PDA

View Full Version : SEP FI Renewal in a 3 Axis Microlight?

noblues
16th Jun 2007, 00:01
I own a share in a Pegasus CT 3 axis microlight (looks like a C152 but climbs at 1000ft/min and cruises at 115Kt).

I asked my FI examiner if he could do my renewal test in it, but he thought it wouldnt be valid in that class of aeroplane.

It strikes me as odd, I can instruct in such a class of aeroplane with my SEP FI ticket assuming I have differences signed off for me to fly it, so why can't I do my FI renewal in such a type?

Whopity
16th Jun 2007, 06:21
JAR-FCL 1.005 (a)(5) Whenever a reference is made to aeroplanes this does not include microlights as defined nationally, unless otherwise specified.The reason; some countries still don't require a licence to fly them, just like the UK originally didn't.

You could do a "microlight instructor renewal in it", but then you would have to pay to have a specific "microlight FI rating" put on your licence, and you would then have to do another test in an aeroplane that is not a microlight to renew your JAA FI!

Your choice!

noblues
16th Jun 2007, 13:10
I understand that JAR/CAA are in talks about accepting 3 Axis microlights time to count towards SEP validation hours ....

I find it ironic that I can instruct in such machines (which many have a higher performance than your average Cessna or Piper), these hours can count towards my 100 in 3yr for the FI renewal, but I cant do a renewal test in one ... oh, well.

It also begs the question that many Microlight PPL's and differences converstions have/are taught by CAA SEP FI's who are never check in such machines .....

Whopity
18th Jun 2007, 22:40
these hours can count towards my 100 in 3yr for the FI renewal
Unfortunately they do not because of the statement in JAR-FCL 1.005 above. Nothing in a microlight counts towards JAA aeroplane requirements.

noblues
20th Jun 2007, 09:13
Whopity - Their is an anomaly in JAR's.

I will have to dig out the references, but 3 Axis microlights are regarded as a sub category for SEP in terms of 'differences training'.

CAA/JAR/BMAA really need to sort this out ... they have been dragging their heals over the proposed changes for classification of 3 Axis microlights for ages ... I heard they were to be officially brought into the A category in 2007/8.

Whopity
20th Jun 2007, 21:21
a SEP rating has no upper or lower weight limit therefore the privileges of the JAA SEP rating allow the holder of such a rating to fly a microlight aeroplane on the grounds that it is within the SEP definition but, you can't count those hours for JAA purposes because of JAR-FCL 1.005.
Legally, the only differences training under JAR-FCL is for VP Prop, retractable undercarriage, pressurisation, Super charger turbo charger and tailwheel. There are no differences given for microlights!

As the JAA have virtually folded, until EASA comes up with something new, there will be no change.

noblues
3rd Jun 2013, 11:22
Sorry to resurrect this thread .... FI renewal test time again!

Dos anyone know if anything has changed on this subject in the past 6yrs?

(I'm renewing under JAR ... still awaiting my EASA licence 6 months after applying).

BillieBob
3rd Jun 2013, 15:50
I'm renewing under JAR ... still awaiting my EASA licence 6 months after applyingNope, you are renewing under EASA. Your JAA licence has been deemed to be an EASA licence since 8 April 2012, the fact that it has not yet been re-issued in the new format is irrelevant.

Littlehas changed regarding microlights. EASA has allowed some experience in microlights to count towards the requirements for issue of the LAPL but, in its own words, "the Agency will only accept flight time on TMGs or single engine piston aeroplanes" for other purposes.

BEagle
3rd Jun 2013, 17:30
However, following an IAOPA Europe inititative, FCL.002 is now considering acceptance of hours flown in microlight/ultralight aeroplanes to count towards SEP Class Rating revalidation requirements.

The proposal is that:
Flight time in Annex II aircraft which are defined as microlight/ultralight aircraft, but which otherwise fall within the definition of existing Part-FCL Class Ratings and which are fitted with 3-axis control systems, shall be accepted towards the revalidation of the associated Class Rating, provided that the pilot has within the 12 months prior to the Rating expiry date (or, for the LAPL(A), prior to the date of flight) flown a minimum of 1 hr (as PIC or dual) in non-microlight/ultralight aircraft of that class.

noblues
4th Jun 2013, 18:13
Thanks for that ....

I hope the proposed change does become statute ..... about time high performance 3 Axis microlight time is counted towards SEP validation hours.

justmaybe
20th Oct 2013, 17:57
Has there been any movement on the proposed change?

BEagle
20th Oct 2013, 22:52
EASA moves with the speed of a handicapped glacier......

Perhaps there'll be something in the FCL.002 NPA due out 'soon'......:rolleyes:

much2much
6th Nov 2013, 11:03
i am in the process of renewing my U.K PPL A , and will get back on this track if you can bear with me..since the license was stolen the CAA will not reissue without a valid clas 2 or above medical,( computer says no since the introduction of a online form)since for now i intend to use a self cert, which is not valid for SEP renewal post October 2013(my SEP is expired) ,i will have to add a SSEA.for me the problem can be solved by applying via LAA with a covering letter,and relevant paperwork and the CAA say the will then issue the license.
but this could be a issue for others already using uk ppl with slmg,ssea or microlight on a self dec,and with a hungry washing machine ,or just careless
But reading this since i also intend to add a microlight class rating for witch i need a second GST ,could i renew my FI rating on a microlight and apply for a microlight FI with this license/med combination?without further hoops to jump through?

Whopity
6th Nov 2013, 11:13
could i renew my FI rating on a microlight and apply for a microlight FI with this license/med combination?without further hoops to jump through?
As your FI is also legally valid on a Microlight, then in theory you could do a FI Microlight test and apply for a separate FI Microlight qualification but, you cannot renew or revalidate the FI(A) rating using microlight instruction or a test on a microlight.
Whether or not the powers that be can get to grips with this combination is another matter.

ifitaintboeing
7th Nov 2013, 10:32
As your FI is also legally valid on a Microlight, then in theory you could do a FI Microlight test and apply for a separate FI Microlight qualification

If your FI rating is current, you don't even need to do a flight test to obtain a Microlight FI rating, you can just apply to The Pod for issue on the basis of your existing qualification.

In the case above the FI rating is not current, so a flight test is required whichever route you choose.

ifitaint...