PDA

View Full Version : Ariana flies again

Cargo Cult
14th Dec 2001, 16:47
Wednesday, 12 December, 2001, 15:19 GMT
BBC
By BBC News Online's Marcus George in Afghanistan
I was sitting in the office of the acting president of Ariana Airlines as the radio squawked away.
Today was supposed to be a monumental day for Ariana.
Its first flight since the US military campaign against Afghanistan started was to leave for Herat.
This was not exactly a normal flight.

Journalists had managed to charter one of the airline's two remaining aircraft, a Russian-built transport plane.

Powerless

While we all awaited news of its successful
departure, I spent the dragging minutes looking at the dusty model aeroplanes that adorn all airline offices and advertising billboards that were decades old.

My gaze landed on an award from the International Air Transport Association, or IATA, commending
Ariana for 40 years of civil aviation services, ironically awarded just one year before the Taleban flooded into the capital.

Finally word came through that the plane bound for Herat had been delayed. "What's the problem?" I asked. "No problem. Just there is no power in the
control tower so it cannot take off yet," came the answer and a grin.
"It doesn't matter. They are journalists and they can wait."

Raring to go

In former times Ariana had been the aviation equivalent of Afghanistan's renowned carpet-weaving industry.

A fruitful partnership with the US airline Pan Am ensured up-to-date training for pilots and engineers in the US, and a route to India was a plentiful source of cash.

"We have requested for aviation sanctions to be lifted and the US will hopefully provide two or three planes for us, "said airline president Mohammad Arun Shafaq.

"We also have seven international crews ready to start work."

But the view on the tarmac at Kabul International Airport was a world away from the positive talk in his office.

The remnants of half a dozen Ariana planes sat in front of the maintenance hangars,as well as one unexploded US bomb.

This was a graveyard which had expanded as chapter after chapter of the city's recent history passed by.

"A lot of these aeroplanes have been destroyed during different times for different reasons," said the airline's chief pilot, Sayed Nabi Hashemi.

"For example the first aircraft was hit when Mojedadi, a Mujahedin commander, was coming from Islamabad to Kabul in 1992.

"It did not crash but the aircraft was never able to fly again.

"These small aircraft were destroyed during
Mujahedin fighting between themselves,
and this Antonov was destroyed during
American bombing," he added, pointing to the mangled, burnt remains of what, with a little imagination, could have once been a flying machine.

Hijacked

Ariana lost five planes during the recent US bombing of Afghanistan and all that remains are one old Boeing and the Herat-bound Antonov.

As I stood on the cracked tarmac there was a flurry of activity.

Word came that the Boeing was coming to Kabul.

The only obstacle was that, due to US bombs, there was not much of a runway to land on.

Soon enough the plane appeared above the distant mountain peaks and circled the city.

From the tarmac I watched as the plane landed with a thud, throwing up plumes of dust.

The Afghans were anxious and they had reason to be.

But as it slowed they whooped and hollered with glee.

Mr Hashemi and the Boeing captain greeted each other warmly. They were old friends.

This was the same aircraft that had been hijacked and forced to fly to London Stansted in February 2000.

Memories came flooding back to him as he walked around the plane, Mr Hashemi told me.

"Sometimes bad memories come to my mind. We had a very hard time. The hijackers became hysterical and nervous and they wanted to blow up the aircraft and we were very frightened.

"But I'm very happy that we now have one good aircraft."

This was the man caught on camera escaping
from a sliding window in the cockpit as days went by without any result in the negotiations.

"I had an opportunity to stay in London and they asked us if we wanted to remain there.

"But I wanted to return to my country and it was impossible to stay because my family is in Kabul," Mr Hashemi said.

And having been a pilot for the so-called "world's bravest airline" throughout 20 years of war in Afghanistan, Mr Hashemi has reason to be optimistic about the future.

But that was enough serious talk for one day.

The airline's staff members were more interested in taking photos of the only Ariana aircraft that has flown to the UK in the last six years and the only Ariana passenger plane to have survived the US bombing.

The Guvnor
14th Dec 2001, 17:41
BCal bought Ariana's DC10-30 (YA-LAS, which subsequently became G-MULL) - apparently it had been hit by a surface to air missile that damaged the number 2 engine.

Anyway, the BCal engineering team were able to get it fixed up and it flew for them (and subsequently BA) for many years.

Georgeablelovehowindia
15th Dec 2001, 02:45
Yes Guvnor and as an ex DC-10 pilot, I'd be fascinated to find out how they shoehorned the beast in an out of Kabul!

