PDA

View Full Version : Aviation Sound Track

hekokimushi
13th Jun 2007, 14:31
Hello fellers,
I'm a cadet for an airline, and in the early stages of producing a graduation video. However, i am currently lack of good sound tracks to go with my video. any great aviation soundtrack, jazz, orherstra do you people have as favorite music for aviation??
If you have any, please post Artist and the Music title please, thanks
your help would be great. thanks
hek.

Wessex Boy
13th Jun 2007, 14:56
Anything from 'The Private Music of Tangerine Dream' great soundtrack album for late night driving/flying

Learning to Fly by Pink Floyd

F900EX
13th Jun 2007, 15:14
Apolo 440 - Astral America (liverpool band) Track is popular amongst fighter pilots (apparently)

maxdrypower
13th Jun 2007, 16:24
How about Carly Simon , " Your so Vain"
sorry couldnt resist:)

oli,_the_original
13th Jun 2007, 17:49
Danger Zone from the start of topgun?

What sort of theme are you trying to set? Comedy, serious, etc?

maxdrypower
13th Jun 2007, 17:54
on a more sensible and constructive note , whilst stationed in the sandpit during the limited skirmish in the middle east in 91 we had lots of vids of GR1's etc etc taxying and taking off and we put that to Phil Collins "In the air tonight " really gave it an ambience

360BakTrak
13th Jun 2007, 20:19
Saw a video of the last cruise of F14's aboard a US carrier, can't remember which one, with The Who's 'Baba O' Riley' (spelling?!) which sounded great IMHO.

tangovictor
13th Jun 2007, 21:15
where eagles fly by Sammy Hagar

Pitts2112
13th Jun 2007, 21:17
Well, I just finished a little video for my family and a few mates. I used AC/DC's "Shoot to Thrill". May not be very aviation oriented, but it's a kick-ass tune!

Pitts2112

BRL
13th Jun 2007, 22:34
Well, I just finished a little video for my family and a few mates. I used AC/DC's "Shoot to Thrill". May not be very aviation oriented, but it's a kick-ass tune!

Put it on You Tube and let us all have a look!

hekokimushi
13th Jun 2007, 22:56
thanks guys. now looking for the source for ones listed above.

will have serious, happy, tough, comedy, chapters or themes.
mainly after background music, preferrably plain music with no lyrics :) coz we have a narrata, would like to make it like a biography as a cadet but holywood-alike style.

eharding
13th Jun 2007, 23:13
Use a bit of Rob Dougan - everyone else does.
A lot of potential in the Real World label - maybe some Afro Celt Sound System?
At a stretch, a bit of Robbie Williams?
http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-5448227753369858220&hl=en-GB
No idea who the fat git in the tractor is though.....
Baba O'Riley at the start of Fighter Fling 2004 - spine tingling stuff....

the bald eagle
13th Jun 2007, 23:31
BOMBER by MOTORHEAD :E

gcolyer
14th Jun 2007, 09:43
Stephen Stills and Neil Young's Tree top Flyer. Great tune.

Rabbs
14th Jun 2007, 21:43
I made a home flying vid and used "Don't stop me now" - Queen - great track

hekokimushi
24th Jun 2007, 07:51
great songs guys thanks.
still looking for some that has no lyrics. :)
keep'em coming please.
thanks very much.

proctor
24th Jun 2007, 08:27
How about 'Daybreaker' by ELO. I don't suppose you know it, but it's a smashing instrumental. I reckon it could fit an aviation video quite well, and you can't go wrong with a bit of Jeff Lynne.

Proctor

flugholm
25th Jun 2007, 00:53
Some good choices so far, but how about something less well-known, perhaps?

There's a fairly unknown little song called "Flying" by The Beatles (ever heard of them?). It's on the "Magical Mystery Tour" soundtrack and an almost-instrumental, the words only go something like "La-la-la-lalalala....".

Or just about anything by Dick Dale...! (Dick is a very nice guy and flies a Cessna 337.)

Should be easily available from your local record store, or bigsouthamericanriver . com , I guess.

Jinkster
26th Jun 2007, 17:33
What about Joni Mitchell - Amelia?

pilotdiver
16th Oct 2007, 03:36
Glad we could help - Nelnel

Cusco
16th Oct 2007, 09:38
'Nimrod' from Elgars Enigma Variations is perfect for the serious/triumphal bit............

Cusco;)

Fake Sealion
16th Oct 2007, 10:29
......Pre-vocal intro to Floyd's "Shine on you crazy diamond"

The way it starts quiet and builds to a climax has always struck me as a perfect soundtrack to images of an aircraft being pre-flighted, starting, taxying and becoming airborne.

Go to your Wish you were Here or Echoes CD and listen

FS

high-hopes
16th Oct 2007, 10:31
Iron Maiden - Aces High ;)

Saab Dastard
16th Oct 2007, 10:47
For laid-back flying, nothing can beat Albatross by Fleetwood Mac, or "Shine on you crazy diamond" (first 5 minutes of wish you were here), by Pink Floyd. Almost up there is "Echoes" from the album Meddle - again by the Floyd.

There's a lovely track by Brian Eno called "Ascent" on the Apollo album that's appropriate for smooth flying.

