PDA

View Full Version : Flying (a helicopter) into Southampton.

Whirlybird
20th Jun 2007, 08:18
I have to fly into Southampton next week, in an R44. I've never been there, but have heard vague rumours that it might be complicated. Can anyone tell me anything useful or offer any advice?
Thanks in advance,
Whirly

Nipper2
20th Jun 2007, 08:28
The flying is simple. The admin is not. You will need PPR. They may or may not grant you a slot. No PPR, no landing.

There are one or two private sites local to Southampton where things are a bit easier. PM me if you need to know more.

helicopter-redeye
20th Jun 2007, 08:58
I used to use Soton airport a lot (in an R44). They used to be quite accomadating (and very low cost) - landing and one weeks parking (due weather) for an R44 on the main ramp was less than the price of the car park for a day.

You could expect to be directed to one of the VRPs at the four corners to hold for landing or departing traffic, somewhere like Bishops' W, followed by a direct route to the field.

On departure, make sure they read you the departure clearences before you lift from the ramp - they used to like doing it in the hover ...:ugh:

h-r;)

Genghis the Engineer
20th Jun 2007, 09:24
I diverted a flexwing into Southampton before Christmas - they were the soul of simplicity and helpfulness.

Only thing to note is that everybody entering or leaving the airport go through full security, so account for that in your timings and what you carry in/out. If you have any sharp stuff, leave it in the helicopter!

I know that they do have a severe shortage of parking slots, which I think is why PPR is mandatory (didn't apply to me for obvious safety reasons, but they did have to scratch their heads a little about where to put me).

Also, it's not all that cheap!

G

ShyTorque
20th Jun 2007, 22:46
Whirly,

I go there quite often by rotary wing. In my experience it's often busy but not difficult, they are very friendly and Signature have a very nice lounge (and coffee).

They don't like helis over the grass and will ask you to hover taxy off at the mid point (Point B) and onwards either up to the northern end of taxyway A, which is where Signature live, or give you a gate to park on!

You will have mandatory handling, as already mentioned. You will go through security screening on the way back out to your aircraft, do take some ID.

Be aware that there is no taxyway to the northern end of the runway so FW has to backtrack to and from the centre runway exit; they will hold you on the A taxyway if an aircraft has landed on 02, so it can exit the runway at B.

You'll be expected to have copied the ATIS from the SAM beacon broadcast before you call for start. It's all in Pooley's Flight Guide (including the VRPs), but pm me if you need more advice.

Enjoy the flight! :ok:

Whirlybird
21st Jun 2007, 16:53
Thanks everyone. That all sounds fine. I've now booked a slot, and have my fingers and toes crossed for the weather!

Whirlybird
26th Jun 2007, 17:02
Just back, and it was fine. Lovely friendly people on the radio, who asked if I was familiar with the airfield when I landed, and on hearing I wasn't, directed me to a stand to park. Easy departure...though they did tell me everything in the hover, but I don't mind that too much. And amazingly good weather...great views of the floods all over the country though.

So thanks to everyone who gave advice, and to anyone who works at Southampton, if you're reading this.

And I have to do it all again in couple of weeks. :ok:

LateFinals
26th Jun 2007, 19:56
Lost suction above cloud en route to Channel Island last year and had to divert into Southampton as I was coasting out, (when your IMC instructor gets you to practice partial panel its not just for practice as I found out very rapidly !). They couldn't have been more friendly and helpful, no landing fee.

But, many may not know that if you list them as a divert on a flight plan you have to have PPR before they will let you divert for weather reasons otherwise your landing request will be declined. Are we really expected to get PPR on the off chance we might need to land elsewhere in poor, unforecast weather ??

LF

scooter boy
26th Jun 2007, 23:02
Latefinals - to continue your thread drift, on my way back from the Paris Airshow last week I diverted into Exeter due to Wx last Thursday morning as a filed alternate for my planned destination which was Plymouth (where the Wx was v nasty and below minima despite TAF being overly optimistic at time of filing) - full landing charge was levied (£35 or so) much to my chagrin in addition to £78 car hire from AVIS.

Makes you wonder why we bother.

Bloody wonderful,
SB

ShyTorque
26th Jun 2007, 23:14
Whirly,

But what about the really important pilot stuff...... how was that coffee? ;)