Brenoch
15th Dec 2001, 15:02
Does anyone know what ever happened to Arianas 727īs?? Ex Air France i think, but my memory is fading though..

Couldnīt have been very much payload on those 10īs.. Long runway but I seem to recall it was just under 7000' elevation..

Tin Kicker
15th Dec 2001, 15:46
ATI says Ariana had three 727s and one of them (the only one left) is stuck in Herat. It says the fleet is basically shot to bits, with exception of an AN24 and a 722.

GlueBall
15th Dec 2001, 18:46
The former Ariana DC-10 s/n 47888 had made its last revenue flight 27 March 1999 with BA as G-MULL. Thereafter it was converted to a freighter at Venice, Italy, and was re-registered as N47888 to Wells Fargo Bank, Utah. Currently not in service. :p

[ 15 December 2001: Message edited by: GlueBall ]

Brenoch
16th Dec 2001, 04:25
The only obstacle was that, due to US bombs, there was not much of a runway to land on.

There wasn't much runway left before the bombings anyways.. :)

Greg Baddeley
17th Dec 2001, 17:21
Caught the story on BBC news 24 on Saturday morning - quite moving, really, to see the airline guys who basically have nothing - the Antonov was sitting there,complete, but the rest of the fleet was shown, all broken up with the exception of the 727 that was flown in to land on the taxiway, since the runway itself was unusable. Their spirit is an inspiration to us all.

Brenoch
17th Dec 2001, 17:29
Remember watching them coming in at Jalalabad.. Impressive sight.. The usable section of the runway is not much wider then the main gears of the 727..

Blakey
18th Dec 2001, 16:16
Another coup by British journalism. The first flight after the US bombings was 9 days earlier than reported, on 3 Dec 01. (I'm sure that they meant to say the first commercial flight as the one I saw had no pax) The first flight was notable for the cyclist happily pedaling down the taxiway oblivious of the Antonov on short finals. When he looked up there was an obvious wobble followed by a sharp exit off the taxiway. A quick bit of risk analysis by our cyclist; a certain mincing by the props or just a chance of a landmine off the concrete.

Luckily no-one was hurt and now that the airport is being used runway access is more controlled. However, it does illustrate how different things are compared to what most PPruners are used to. Along with everyone else I wish them every luck for the future. The country needs some good news.

As far as the working 727 goes, again all credit to them. The bit of taxiway available has good tarmac for 1,000m followed by a small crater which the Antonov sidestepped around (remember this is on a taxiway so not alot of width!) before reaching the other 600m prior to the turn. To get a 727 onto that when the airfield is 5,870ft up seems pretty good to me. I'm not sure how legal it all is but I expect that's the least of their problems.

[ 18 December 2001: Message edited by: Blakey ]

hasell
18th Dec 2001, 19:51
I saw this on BBC NEWS 24 also. Kind of puts things into perspective ...I admire these guys at Ariana who are so determined to see their flag carrier fly again.
Hats off to Capt.Hashemi and Capt.Siadi. (sp.)
As a humble ppl student I shall never complain again about the state of the r/ways at my local field.

Crewcut
20th Dec 2001, 13:02
Further to Cargocults first message.

The aircraft mentioned in your first message
was a Turbolev 154 passenger jet. On very
short final a mujeheddin, sitting in a hole, shot
a RPG rocket launcher vertically and hit the cone of the aircraft. The cone popped off and the first officer broke a leg - nevertheless they
were cool enough to land the aircraft directly
and no one else were hurt.

The aircraft was sitting on the tarmac from early june till early august when it was hit again. We were at the time flying for UN and we
used to park the aircraft next to the damaged Turbolev. One morning when we had done all preparations for our flight and began taxiing,
we heard a loud crack and thought we had hit something, but when we looked back we could see the Turbolev on fire and all our crew
scattered around the tarmac. Once airborne we could see that a rocket had hit the left wing
next to our parking spot! We had escapped a
very close attempt to hit us. When we got on
the radio (local UN walki talkies) our engineer
assured us that all our local crew were safe.
We were pretty scared for the rest of our flight
to Masari Sharif.

Due to fuel shortage in Kabul the aircraft did not have any fuel in the wings and the damage were limited. The rocket exploded inside the wing and probably saved a lot of lives to the
people standing around watching us take off!

Just one more comment about how they can
fly heavy jets out of Kabul. They can't but they do! These people take high risk either by ignorance or by faith in their god.