PDA

View Full Version : European VFR Maps

BHenderson
21st Jun 2007, 18:04
Hello all,

Can anybody recommend a series of maps for low level VFR Navigation for Europe? (Something similar to CAA VFR 1:250,000 charts.) I would like charts covering as far south as Morocco and Portugal, Croatia to the East and Sweden in the North (and everywhere in between). Most that I have seen seems aimed towards Radio Nav. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Bobby

dublinpilot
21st Jun 2007, 18:17
I don't know about 250k scale. Most of the ICAO maps tend to be 500K scale.

For France I prefer the IGN series (500k scale). Their limitation is that they only go up to 5000AMSL, but if you're looking for a 250k scale, I take it you aren't planning on going any higher! If you want to go higher you should get the SIA 1,000,000 scale chart as a compliment to the IGN series.

Both are available here. (http://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/asp/frameset_uk.asp?m=9)

For Spain STAY AWAY from the ICAO charts...they are woful. While I don't really like the Jeppsen VFR+GPS charts, they ARE what you need for Spain...much better than the Spanish ICAO ones. Again all 500K series.

Others prefer the Jeppsen VFR+GPS charts for everywhere, because they give one consistant presentation of info for all of Europe.

Basically your choice is the local ICAO charts for each country, or the Jeppesen VFR+GPS charts all over Europe. Each has their own fans.

dp

20ma30ci
25th Jun 2007, 18:27
For Croatia use the VFR Chart with recommended VFR routes by CroControl. Check also:

www.fly-croatia.net (http://www.fly-croatia.net)

rgrds

IO540
26th Jun 2007, 08:41
When I last went VFR around Croatia I got the impression they don't particularly care about the routings one takes. A standard VOR-VOR route seems perfectly acceptable.

These "former Iron Curtain" countries seem to have the proper enlightened attitude to flying. Except Albania...

The Jepp 1:500k charts also show the VFR routes.

On a long VFR trip down there in 2004 I got very anally retentive about these VFR routes, especially the ones around Italy. Many of them would be very hard to fly except for the locals who know the area, so I scanned in the VFR charts and calibrated them for a moving map GPS so I could fly the VFR routes with a GPS. In the end, I just got clearances at 5000-10000ft on a route based on navaids.

I suspect that ATC are happy to see a pilot navigating "IFR" because understandably they want an easy life, and that is probably what the VFR routes are designed for (to keep all the other pilots out of their hair).

172driver
26th Jun 2007, 09:23
I suspect that ATC are happy to see a pilot navigating "IFR" because understandably they want an easy life, and that is probably what the VFR routes are designed for (to keep all the other pilots out of their hair).

Agreed - don't think I've ever had a problem routing in an IFR way (navaids and intersections) while flying long-distance VFR.

Btw I always use the Jepps, the only country where I'd use them AND the local ones is France, as Jeppesen don't show the VFR routes there. Not that I needed these last time crossing France - see paragraph above, ATC were only too happy to give me a 'cleared as filed'.

ContinentalC85
26th Jun 2007, 09:37
I also prefer the Jeppessem VFR maps , again as the presentation is the same for all countries

20ma30ci
29th Jun 2007, 20:23
The VFR routes are so designed that you avoid CTRs, MIL zones and inb IFR corridors (STARs/SIDs).

There is no problem to fly any route in Croatia during February or in November, but try to get from Pula (LDPL) to Dubrovnik (LDDU) on a Saturday in August, flying VFR (VFR FLT PLN filled) over IFR waypoints, NAVAIDs and through CTRs ... :ugh:

Jepp charts are OK, but there are some differences to the original VFR Chart issused by CroControl ... and I've also noticed a few cardinal mistakes on the VFR+GPS charts LD1 and LD2

Blue skies ...

IO540
30th Jun 2007, 08:04
There is no problem to fly any route in Croatia during February or in November, but try to get from Pula (LDPL) to Dubrovnik (LDDU) on a Saturday in August, flying VFR (VFR FLT PLN filled) over IFR waypoints, NAVAIDs and through CTRs

I think I've done exactly that, and as with most flights (VFR or IFR) I've done in those parts, there was not the slightest evidence of any other traffic, except some jets going into LDDU.

Now, if VFR, I would navigate IFR everywhere without hesitation - unless there is some absolute requirement to fly a specific off-navaid route. Also bear in mind that sometimes ATC want you to route via airway intersections which are not navaids and thus not navigable without a decent GPS...

This is one reason why IFR is so much easier than VFR.