PDA

View Full Version : Private Flying European Fly In.

BRL
13th Jun 2007, 10:01
Suggestions please for a place and date for a European fly-in.

My suggestions are: L2K or anywhere in Ireland and the date I suggest is 29 July or 4th/5th August.

Please use this thread to suggest place and dates. After a week or so we will see where is popular and when and decide from that.

Thanks.

Mariner9
13th Jun 2007, 11:09
Deauville. With lunch in Honfleur :ok:

gcolyer
13th Jun 2007, 11:58
Lille LFQQ
Weston EIWT (great restraunt, busy airspace, only 15 euro landing fee, and 30 mins taxi to Dublin)

gcolyer
14th Jun 2007, 12:23
Well doesn't seem to be much interest!

If I can get a club plane booked for a day or 2 (busy time of year for club planes) then I will definatley be up for it.

stickandrudderman
16th Jun 2007, 10:03
Count me in. Destination unknown!:8

dublinpilot
16th Jun 2007, 10:54
Would this be an overnight destination or a day trip?

gcolyer
16th Jun 2007, 11:07
Weston would be a fun day out for you Dublinpilot

S-Works
17th Jun 2007, 08:41
deauville gets my vote.

BRL
17th Jun 2007, 13:52
Two nominations for Deauville.

Don't think there will be other suggestions so now to decide a date for a day out.....

stickandrudderman
17th Jun 2007, 14:31
OK, Deauville it is!
I'll be going in a SR22, so let me know if you want to fill the remaining seats.
Don't care when.
Stick.

JW411
17th Jun 2007, 14:35
You could always try the fly-in at Spa on 3, 4 and 5 August.

Wrong Stuff
17th Jun 2007, 18:56
I'm happy with Deauville. It has a restaurant at the airport with a good reputation (imaginatively titled Restaurant de l'Aeroport I think). The only downside is that it's an expensive taxi ride into town - about EUR 35 each way for Honfleur. I probably wouldn't bother going into town though.

Any takers for Saturday 14th July?

Cusco
17th Jun 2007, 22:52
I can't believe you tight *rsed pilots are put off a trip to one of the most beautiful towns in France by a 20 quid each way taxi-ride, when you can save this (and then some) by the fuel drawback.
I don't post on PPRUNE much but as my planned trip to Deauville last week was clobbered by fog I might even be up for this.
I'll pay for a taxi : the rest of you tight-*rsed gits can walk.................
Safe flying
Cusco.;);)

stickandrudderman
18th Jun 2007, 06:38
Hear Hear!:D

Wrong Stuff
18th Jun 2007, 07:09
Yes, maybe that is a bit tight :O. Honfleur is lovely, but I've been a number of times before and stayed overnight too. So the thought of paying an extra £50 for a quick walk round the harbour and a visit to a chocolate shop seemed unappealing.

[Edited to add...]

I'll be flying from Cranfield and should be able to take at least one other. I'll probably fly IFR in the airways, so it may be a good opportunity for someone who's thinking about doing an IR and wants to see what you get for your money.

Dates are difficult for me. I can definitely do either the 14th/15th July or the 25th/26th August, but anything in between is unlikely.

S-Works
18th Jun 2007, 08:33
I'll share the cab with CUSCO, I am sure we have plenty to talk about...... :)

Mariner9
18th Jun 2007, 08:48
Well, buggered if I'm flying to Deauville then just eating at the airfield, I'm still voting for a taxi into Honfleur. A really pretty town with some fabulous restaurants. Somebody proposed 14th July, I'll second that :ok:

gcolyer
18th Jun 2007, 08:55
If I can get a club plane for the day then count me in. If not does any fancy a pit stop at Filton?

Mariner9
18th Jun 2007, 09:47
If I can get a club plane for the day then count me in. If not does any fancy a pit stop at Filton?

Subject to Mrs M9's social diary and the date we eventually decide upon, I may have a spare seat from Upfield Farm.

gcolyer
18th Jun 2007, 10:21
Great stuff. I flew in to Upfield farm last year in a Cessna 337.

FlyingForFun
18th Jun 2007, 17:51
Put me down as a definitely maybe.....

Is it a day trip, or a weekend trip? Mrs FFF is working in the morning, so if we could fly down around lunch-time it might work - assuming everyone else won't be heading home already by that time! Otherwise I'll just have to leave her here. ;) And it's all dependant on whether we're moving house, too.

If anyone fancies a trip in a Duchess, from Bournemouth, but (at the moment) with the possibility that I might have to cancel, PM me!

FFF
----------------

Three Yellows
18th Jun 2007, 21:14
Sorry, not trying to change anything or throw a spanner in the works, but
Wrong Stuff has a bit of a point, Deauville is a bit of a rip off....

Landing Fee at Deauville in a 1785kg twin ...EUR 40
Landing Fee at Caen in same a/c ......EUR 5.99

Deauville has no AVGAS and has just notamed that JETA1 is now only for based a/c.

Caen has same facilities as Deauville, i.e. radar (Deauville's I know) ILS/VOR/NDB. AND a CROSS runway! ... except strangely CAEN has no traffic.

I have only used Caen as a staging post to enter/leave France so I haven't left the airfield for the town, but its pretty close to town so I'm sure the taxi wouldn't be as expensive as the Deauville/Honfleur swindle.

Went in and out twice at the weekend, very friendly and helpful. You just need to email them to notify customs, who of course don't bother to actually turn up!

S-Works
18th Jun 2007, 21:40
caen is good for me!

