PDA

View Full Version : Roskilde experiences anyone?

Fly Stimulator
13th Jun 2007, 16:45
I'm off for a little tour around Scandinavia in a few days and one of the places I'm intending to visit is Copenhagen.

Does anybody have any experience of the airfield at Roskilde (EKRK), either in terms of flying in there or getting into Copenhagen from there (or indeed both)?

Three Yellows
13th Jun 2007, 19:00
We called in there back in January. We only stopped long enough to change pilots, so I don't have all the local knowledge about taxis etc. I can say that they were very GA friendly and of course everyone speaks fantastic english. The firemen/duty crew where we paid our landing fee even shared their coffee and cakes with us.

I'd recommend it. I'd also recommend Aarhus.

MikeSamuel
13th Jun 2007, 22:30
It's a shame, you're going a couple of weeks before the festival (http://www.roskilde-festival.dk)...not been to the airfield, though seen the GA traffic while camping at said festival.
The town is worth a look around, especially down by the waterfront (Roskilde Fjord IIRC). The cathedral is impressive if that's your kind of thing. Prepare yourself for £5 pints though!

It's about 30 minutes on the train into central Copenhagen, regular services which always seem to be on time!

gasax
14th Jun 2007, 09:30
Its a few years ago but we had a very good experience at Roskilde.

Very helpful, better English than my Scottish companian, convenient for Copenhagen and a nice town in intself. Must visit is the Viking ship museum.

Think of the best British GA field you have ever visited then add spotless facilities and a very helpful staff. Makes it a shame to leave!

zakka
14th Jun 2007, 13:48
Good field, no problems getting in to. If you wanna go to Copenhagen from Roskilde Airport you can take a taxi to Roskilde trainstation, and then take the train from there. There is also a bus from the airport, but it only goes a couple times a day.

Miserlou
14th Jun 2007, 15:03
As above.
Bus service is useless (get a taxi to Roskilde) but the trains are regular(to CPH).
Much easier to use and more helpful than any UK airfield.

You may also consider Bornholm, Aalborg and Stauning (including museum) on your trip.

Fly Stimulator
15th Jun 2007, 08:59
Thanks everybody - very helpful. :ok:

MAW CPH
17th Jun 2007, 14:50
Roskilde is a fine place - have been there several times (i'm a dane so thats why:O).
BUT...
1) check their overnighting prices - can be expensive! Landing fee for a PA28 is app. £10
2) No busses - cab from ap to the train station is app. £15-17
3) Train ticket to CPH app. £10 r/t.
There is only one alternative and that is EKGH. Its a private airfield with a 3000ft hard rwy and avgas only. PPR is the rule because of noise-procedures. See more on www.ekgh.dk
EKGH is app. 45 min from CPH. You can walk in a slow pace to the train station in 15 min. or bike if you have a bike with you in 5 min.
Landing fee is high - £20 - but staying over for several nights is free. And camping is possible. There is a toilet but no showers or kitchen at the field. Only outside parking.
EKGH to Kronborg=Hamlet, Helsigoer, takes 20 min. by train. The Castle, Fredensborg Castle, is two minutes by train (one stop). Here lives the crown prince and his wife - and it is possible to walk the garden.
Downside w/EKGH: very quiet, no ils = if weather is bad (below 800ft) landing is difficult, can only be used 7-22 local time (but do have rwy-lights), and twice the ldg-price than ekrk.
Best, Maw

Seagull61
17th Jun 2007, 21:37
Am off there in 3 weeks for the festival. Arriving on the Thurs and out on the Sun.

So far all the feedback and info from the airport looks good!

Fly Stimulator
22nd Jun 2007, 10:23
Back now from my trip and I can report that Roskilde is indeed a fine place.

Very little traffic, plenty of space, friendly people and very good value. Looking at my invoice, the parking fee for two nights was 92 DKR which is about £9. By UK standards the fuel (assuming you are leaving Denmark where there seems to be a reduced price) is a real bargain at about 66p per litre.

The AVGAS pump takes BP fuel cards. If you don't have one you'll need human intervention - the fuel office is just opposite the pumps.

The taxi to Roskilde station was about £15, exactly as MAW CPH says.

All-in-all, a good place to stop.

That Grønholt link looks interesting too. One to file away for next time.

MikeSamuel
29th Jun 2007, 11:32
Have two tickets and some Easyjet flights for Roskilde this week. If anyone is trying to get hold of tickets see here and make me an offer.

eBay (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2x-Roskilde-Festival-Tickets_W0QQitemZ330141120524QQihZ014QQcategoryZ1306QQssPage NameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Can't go due to interviews with Atlantic Airlines!

Coldbear
1st Jul 2007, 19:24
hi there,

I'm doing my ATPL integrated in Roskilde and it is indeed a nice airport and friendly ATC and airport officers. When the weather is good there is a lot of school flights out in the traffic pattern together with IFR flights practicing approaches.

The Roskilde Festival is comming up next weekend and it's always fun....it's about 1-2miles from the airport. Very nice to fly over.

Martin

Seagull61
2nd Jul 2007, 14:09
We are 3 planes coming from ENZV for the festival, but looking at the charts for the week ahead it looks like we maybe grounded. Can`t say i fancy the 12hr drive as the altenative though!