PDA

View Full Version : Maintaining radio silence during mayday

robdesbois
14th Jun 2007, 13:40
Hi,

Thought this would be best place to ask this since it probably differs for those flying the big toys.

I'm a ~40 hours PPL(A) student coming up to QXC :eek: and was just pondering this point on my way to work this morning.
If you have FIS (ie assume we're en-route), another a/c declares a mayday and radio silence is mandated, what do you do if you need to change to a different en-route frequency?

Sticking around orbiting until the frequency is clear seems like a waste of time.
Would it be appropriate to silently transfer to your next frequency and inform them that the previous frequency are unaware of change due mayday?

Also, as a quick aside, whilst searching for any previous questions I came across the term 'MOR', seems like it's to do with reporting unsafe flight conduct. Can't find a definition anywhere, can anyone divulge their knowledge?

Thanks!
--rob

gcolyer
14th Jun 2007, 13:48
Key thing to remember is do not enter CAS without permission. On that basis if you do need to change frequency then do so and notify the new controller that you have not notifed the previous controller and the reason why.

In UCAS you don't actually need to speak to anyone, although I always recommend it. So if you are in UCAS and speaking to say scottish information and the mayday is declared along with radio silence, I would recommend calling either one of the LARS units in the area or a local to the area aerodrome and pass the standard who, what, when and where message and notify the new controller that you have not notifed the previous controller and the reason why.

PompeyPaul
14th Jun 2007, 14:03
I asked my RT instructor about this (best not ask RT questions here, there are some very excitable posters who will only barrack and not help much) and he said under those circumstances it was the only time it was acceptable to leave a frequency without having it cleared.

You MUST, however, inform the frequency that you change to that you have left xxx.xxx without informing the ATC due to a mayday \ pan

robdesbois
14th Jun 2007, 14:23
Great, thanks both!
It seemed like the sensible and obvious thing to do, but just wanted some opinion.

Airbus38 - thanks too :)

BackPacker
14th Jun 2007, 14:28
If the controller explicitly declared a "radio silence due mayday" then that's it. If he didn't do that explicitly, it's probably a judgement call. If it's a mayday involving a lot of radio traffic where you can't get a word in edgewise, leave the frequency without telling. See the good advice above.

But for instance a "medical emergency" (sick passenger) does not congest the frequency to an extent that you cannot put in a "XXX changing frequency to YYY" quickly, IMHO. In fact, the controller might be relieved if you do this because it relieves him from whatever service he was supposed to provide, but cannot provide anymore due to his workload, including the alerting service.

And consider this: If you contact the next frequency with the message that you did not sign off with the previous facility, the new facility will probably try to contact the other facility over the landline to tell them you've changed frequencies. So the controller workload, whether or not you signed off yourself, will be the same, most likely. It's more the workload of the mayday pilots involved that needs to be considered.

ProcATCO
14th Jun 2007, 20:44
Standard practice at many units is to declare radio silence on the frequency of the Mayday, with a broadcast transferring traffic to another frequency at the same unit. The actual unit procedures will vary from unit to unit though! The basic info can be found in the RTF Manual CAP413.

Transfer to the next unit when due and inform the new controller of the reason you left the previous one with out calling. All controllers will be sympathetic, and will inform the previous unit for you.

MOR is Mandatory Occurence Report CAA form CA1261. Used by controller to report any occurence relating to safety, eg Airprox, Airspace Infringements etc.

Hope this Helps

Regards

:):ok:

Roffa
14th Jun 2007, 21:40
CAP 382: Mandatory Occurrence Reporting Scheme (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP382.PDF)

See the above link if you'd like more info on the MOR Scheme.