PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Pook's Harrier GR3 Falklands book

Gainesy
14th Jun 2007, 14:28
Anybody else read this yet? I couldn't put it down.

Highly recommended, very well written and with interesting details.

Takes a mighty swipe at the RN heirarchy's total lack of nouse in the employment of ground attack aircraft and in some ways mirrors Sharkey Ward's views on "The Flag" and his staff.

Full title is "RAF Harrier Ground Attack Falklands" its 20 quid, but much cheaper from the bigriver online.

Bladecrack
16th Jun 2007, 12:58
Ordered it online yesterday with a few others as it happens, looking forward to reading it.. :)
BC

early_bird
16th Jun 2007, 13:17
Thanks for the heads-up, I'll have a look at it.
Another good one is "Forgoten voices of the Falklands" - I can't remember the Author of the top of my head.
Cheers,
EB

Gainesy
18th Jun 2007, 15:06
See if you can count how many times he uses the word "shambolic" to describe the navy.:E

exMudmover
20th Jun 2007, 10:18
The story also contains fascinating stuff about RN mismanagement of Intelligence, leading directly to operational failures - a parallel with the 15 RN hostages taken by Iran?

kelper
20th Jun 2007, 11:17
Hugh Macmanners is the author of "Forgotten Voices of the Falklands".
Excellent book!:ok:

AR1
22nd Jun 2007, 08:20
Recieved my copy yesterday. Interesting stuff.

It confirmed my sightings of Mirage 5's over the UK in the build up, something I've never seen written before. I saw a pair before we deployed and assumed there was some dissimilar ACM going on.

It mentions Jeff Glover, and while i assume hes mentioned once the action starts, I remember meeting him once in my capacity as Guard on the Chater road gate at Witt. Reconising him as the chap who had a dodgy low level rolloing ejection over port Howard (I think) and subsequently captured, I adressed him by name and gave him the best up-1-2-3 salute I've ever done. Very proud I was and still am of his and others efforts. Respect - as they say these days.:ok:

Double Zero
22nd Jun 2007, 11:28
Quite correct - I thought it was well known Seajet pilots had French co-operation with dissimalar ACM before / during the way down.

Another book well worth reading ( though as far as I remember doesn't cover that paticular subject ) is ' The Secret War For The Falklands' by Nigel West.

Remember a certain landing in South America with Shrikes still attached? The jettison didn't work...

Also it still seems to be quiet as to how Chile suddenly aquired a set of Hunters...

Archimedes
22nd Jun 2007, 13:25
DZ - I think that the Hunters are (quietly) mentioned in passing in the official history byu Sir Lawrence Freedman. In a sort of 'nothing to see here, ladies and gentlemen, move on to the next paragraph, please' way...

trap one
22nd Jun 2007, 14:54
"Quite correct - I thought it was well known Seajet pilots had French co-operation with dissimilar ACM before / during the way down."
Re the French connection. After the conflict the defense Secretary stood up in the house and thanked the Belgians (Mir V) and the French (Super E's). for their support in preparing both the GR3/Shar & F4's
I was involved with the DACT, so can confirm although was threatened with all sorts of dire punishment if we said anything about it to anyone. Even had to refuse to OC Eastern Radar to say anything about it.

LOTA
23rd Jun 2007, 18:52
Just reached chapter 17 of Sqn Ldr Pook's book (chapter entitled More Navy Cockups - :rolleyes:) He is utterly scathing about the lack of co-operation, understanding of recce/ground attack roles and tasking, and tactics displayed by the senior naval command aboard the carrier. And it's both fascinating and horrifying to read how completely shagged-out the Harrier GR3s were with equipment and systems failing all the time - yet they still managed to get the job done.

serf
23rd Jun 2007, 19:43
Bought it this morning and just finished, excellent reading - hats off to the crabs!

Gainesy
24th Jun 2007, 16:24
Just reached chapter 17 of Sqn Ldr Pook's book (chapter entitled More Navy Cockups
...and Chapter 19 is: "Yet More Navy Cockups".
At last they were consistant.:E