PDA

View Full Version : Red Arrows

Pages : 1 [2]

dave_perry
25th Nov 2007, 15:56
LateArmLive I agree totally!

camelspyyder
25th Nov 2007, 17:03
I agree the DOB in Seeb is a holiday camp compared with most places I have been to in the Middle East. However, if you put the reds in the Shangri-La resort or similar, what message does that send to those doing four months in the DOB?

spanners123
25th Nov 2007, 17:40
I was at Seeb earlier this year and all the accommodation was being used, so hotels had to be used, and at the end of my stay, moved to a hotel so the oncoming det could settle into their accommodation.

rudekid
25th Nov 2007, 18:16
http://www.raf.mod.uk/reds/teamnews/index.cfm?storyid=3A9E56EC-1143-EC82-2EC00BC0CBAC4104

I love it! Can anyone spot the Red Arrows pilots in this photo?

I see four red flying suits...:E

These are great fun threads, maybe we should make 'red bashing' a currency requirement?

Luckily, we're not fighting two wars, so we can easily afford the luxury of the Red Arrows...

Surely nobody, but nobody counts the F3 as a frontline tour these days?:E

Two's in
25th Nov 2007, 18:36
In a similar vein to those who are morally offended by pilots in general, if you really think the Reds have a cushy life just put your application forms in and join them - if you're that good surely it's that easy?

Those who can do, those who can't whinge about it on Pprune.

plebby 1st tourist
25th Nov 2007, 20:22
MagnersDrinker,

British pride, puhlease. Or Commonwealth, given the current line up!

I'm a blunty and I think they're great. Sorry.

They work very hard, as do the F3 guys.

Flap62
26th Nov 2007, 08:41
Magners, post#22

There/their - go and look them up, there's a good chap.

Magnersdrinker
26th Nov 2007, 08:52
Wow some folk are very very touchy LOL

Still we all entitled to our views. My point is a valid one which im sure has been raised before if so I apoligise.
Still would never want to work on the Reds personally , I enjoy going to the Gulf too much and doing stuff that military people are supposed to do, If I wanted to visit hotels throughout the world Id have joined the Hilton group ;)

GPMG
26th Nov 2007, 10:12
It does surprise me just how often the subject of binning the Reds comes up here. Is it jealousy? Them and Us?
seems a bit pointless really.

Talking of tried and tested threads, isn't it about time that a member of the RAF police posted a question here and the entire PPRUNE population replied with posts brimming with bile and hatred for the poor ickle modplod?

By the way, Beagle, I think what got up the nose of Mileandahalf was being referred to as a Grunt.

Bootneck, or Bootie please, not Grunt, Pongo, Perce or Cabbage Head, and definately not Navy. :)

airsound
26th Nov 2007, 10:25
Apols for dragging up an old Reds thread when there's another one running (with some amazing pix from flickr), but I did say on 31 Oct
Off to the Dubai air show next week - I'll report on what it looks like there.....
At the Dubai show (all five days of it) the Reds, along with the Patrouille de France and Spain's Patrulla Aguila, were flying from a military base nearby. So we didn't see them on the ground - and the offending (to some) lettering is definitely not visible to a normal spectator of the flying display. Incidentally, the Patrouille de France have the whole of the undersides of their wings covered in big letters, visible in flight, saying 'Armée de l'Air' (Air Force).

However, if I can make it work, the pic below shows how the new Reds' lettering can be very useful. This is the masthead (front page) of a significant paper in the Gulf region. It was advertising a very well written, and thoroughly positive, article within the paper by a woman reporter who had flown with Wg Cdr RAFAT.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j134/airsound/GulfNewsReds.jpg

airsound

Wader2
26th Nov 2007, 11:13
The big ROYAL AIR FORCE written along the side of the fuselage?!?!

Is it just me or does anyone else hate the stupid slope on the As and Y? So corporate, so naff!:ugh:

Roland, you didn't ask the right question. How much did the FONT cost? It was specially commissioned for the new RAF Branding last year.

Better:

Defence Brand Streamlining and Moratorium

A branding project has been initiated by DGMC to clarify the MOD brand and introduce a clear brand architecture across Defence. The aim is to revitalise and embed a stronger corporate culture across MOD in line with the Head Office streamlining project and the Capability Review. There are currently multitudes of logos, publications and websites across Defence which confuse audiences and the Defence brand has become more and more diluted.

Bremner, Bird and Fortune could not make this up.

BEagle
26th Nov 2007, 11:36
OK - will edit!

BEagle
26th Nov 2007, 11:42
A lot of wankword bingo points in that little piece of utter tripe from the mad MoD box!

Wader2
26th Nov 2007, 11:53
A lot of wankword bingo points in that little piece of utter tripe from the mad MoD box!

That was just para 1. It runs to 2 pages and had a covering one page letter in case we didn't understand.

"8. A system of brand guardians and advocates will be in place from early 2008. Anyone interested in becoming a guardian or advocate should forward their details to xxxx-xxx xx Strategic Marketing 1."

The Adjutant
26th Nov 2007, 11:58
Just give it a little time and they will take the ROYAL AIR FORCE off and change it to ARMY.
Just think folks the Royal Flying Corps display team the BROWN PONGO's

Wader2
26th Nov 2007, 12:04
being referred to as a Grunt.

