2007, 15:44
Will they just leave the summer 08 schedule from MME and only base 1 plane down there ? How many planes do GSM have based at GLA and EDI ? GSM have also launched there YHM flights for summer 08 from GLA/LGW/MAN/BRS/DUB/BFS ! No sign of NCL/EXT etc and they are only doing a twice weekly flight from GLA/LGW the rest 1 flight a week ! Unless that isn't the full schedule but by the looks of things it will just be 1 plane doing the route with the 752 doing it probably.

airhumberside
15th Nov 2007, 09:50
YHM flight now on sale for next summer

EDI
GLA
BFS
DUB
BRS - new
LGW
MAN

Nothing (yet) for SNN, NCL, DSA, LPL, BHX, EXT and STN (though I think STN is definetly going with the base closure there)

mmeteesside
15th Nov 2007, 14:31
One of the weekly GLA flights looks to be a split load coming from LGW, the other one is a YHM based aircraft though. Anyone know whats happening with MME? still 2 aircraft required from end of May til end of Sep because of the Saturday Jersey.

15th Nov 2007, 16:59
Do you think they will launch anymore YHM flights from SNN, NCL, DSA, LPL, BHX, EXT and STN ? or do you think they will just do the program they have with just the 752 ? but then what will they do with spare 738 ?

birdscarer
15th Nov 2007, 19:52
Welcome to Bristol guys. We look forward to having you!

arsbeach
16th Nov 2007, 10:52
Lets see if you are still saying that after a year birdscarer !!!!:*

16th Nov 2007, 17:56
Do you think GSM are to launch anymore routes ? What are they going to do with the 3rd 767 ? According to this website http://www.jethros.i12.com/fleets/fleet_listings/flyglobespan.htm they will have all three 767's for summer 08 ! Do you think JFK is out the window NOC still show on there website route map you can fly there ? Is Boston coming back though ?

Albert Hall
16th Nov 2007, 18:38
Programme has been scaled back a long way from where it was planned only a few weeks ago. Apparently what is on sale now is the full schedule for Hamilton:

B757
Mon BRS-DUB-YHM
Tue MAN-YHM
Wed LGW-GLA-YHM
Thu EDI-YHM
Fri GLA-YHM
Sat LGW-YHM
Sun BFS-YHM

Of the 767s, one is based in Vancouver and a second in Glasgow. Lease-out opportunities being sought for the third aircraft.

airhumberside
17th Nov 2007, 09:42
There has been a job advert posted on other forums for B757/B767 crew at LHR, MAD and GLA. Apparently the airline is GSM - MAD for a charter contract, LHR for the Air India deal and GLA for their own operations

Will GSM be setting up a crew base at YHM next summer?

codpiece face
17th Nov 2007, 09:47
Have heard the neos aircraft may be back next summer

GSM SCOT
17th Nov 2007, 18:01
THe NEOS 767's will be back next summer but they will be crewed by GSM crews

haughtney1
17th Nov 2007, 19:51
Is JKF out the window now would you say ?
You need to go back and read my post..No454 :ok:

GW76
17th Nov 2007, 20:46
The MAD rumour is MAD to US for Santa Barbara Airways. Not a European route to MAD from GLA.

ROSSKi MYT
17th Nov 2007, 23:02
Are all the boeing 737-800 based at GLA over the winter?
Whats based at EDI

A

ryanair1
18th Nov 2007, 03:02
why did they ever pull the EDI-BOH route before it even began? Was this the fault of BOH or was it just route strategy change? Will they be bringing it back?

savio3
18th Nov 2007, 09:46
THe NEOS 767's will be back next summer but they will be crewed by GSM crews

Please explain how this will occur. Do you mean All Crew or just Junior Cabin Crew?

diesel36
18th Nov 2007, 13:09
I wouldnt bet neos coming back as set in stone.

They did do a good job this year though,

18th Nov 2007, 14:04
Why did GSM shut down there STN base ? How many a/c will GLA and EDI be getting based during summer 08 ?

ROSSKi MYT
18th Nov 2007, 16:04
Is the rumour about the 737-900 true, if so when are they due

GoEDI
18th Nov 2007, 17:07
Are all the boeing 737-800 based at GLA over the winter?
Whats based at EDI

A

Things change all the time, but just now EDI has the 2 B73Gs and however many B736s are active just now (2 or 3 I think). All B738s at GLA.

19th Nov 2007, 15:27
Does anybody know if they are getting 737-900's ?

jethro15
19th Nov 2007, 15:31
Does anybody know if they are getting 737-900's ?
No they are not

ROSSKi MYT
19th Nov 2007, 16:16
Anything new to come from Glasgow?

Air Hop
19th Nov 2007, 17:51
I see that GSM are flying from BRS next year to YHM. Does this mean that the EXT service has not survived?

19th Nov 2007, 19:33
I doubt EXT service coming back ! What routes will the 787's ne used on ? Are they getting the neos planes next year if so will there own 767's be on lease ?

ROSSKi MYT
19th Nov 2007, 20:29
Assuming the 787s will be Glasgow based?
Probibly the likes of SFB would be served be the 787 and the Canadian Routes

HH6702
19th Nov 2007, 20:48
NCL-YHM been dropped???