PDA

View Full Version : recommended Reading for PPL

Bedlamair
21st Jun 2007, 19:57
Sorry if this has been asked before, guys, but I've been asked to reccomend pre course reading for a PPL student. Now it is years, and some, since I was near your side of the industry. Does anyone have any (helpful) suggestions?

ZK-Brock
22nd Jun 2007, 09:27
Some of the stuff is quite advanced, but throughout your PPL training a very helpful book would be Wolfgang Langewiesche's 'Stick and Rudder'. It helped me grasp many of the concepts involving flying.

Duchess_Driver
22nd Jun 2007, 15:29
Trevor Thoms / The Air Pilots Manuals.
A good series to start with. Everybody seems to use them so you couldn't really go wrong.

HTH

DD

VFE
22nd Jun 2007, 16:03
AFE Jeremy Pratt - lotsa nice piccies and not too much waffle. Depends on yer student really but the vast majority I encounter prefer AFE fer that reason alone. Ole Trev goes into a lot of detail (all good I might add) but not exactly..... errr........ what someone needs to be reading after a long day in the office prior to their 10th flying lesson the very next day.

It's only my opinion and like arseholes, we all have one so don't take it as golden. As I say - down to yer student really and their level of 'stick-with-it-ness'.

T.Thom for speccy types.

AFE for the others.

VFE.

jamestkirk
22nd Jun 2007, 16:56
I found 'Being a Pilot and Transexual; a journey through an emotional jumble sale'. is great reading. I think VFE wrote it.

VFE
22nd Jun 2007, 22:37
No, I only published it. Cheers fer the nod tho.

VFE.

Bedlamair
23rd Jun 2007, 08:58
Thanks guy's. I especially found the one VFE posted useful - I'd been starting to feel alone...:ok:

jamestkirk
23rd Jun 2007, 13:15
Seeing as I am leaving, I could'nt resist it.