PDA

View Full Version : PPL Theory question for the pro's

Gavin53
20th Jun 2007, 04:47
Hello!

I understand that from your first PPL ground examination pass, you have 18 months to complete all 6 others.

What happens if you only complete 4 or 5 of these in the 18 month period, what will happen? Will it just be a case of sitting the first exam again (the 1 which has been timed out)?????????

I am not in the position - yet! But is valuable info never the less.

Also, how long on average should it take to read a PPL book from scratch until doing the exam?
I have have heard and read stories/posts of people only taking 4-5 weeks to do the PPL course, how is that possible with 7 books/exams?

Any help would be unbelievably greatful.
http://www.pprune.org/forums/images/infopop/icons/icon14.gif
Thanks.

MIKECR
20th Jun 2007, 09:50
I did all mine in 3 weeks, just went at it full time and got them out the way.

Esperanza
20th Jun 2007, 10:19
Yes. I'm afraid that if you don't complete all of the exams in eighteen months then you will have to retake the ones that are out of date. Eighteen months is quite a long time though. If you really want your licence then it shouldn't take more than eighteen months to complete the exams. Twelve months should be more than enough time.
Once you've completed the exams they are then valid for a further two years. In other words, from the date of your last exam you then have a further two years to pass the Skills Test.
Good luck.

wire12
20th Jun 2007, 20:35
does any know is the flight skills test at the end of the ppl hard. Does most people pass it first time

any help will greatfull

Duchess_Driver
20th Jun 2007, 21:15
Define 'hard'!

Your instructor wouldn't recommend you to the examiner if he/she didn't think you were up to the mark.

If you can do the exercises with your instructor then you can do them with the examiner.

Dr Eckener
21st Jun 2007, 17:47
I did all mine in 3 weeks, just went at it full time and got them out the way.
I am very pleased for you, but it hardly answers the question.
From the first pass you have 18 months to complete them all. After that they all remain valid for 12 months from the date of the final pass. If any time out then they must be retaken.
But remember, if you take them all quickly (as MikeCR suggests) and take a longer time to do your flight course, then you may have your exams expire before you take your PPL test, requiring a retake.
The best thing is to plan your flying and exams to run alongside each other. All the info you need is in LASORS, which you can get from www.caa.co.uk

Whopity
21st Jun 2007, 18:08
From the first pass you have 18 months to complete them all. After that they all remain valid for 12 months
No 24 months!

Dr Eckener
22nd Jun 2007, 08:31
Glad you found my deliberate mistake Whopity :O

Gavin53
25th Jun 2007, 19:17
Superb, thanks all for your help.

Going from the replies above, I have come to the conclusion that if the first exam times out (outside the 18 month period) then it has to be re-sat, and so on if the rest time out.

Thanks alot.

Dysonsphere
25th Jun 2007, 22:29
Define 'hard'!

Your instructor wouldn't recommend you to the examiner if he/she didn't think you were up to the mark.

If you can do the exercises with your instructor then you can do them with the examiner.

Well if you can fly it should be OK but insanity can creep in I got a partial pass due to opening the throttle to pull out of a spiral dive, relised right away what i had done but was too late. Ho hum passed the retest it amazing what stress can make you do.