. Slang An infantryman in the U.S. military, especially in the Vietnam War: "They were called grunts....They were the infantrymen, the foot soldiers of the war" Bernard Edelman

I understood it was a US acronym like GI - Government Issue or
Government Reject Unfit Normal Training.

Definitely not one of HM's Jollies.

harrogate
26th Nov 2007, 12:27
Let's just wait for the Comprehensive Strategic Revised Branding Strategy Twelve Month Public and Peers Perception Qualitative Feedback Response Review, before well all criticise the new font too much.

BEagle
26th Nov 2007, 12:33
WTF is a 'Brand Guardian or Advocate'?

It sounds like something from one of those sci-fi games little boys play on an xbox, whatever that is.....

"I am the Brand Guardian"

"Well eat my laser-sabre bolt, you dork! FZZZT"

Seriously, who are these lunatics farting about with 'Defence Brand Streamlining'? Pony-tailed latte macchiato-sipping Untermensch of the civil serpentry, presumably - surely they cannot be real Service personnel?

The Helpful Stacker
26th Nov 2007, 15:00
.... and definately not Navy.

Aye, they are Royal Navy, says so on their ID cards.:}

Union Jack
26th Nov 2007, 16:18
Although somewhat bemused at seeing a thread on the Red Arrows ascending/descending:) into whether the Royal Marines are part of the Royal Navy or not, I am at least prompted to say that unexpectedly seeing the Reds, usually in transit past my remote corner of the country, evokes the same thrill that seeing HM Yacht BRITANNIA under way used to do.

Just let's hope the Reds never go the same way as the Yacht..... Are you listening, Mr Brown-Trousers?

Jack

PS The Royal Navy website leads directly to www.royalmarines.mod.uk (http://www.royalmarines.mod.uk) where the opening words are "The Royal Marines are the Royal Navy's amphibious infantry..."!

Union Jack
26th Nov 2007, 17:26
THS

Many thanks indeed - you have certainly lived up to (half:)) your monniker!

Jack

Biggus
26th Nov 2007, 19:38
mileandahalf

What was the answer to the query then? Were the BFIs at Chivenor filled with concrete???

normally right blank
27th Nov 2007, 14:30
Very well put! (Yesterday 12:25).
"My Red Leaders". "Royal Air Force". "Tabloid".
You win. "Nerds" lose!
Best regards
Palle J. C.
Following the Red Arrows since 1967/8 - in a school break!

PPRuNe Pop
18th Nov 2010, 20:01
Apart from the growth of aviation stuff on the Emmerdale set, Tucano, Nimrod, The Blades and others I noticed the appearance of a yellow S&R model heleo perched on the bar. I wonder why? ;) Then again why not?

Willard Whyte
18th Nov 2010, 21:48
"The Royal Marines are the Royal Navy's amphibious infantry..."!

Err, wouldn't that make them frogs?

How appropriate!

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
18th Nov 2010, 23:15
Good to see the spirit of quick fire humour isn't dead. :D

SixOfTheBest
22nd Nov 2010, 10:37
Navy Ad,

Only 1 person I know of went to Groby Community College and also flew in the reds. He left the team about 3 years ago. I myself went to said, crap, school but, alas, never applied.......got 6 back to back FJ tours instead though....!!!

skua
22nd Nov 2010, 15:24
PP
a possible reason is that the guy that runs the estate on which the Emmerdale set is located is a pilot (albeit former craphat).

PPRuNe Pop
22nd Nov 2010, 15:30
So it seems that Emmerdale's 'aviation corner' has been sprinkled with local manure.

I had a craphat once. It was only thing handy - the larch poles were far too far away! :E

noprobs
22nd Nov 2010, 16:17
I think that the Emmerdale bar also has an Air Cadet crest on the wall, which the HQ will like.

Less pleasing was its placing in an episode of Shameless, where it appeared on the wall of the local knocking shop that was doing special offers for schoolboys.

MrBernoulli
13th Jun 2019, 12:03
MBeec, this a a serious long shot, but worth a try - you kindly sent me a PPRuNe Personal Message yesterday, 12 June 2019, regarding your great uncle L.G., a former RAFAT member. I tried, but was unable to reply to your Personal Message because, I am sure, you have no forum posts. So whilst you can send Personal Messages, PPRuNe does not allow you to receive PMs until you have established your bona fides here e.g have several postings on the forums.

Either that, or your PM Inbox is full, and cannot accept any more incoming messages.

Could you please send another PM to me, and please include at least one method through which I can contact you (email, phone number etc). I would be very pleased to be able to get in contact with L.G. again.

MrBernoulli
25th Nov 2020, 20:44
A Mr J - - - - P - - - - - (name obscured here for privacy purposes) sent a mesage to me, via PPruNe, just a couple of days ago, 22nd Nov, regarding a contact in the USA wishing to make contact with Lloyd Grose. Unfortunately, trying to reply to you I received the following error message from the PPRuNe message system:

"J - - - - P - - - - - has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space."

If I am correct, you probably have seen this thread, which mentions Lloyd, and contacted me because of it.

On two occasions I have tried to make contact with Lloyd, through others here on PPRuNe, but those efforts unfortunately came to nothing. My attempts included being put in contact with former members of the Red Arrows, but nobody seemed to have any valid contact details for Lloyd.

I am sorry I cannot be of more help

If by chance you have contacted others here, and do get some positive info back (assuming they can even message you!), I would love to hear of it and be able to make contact with Lloyd again. Contact me through PPRuNe again, thanks.

Best of luck.