PDA

View Full Version : phone lines over Cat5e

Aaronhoc
20th Jun 2007, 10:34
hi

i have read this thread

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=214490

we currently have a phone system though our switchs and network that we run. if i use a socket close to the Routing mount (as in visually close not cable close) it works fine.

BUT

if i use a cable (verified towork as tested with network side and phone side and works) to connect the Slot on the routing mount 1 to a Slot on teh other routing mount, (have tried multiple slots on the 2nd mount) i get a dead line. i also get a dead line if i get a Converter and link straight into the end of the extention (linking cable) i egt nothing, but i do if use a existing moutn on the other switch.

my aim is to link from the Phone pannel (routeing mount) to the Networks 2nd Routing mount which is then linked to an outlet in the office, we have a RJ11 to RJ45 converter on the phone.

but all i am getting is a dead line.

the cable wasnt quite long enough so used a Converter that is used to send (2 pairs of cables) over the same line and split at each end (ie 2 network lines over one cable), i used these as an extention box, my own other real option is to cut the 2 cables and link them together which will make it extended.

what im trying to do with the second routing mout i have done with teh first and linked to a wall outlet (the cable used was the one i am using on the second) but it wont work. and yet all the same mounts etc.

any ideas appreaciated.

rickity
20th Jun 2007, 20:56
"used a Converter that is used to send (2 pairs of cables) over the same line and split at each end (ie 2 network lines over one cable), i used these as an extention box,"
It may not work because , the converter takes wires on pins 1,2,3,6, on one input to 1,2,3,6 on one output and 1,2,3,6 on the other input to 4,5,7,8 on the output tand then vis versa for the other end. your telephone is normally on 4,5,7,8 so unless your using 2 converters back to back and you have used the right legs as input and output, then it may do see here [URL="http://kb.wisc.edu/images/3095/568Bnetsplitwire.jpg"], but its an expensive way of doing it, you can by connectors that will allow you to plug in an extension RJ45 cable at £1 a throw

Aaronhoc
21st Jun 2007, 10:02
thanks for the reply.

just bought a RJ45 in line coupler for 36p, well ordered with a few other things ive needed to gethopefully that will sort the issues