For spirited flying, I think that "Dance of the Furies" from Orpheus & Eurydice by Gluck is brilliant! And for tongue-in-cheek pomp, the "Luftwaffe March" from the Battle of Britain by Ron Goodwin is excellent.

Other suggestions would be stuff by Vangelis - like the theme from Blade Runner, or tracks from Albedo 0.39.

And I have to include the Sinfonia from Cantata #29 by JS Bach, because it is my favourite piece of music to drive to - and I just wish I could fly with it also!

NB - All are without lyrics (the Floyd tracks start with at least 3-5 minutes without lyrics).

SD

ps - if you want to take the p155, try the Flower Duet from Lakme by Delibes ;)

skyfiend
16th Oct 2007, 13:48
Learning to Fly by Tom Petty.

Wonderful, uplifting tune... :O

will5023
16th Oct 2007, 15:33
remembered seeing this on the RV forum, good sound track and video of an RV4 flying low ! if link does not work type in "tree top flyer" on U tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Imq3dMUiOWE

Will.

Slow Progress
16th Oct 2007, 21:50
I'd go with Wide Open Space by Mansun

Slow Progress

foxmoth
16th Oct 2007, 22:15
Pre-vocal intro to Floyd's "Shine on you crazy diamond"
The way it starts quiet and builds to a climax has always struck me as a perfect soundtrack to images of an aircraft being pre-flighted, starting, taxying and becoming airborne.
This was used in the opening of a programme on the Confederate AF, Pan shot at dawn with the sun coming up behind the aircraft - magic:ok:

Captain Smithy
17th Oct 2007, 06:20
Can't believe nobody so far has mentioned Spirit In The Sky by Norman Greenbaum!

There was also an old Van Halen song that, in the video for the song, featured the Blue Angels, it was called Dreams, it's a good song too.

Smithy

trafficcontrol
17th Oct 2007, 08:06
Lenny Kravits fly away, worked perfect in mine! :-D

I'm sure it would do wonders for yours! lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsryPvPTkA8

ariel
17th Oct 2007, 19:27
'Angel' by Massive Attack.

Used in the desert attack scene from Flight of the Phoenix

ariel

Contacttower
17th Oct 2007, 20:14
The Top Gun anthem.

Humaround
18th Oct 2007, 08:48
Plenty of good suggestions here.

But just a word of caution, it sounds like you are producing a video for commercial use - for a company or whatever. If so, you can't just slap a CD track on there, you will need record company permission to do that. Or you can use Library music, no permission needed but a licence fee to be paid through PRS (which would also apply if you did get permission to use a record co. track)

Of course, no problem if it's just for personal, non-commercial use (Youtube or whatever) although there is a lot of negotiation going on about that too..

Oh - just read your post more carefully - Graduation video - shouldn't be a problem with that...

:)

ClearOfCloud
18th Oct 2007, 19:43
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9T51UsuaPU

The music is "Champions" from the album The Mass by ERA.

The other music I've seen with flying video is "Now We Are Free" from the Gladiator soundtrack. Here's one example of it.... not the best one I've seen but you get the idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs94r8CcAAg

David

BEagle
17th Mar 2008, 21:47
'Top Gun' was on Sky Movies this evening. But am I going mad, or have they done something to the original sound track? The version I watched seemed to have a lot of extra, rather unnecessary music which I don't recall on the original version....

rauxaman
17th Mar 2008, 21:51
633 Squdaron

eharding
17th Mar 2008, 21:54
'Top Gun' was on Sky Movies this evening. But am I going mad, or have they done something to the original sound track? The version I watched seemed to have a lot of extra, rather unnecessary music which I don't recall on the original version....

No idea - tuned in just at the end to see the attempted formation rolling collision during the credits - classic cinema.

Cpt_Pugwash
17th Mar 2008, 22:16
Don't know the title , but the soundtrack to a military aviation video with commentary by Rory Underwood always impressed me. Drum licks perfectly synchronised with weapon effects! Performed by a group called Kick.
Sadly, loaned out my copy and never got it back.

BEagle
18th Mar 2008, 08:34
Anyone confirm whether there is more than one version of Top Gun? I don't mean the audio CD, I mean the movie itself.

Crosswind Limits
18th Mar 2008, 09:32
Ride like the Wind - Christopher Cross

foxmoth
18th Mar 2008, 11:35
He's probably graduated by now!:}

Major Major
18th Mar 2008, 12:37
Probably... but what a rich vein of convesation.

Great Gig In The Sky - Pink Floyd. No words but powerful stuff.

Starlight - Muse. Words but marvellous song (used it for one of my home vids in 2006 and it went down well).

Toccata - Sky. Modern (well it was in the 80s) reworking of the classical organ piece, with electric guitars and drums and synths and new fangled things. I love it.

As for more than one version of Top Gun, I have the DVD and there is a lot more music than I remembered, but it is the original cut. I don't think they've ever done multiple edits.

Edited to say that when I put together anything that needs a soundtrack, I go for something of that year - hence Starlight in 2006. It deliberately dates the video.

Barshifter
18th Mar 2008, 23:08
Magic Carpet Ride-Steppenwolf