PDA

View Full Version : XR537 - Permit to Fly

XR537
14th Jun 2007, 16:49
After many false dawns, and hard work, patience and perseverance, I am delighted to announce that former Red Arrows Gnat XR537 (G-NATY) has been granted its Permit to Fly this afternoon. Our sincere thanks go to all those involved with the engineering and administration necessary to get her back in the sky, and those in the CAA who finally granted her permit. We also extend our thanks to the Royal Air Force for granting permission for her to fly in her 1976 RAFAT colours, and to all those within the service who supported this project.

The aircraft will now proceed with its final flight tests during the next few weeks, and we hope that this will then enable full certification shortly afterwards.

The whole project has taken a lot longer than initially hoped, but as with all things technical, we had to get her exactly right.

We will be holding a proper launch day when all the flight tests are completed and we've managed to keep the champagne on ice since 2005, so its now an even better vintage!

Thank you to all who have supported this project and enquired as to the progress, even when things looked bleak, but it has been worth it.

BOAC
14th Jun 2007, 17:28
A big well-done to all:ok:

BEagle
14th Jun 2007, 19:04
Stup (recc) endous effort!!

Very well done to all!!

tribekey
15th Jun 2007, 09:08
Brilliant news, we look forward to seeing it fly,congratulations. eghh atc

merlinxx
15th Jun 2007, 18:03
A spendid job well done, just a shame that Ray "H" won't be around to see his # 3 favourite type back flying.

XR537
15th Jun 2007, 19:35
Yes, a real pity that 'the' Gnat-man isn't around... however, we stated at the time that the first flight would be dedicated to the great man and we intend to keep it that way. We will also be naming the pre-flight briefing room after him.
The lithographs that are being produced will also be carrying a dedication to Ray... there was no equal in the seat of this type.
We also had Raymond Baxter due to attend the launch day, so that shows you just how long it has taken to get through all the work. Raymond was ecstatic that she was being returned to flight and kept in touch a lot.
But, I'm sure they'll both be smiling down on us, on the actual day :)

Flying Lawyer
16th Jun 2007, 10:26
Wonderful news. :ok:
Congratulations to everyone who put so much hard work into such a worthwhile project. :ok:

Ray would be delighted - and I'm sure he's watching progress with great interest.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/FlyingLawyer/Ray_Red1_low.jpg

FL

jabberwok
16th Jun 2007, 13:01
Sigh..

Beats a Hawk hands down dun't it..

Dr Jekyll
16th Jun 2007, 15:53
just a shame that Ray "H" won't be around to see his # 3 favourite type back flying.
Excuse my ignorance here, I can guess #1, but what's #2?

XR537
16th Jun 2007, 17:34
All I know is that when once asked which he would rather have, a Spitfire or a Gnat, he replied "Both, please." :)

XR537
9th Aug 2007, 21:07
This afternoon, Brian lifted XR537 on her first test flight and she looking very good. No reported problems, and the large gathering of onlookers at the airfield were treated to her first flight over Bmth, since 1976, when she was then part of the Reds display.

Will post up the pictures when I get them off the camera.

More testing tomorrow and the weekend, but looking good so far.

Well done Brian, and all the hard-working enginers who have busted their bits getting her ready for what has been an historic day for all of us at De Havs. :D

Heliport
9th Aug 2007, 22:43
Well done. :ok:
Great news. :ok:
Congratulations. :ok:

Look forward to seeing the pictures.

ThreadBaron
10th Aug 2007, 12:33
Yes! Please post the pics. I cannot stand around here with my tongue out like this for much longer!

And creeping slightly ... Why have I never seen that picture in any of the low flying threads?? It wins hands down as the definitive 'low'.

Heliport
10th Aug 2007, 13:17
TB

It's one of a number of superb low flying pics in this thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=200715).

H.

Groundgripper
10th Aug 2007, 13:21
Why have I never seen that picture in any of the low flying threads?? It wins hands down as the definitive 'low'.

Many years ago I remember seeing a similar photo taken from the same sort of distance and aircraft altitude but absolutely head-on - and the photo taken a few milliseconds later from slightly further away as the aircraft passed directly over the photographer.

It demonstrated brilliantly the great deal of trust and skill on both participants' part.

It could have been in Flight (probably the Roger Bacon page).

GG

ThreadBaron
10th Aug 2007, 14:24
Heliport

Thank you. How embarrassed I am to have missed the majority of that thread.

XR537
11th Aug 2007, 10:40
Haven't got mine off the camera so far, but here's a couple from Julian's camera and one from Nick Dardani...
http://www.cheaky.com/clients/xr537/IMG0747web.jpg
http://www.cheaky.com/clients/xr537/IMG0026web.jpg
which is a considerably better position to be in than this, sat lonely in the corner collecting dust!...
http://www.cheaky.com/clients/xr537/SadGnatyweb.jpg

XR537
11th Aug 2007, 10:46
The low-flying Gnat picture was Ray 'THE Gnat man' Hanna showing how to multitask in a Gnat.
1) Showing how it can be flown
2) Cutting the grass from the power of the jet back-blast
3) ...and blowing the clippings to the side

:cool:

Amos Keeto
11th Aug 2007, 14:52
Well done Geoff....at last!! That low-level photo of Ray Hanna was taken Flight International's staff photographer Tom Hamill and appeared on the back cover of the Flight special - The Red Arrows, the first ten years, published in 1975.

Adrian