PDA

View Full Version : B747 Turnaround Times

Pin Head
18th Jun 2007, 20:34
Is there a restriction on how quickly a B744 can get airbourne again after a long flight. Any required cooling for example?

Lancelot37
18th Jun 2007, 20:40
I would think that the quicker the turnround the better. Why let everything cool down only to heat it up again on taxy/take off?

Geotrash
18th Jun 2007, 20:56
The brakes have a required minimum cool-down period, but I don't know what it is.

Rainboe
18th Jun 2007, 21:35
Absolutely no restrictions. Brakes not a problem- just as soon as you can get airborne! In reality, refuelling takes a while, loading/unloading, checks and FMS loading take time, so usually minimum 1 hour turnarounds, though you can trim this as much as you like. If you have hot brakes, normal treatment is careful taxi and possibly leave wheels down for a few minutes.

skiesfull
18th Jun 2007, 22:05
There is an AFM quick turnaround table - unfortunately I do not have it available. As Rainboe states, brake cooling is rarely a problem due to the lengthy time taken on a normal turnaround. If a quick turnaround is to be planned, then use sensible braking on landing, such as full reverse and manual brakes applied below 100 knots. That will keep the brakes cool, even landing at max. landing weight and high(40's degrees C) ambient temps.

Lancelot37
18th Jun 2007, 22:46
The last time I flew into Kuala Lumpur as pax the Captain announced "We have landed 20 minutes early, but it will now take us an hour to taxi to the terminal" (Well it is a long way). Maybe he was cooling the brakes. :)

polzin
19th Jun 2007, 00:29
Southwest Airlines could do a turn around in 35 minutes. the US Marines in 25, but the passengers would have to be able to at least jog!
Ok. Now let me have it.

barit1
19th Jun 2007, 00:51
I once boarded a DL 727 at SFO after a 20 minute turnaround (gate time). :D

Dan Winterland
19th Jun 2007, 01:15
Are we talking Classic or 744, or pax or freight? This is a 'how long is a piece of string?' question. Brake temps are rarely a problem on a pax 744, but try a classic freighter with steel brakes at MLW landing at Bangkok. We allowed 1 hr for a tech stop, but the brake temps nearly always kept us on the ground for longer - even with the use of cooling fans. And 110 tonnes of freight off and 110 tonnes back on again. Try two and a half hours minimum.

As for pax 747s, I've done a 40 minute turnaround (no fuel) but you will find an aircraft coming in from an Ultra Long Haul flight will need a minimum of two hours. Preparing the cabin will usually take that, and 145 tonnes of fuel takes about over an hour to pump.

skiesfull
19th Jun 2007, 16:55
Dan:-
Pinheads' original posting was regarding the B744.