PDA

View Full Version : a bit of terminology

R T Jones
13th Jun 2007, 19:39
Hey guys, I have been doing some research for my ctc phase 3 interviews and have come across a few things. I have searched both here and google and couldn’t find definitive answers so hope someone here may be able to help.
First question is there a particular distance that is defined by transatlantic, transpacific or transcontinental. E.g. is anything over 3000 miles considered transatlantic range? Or is it nothing to do with this!
Second is what are the main differences between legacy, charter and scheduled airlines? Cheers all

BelArgUSA
26th Jun 2007, 22:35
Hola TJ -
xxx
The names and definitions you have there, transcontinental, transatlantic and transpacific are somewhat arbitrary...
xxx
I suspect these definitions were mostly used in the UK/USA aviation community. Generally, in the USA, they mention transcontinental as being a coast to coast flight (i.e. NYC to SFO), transatlantic being in the mind of USA people a NYC to LHR or CDG flight, and transpacific is a typical SFO to TYO flight...
xxx
But in airline operations practice, some other considerations.
As a pilot, I use nautical miles for these distances.
From YQX (Gander) to SNN (Shannon) the air distance is 1,850 NM to cross the ocean... yet distance from NYC to London... is about 3,000 NM.
From SFO to HNL (Honolulu) the air distance is 2,300 NM...
From SFO to Tokyo, transpacific, you are looking at some 6,000 NM...
xxx
So be arbitrary too. For me transcontinental, means some 2,000+ NM...
Transantlantic means 3,500+ range capability...
And for transpacific, how about 6,000+ range...
xxx
Hope this helps -
:)
Happy contrails
P.S. - For me, living in Buenos Aires, a transatlantic flight is a very long flight, as flying to Madrid from here is generally 11 hours long... So honest, no solid definitions... Shall we talk "transpolar" as well...?

beamer
27th Jun 2007, 06:36
Your questions seem a bit OTT for a CTC interview - walk before running ?

R T Jones
27th Jun 2007, 15:05
Perhaps they are beamer! Regardless of the ctc interview it’s always something I’d been curious about anyway, just thought I would try and cover all the angles!