PDA

View Full Version : Oman-India-Thailand-Singapore

position & hold
14th Jun 2007, 08:16
Gday Everyone,

I have been tasked with Flying an unpressurised piston twin from Muscat(Seeb), Oman, to Singapore via the following route:

Ahmedabad, India;

Kolkata, India;

Either Chang Mai or Bangkok, Thailand.

I am looking for any useful information or local knowledge that may help the flight go as smooth as possible, also if anyone can recommend any particular handling agent at these airfields.

Cheers to all,

P&H
:}

parabellum
14th Jun 2007, 11:52
P&H - Quite a few points spring to mind. Those leg distances for a piston twin are very long, are you fitted for a ferry flight? Do you have HF radio?

Have you thought about staging via Pakistan? There are airfields at Jiwani, Gwadar and Omara and then there is Karachi.

After Kolkata your route takes you through Bangladesh and Myanmar airspace. Communications here won't be good.

Before you even leave Muscat be certain you have your diplomatic clearance for every country whose airspace you will enter, have it in writing and be able to quote numbers when asked, for India you will also need a number issued for defence clearance.

This is all 'overview' stuff and I imagine professional ferry pilots will be able to offer you a lot more information. Even if you are VFR all the way, from Pakistan onward they will want to know all about you and they will order you to land if there is any doubt. Pakistan and Myanmar are on a military footing and Bangladesh are not far behind.

Seriously suggest you seek plenty of advice from your embassy, (required visas etc.) and any ferry outfits before you set off.

TopBunk
14th Jun 2007, 12:56
Not the best time of year weather-wise to do it.

Good luck

411A
15th Jun 2007, 01:11
The availability of avgas at intended landing airfields would be the major problem, I would think.

position & hold
15th Jun 2007, 11:36
Thankyou Parabellum,
Firstly, it will be done in an aircraft with a 1100Nm range, and a new synthesised HF capable of all freqs. We will be routing over Jiwina and Gwadar enroute to Ahmedabad just in case. All sectors are IFR and a reliable and experienced third party is organising clearances and availability of avgas etc...

I would be keen to hear any info on the quality of ATC enroute and / or ground staff at these destinations,

Cheers,

P & H

parabellum
15th Jun 2007, 13:09
Doesn't sound so 'iffy' now P&H, but as Top Bunk has said, the weather won't be on your side. The Monsoon conditions can go from very high right down to the ground. Do you have weather radar?
Pakistani and Indian VHF is not so bad but HF can get a bit cluttered, to say the least! Is your aircraft HF equipped with SELCAL? This can help a lot and get rid of a lot of the HF noise when you don't need to be listening out. Bangladeshi and Myanmar radio is not as good as India and Pakistan but if they can hear you they are helpful.
Again this is 'overview' stuff as I haven't done low level in these areas but I have lived and flown Middle to Far East for a number of years and got a feel for the place.

Be sure to have a nice wad of US$ notes in your back pocket!

Best of luck.

position & hold
16th Jun 2007, 14:48
Unfortunately we are travelling without Wx Radar and Selcal on this occasion, hoping that early morning departures, sat maps and knowledge of the tropics can help us avoid the worst of the weather, and with a bit of luck the new HF set will have an effective squelch function. As always there will plenty of USD to 'negotiate' with shall the need arise. thanks for the help, we are looking forward to seeing some beautiful sights enroute, particuarly coming over the Bay of Bengal and down through Thailand,

Thanks again,

P & H
:ok:

GlueBall
20th Jun 2007, 05:13
Without radar you would be well to do to fly during daylight hours and stay in VFR conditions. :ooh:

merlinxx
20th Jun 2007, 09:51
Be alert to what all posters say, I have put many piston powered through this area on either ferrys, private, record attempts etc, from Tiger Moths up to fund raising record flights. I humbly suggest you get a very good agent for India who can converse with all through India, Myanmar and beyond 'till Malay/Thai FIR. PM for a name & ctcs.