PDA

View Full Version : Where to try floats in Vancouver

nathanv
22nd Jun 2007, 07:45
Hi Guys,
I'm a B1900 pilot flying in Africa, I will be in Vancouver for a couple of days from the 16th to the 19th July. I have always wanted to try flying a floatplane, and plan on taking a flight while in Vancouver. I would like any suggestions for flightschools or other operators who could give me an hour's flight at a reasonable cost, just to get a feel for floats. Unfortunately I don't have the time or money for the full course, so I just want the one flight.
Thanks in advance
NathanV:ok:

YVRKid
22nd Jun 2007, 10:37
You can try PFC http://www.floatsafety.com/index.htm I don't know exactly what they offer but it might say on their site. Have fun in YVR.

Slapshot
22nd Jun 2007, 15:08
I got my float rating a long time ago in Pitt Meadows. Give these guys a call see what they have to say.

Cheers.

Pacific Rim Aviation Academy Inc.
Training: Recreational, Private, Commercial, Instructor Rating, Float Rating, Night Rating, VFR-OTT Rating
Aircraft: C-150, C-172, C-172 on Floats
Address: 393 - 11465 Baynes Road, Pitt Meadows, BC, Canada, V3Y 2B4
Phone: 604-465-3594
Email: [email protected]
Airport: Pitt Meadows Regional Airport (CYPK)
Province: British Columbia
Type of School: Airplane
Other Info: Pacific Rim Aviation Academy Inc. provides a full range of training from the Recreational Pilot Permit through Commercial and Float Training for domestic and offshore students. We also conduct Scenic Flights of the local area and operate a Charter Service to destination in British Columbia.

India Four Two
4th Jul 2007, 12:54
nathanv,

I would go with yvrkid's suggestion and contact floatsafety. I got my float rating at the south side of Vancouver many years ago and it was great fun mixing in with the commercial traffic.

For pilots who don't know Vancouver, imagine approaching Heathrow from the west, flying parallel to and to the right of the approach to 09R and then being cleared across the approaches for both runways at about 1/2mile and then landing on a river approximately where the A4 is.

I see they also advertise a "fly-along" ride in one of Harbour Air Beavers. That would be interesting.

I42

saudipc-9
5th Jul 2007, 04:01
Go to the "Flying Beaver" has the best of both worlds "Beer and airplanes" have a few pints and find someone to give you a ride in her beaver.......err I mean fly her beaver:p

custardpsc
22nd Aug 2008, 05:32
For the benefit of anyone searching this thread - I just got back from passing through YVR, FloatSafety have changed owners or something, but when i called to enquire about flying with them I was told they were in the process of applying for training authorisation or an AOC, not sure which but they weren't able to train yet, about a month from starting. I went to Pacific Rim (having seen this thread) and they were fantastic. Fitted me in a short notice, and got my float endorsement done in a (long) day. Liked them so much I am going to go back and do my commercial there I think. Great school, nice aircraft.