PDA

View Full Version : Instrument Approach Question

Esperanza
14th Jun 2007, 10:11
With regards to ILS, Localizer and NDB approaches I'm trying to remember how far off track/ glideslope an aircraft can be before a missed approach is compulsory. I know that to commence a descent it is necessary to be within 5 degrees of the FAT and that on test the ILS needles shouldn't show more than half scale deflection.
I've been looking through both my notes and Trevor Thom Book 5, but can't find anything in writing that states a definitive point at which a missed approach must be made. I would like to be able to show my student something that defines the above situation in "black and white". Any thoughts?
Thank you in advance for any replies.

bookworm
14th Jun 2007, 14:33
PANS-OPS says:

3.5.5.3 The width of the ILS/MLS final approach area
is much narrower than those of non-precision approaches.
Descent on the glide path/MLS elevation angle must never
be initiated until the aircraft is within the tracking tolerance
of the localizer/azimuth. The ILS obstacle clearance surfaces
assume that the pilot does not normally deviate from the
centre line more than half a scale deflection after being
established on track. Thereafter the aircraft should adhere
to the on-course, on-glide path/elevation angle position since
a more than half course sector deflection or a more than
half course fly-up deflection combined with other allowable
system tolerances could place the aircraft in the vicinity of
the edge or bottom of the protected airspace where loss of
protection from obstacles can occur.

That doesn't answer the question you asked, but does give an idea of when you're at risk of hitting something.

Dr Eckener
14th Jun 2007, 17:44
UK AIP ENR 1-5-4 defines established as half scale for ILS, VOR and 5 degrees for NDB. Outside these limits means you are venturing outside the protected area, and terrain separation reduces, eventually to zero.

You need to look at how an approach is constructed in order to show this. If they have studied ATPL exams, then refer them to their course notes. I would generally say (if you are teaching IR) that the discussion is beyond the scope of the flying element of the course, as it was covered during ATPL's.

Pans-Ops is the place to go if you really want to get something in black and white, or your company ops manual should cover it if you have one.

Hope this helps.

Esperanza
14th Jun 2007, 18:48
Bookworm/ Dr. Eckener
Thank you for your replies. The information contained within these responses is just what I was hoping for. I had a funny feeling that the answer could be found in PANS-OPS. Unfortunately I'm currently working for a very small flying school and so such documentation isn't available to me.
Thanks again.