Three Yellows
19th Jun 2007, 05:34
Noooooooo, :{

I wasn't trying to change the plans for this trip and a 'one off' Deauville would be great, especially for folks that haven't ventured to France before - or have only made it as far as LFAT. I was just pointing out that for regular day trippers to France, you can get the 'bacon sandwich, with garlic' without being ripped off.

Incidentally, since posting yesterday, I double checked the NOTAMS. There is now no mention of AvGas not being available at LFRG... so that either means that it is available or that its been in the NOTAMS for so long that everyone must know by now. When I get a minute I'll check with them.

Mariner9
19th Jun 2007, 08:15
Deauville had 100LL last month, by coincidence Caen was NOTAMed as sans 100LL ;)

Caen's a great airfield, and a handy customs entry/exit/fuel stopoff (normally ;)) but the town is nowhere near as charming as Honfleur or Trouville :ok:

Another suggestion - how about Dinard? Cheap landing fees, short taxi ride into a charming town.

Three Yellows
19th Jun 2007, 16:55
Dinard is great, but quite a bit further south for those folks travelling from 'up north'. I think that we should go with BRL's suggestion of Deauville.

Wrong Stuff
19th Jun 2007, 17:16
So Deauville on 14th July then, with lunch in Honfleur.

Does anybody have a good restaurant recommendation?

Three Yellows
19th Jun 2007, 20:29
Noooooo :{

That's Bastille Day and (obviously) a Saturday..... that would be like going to Brighton on a hot Bank Holiday Weekend. Shall we think of another date?

Cusco
19th Jun 2007, 21:53
When I rang Deauville last week from my strip just prior to departure (only to be told they had fog) they also dropped the pearl that they were only allowing 50L avgas per a/c. Nada in the Notams............

Cusco:ugh:

Wrong Stuff
20th Jun 2007, 08:02
Noooooo

That's Bastille Day and (obviously) a Saturday..... that would be like going to Brighton on a hot Bank Holiday Weekend. Shall we think of another date?
Ah! Very good point. How about either Saturday 7th or Sunday 8th July?

gcolyer
20th Jun 2007, 08:04
I don't really care when or where. I just need to know ASAP so I can cource an aircraft in time.

Mariner9
20th Jun 2007, 08:19
How about either Saturday 7th or Sunday 8th July?

That's the weekend of the Flyer summer bash. Potentially a few of us on here going there (I am for one)

gcolyer
24th Jun 2007, 19:29
Have we decided on a destination and date yet?? The clock is ticking.

Wrong Stuff
24th Jun 2007, 19:54
I've been making the running in suggesting dates, but my two free weekends aren't good for other reasons, so I'll have to bow out and leave the suggestions to others. I'll be at the flyin if I can (wherever and whenever) but dependent on other commitments which won't be clear for a while.

Three Yellows
24th Jun 2007, 20:42
gcolyer,

... you choose......

gcolyer
24th Jun 2007, 21:03
Well the 14th suits me better (if I can get a club plane). As for destination I am not all that fussed. Deauville is fine or anywhere else on the west coast of France.

If I take a club plane I will be staying in France over night as Filton closes the runway at 17:30 at weekends. So keeping that in mind I don't mind going further than the west coast.

Three Yellows
25th Jun 2007, 08:57
gcoyler,

please see posts 28 and 30.

gcolyer
25th Jun 2007, 09:59
Well you did ask me to choose:ugh:

7th or 8th of July is no good for me, so it would have to be 14th or later.

Mariner9
25th Jun 2007, 11:27
OK then, how about Sat 21st July?

Three Yellows
25th Jun 2007, 16:48
Well you did ask me to choose:ugh:

I know, I know...... IMHO France to be avoided that day.

gcolyer
26th Jun 2007, 08:46
21st is fine by me....I think.

Could always forget France and go to Belgium or Netherlands. Or really go for it and go to Innsbruck..always wanted to fly myself there.

Mariner9
26th Jun 2007, 10:00
Well if we're talking about a weekend jolly, how about Berlin Templehof (get it in your logbook while you still can!)

gcolyer
26th Jun 2007, 10:45
Well I personally will be making it a weekend Jolly as Filton closes to early to be able to do it in a day (without rushing).

All though for me it all depends on me being ablt to get a plane booked. i could also go to the Isle of Man and grab the 337, PA32,PA28 or AA5-B but that adds a 4 hour return trip on top of the Euro trip, and I am not made of money.

So it is a club plane from Filton or nothing for me. And being summer (supposedly) and the club only has 2 planes I might struggle to get one. hence I need to firm up a date and destination ASAP.

Templehof would be cool.

Three Yellows
26th Jun 2007, 15:28
Templehof it is then.

.... will Filton not let you back in after closing? That's a bit miserable on these long (summer) evenings.

gcolyer
26th Jun 2007, 15:49
Once Filton closes that's it closed. It is bit of a bugger but at £81 an hour for a PA28 I won't start complaining. Plus in the club plane there are no landing fees VFR or IFR so again no complaining.

So if I plan a decent lenght trip I always make a jolly out of it. If I take an aircraft away for a weekend I need to put a minimum of 2 hours a day on the plane or I will have to pay for 2 hours per day. Either way whoopy de do that is still only £322 rental for a weekend.

Best I buy a new map that has Templehof on it, any one know which map it is on? and I take it jepp VFR charts are the best option for germany.

Wrong Stuff
26th Jun 2007, 18:07
Tempelhof is a really great destination. I've been a couple of times and I'd thoroughly recommend it to anyone. BUT... it's about 6 hours each way in your average spam can. The first time I went it was out on the Saturday and back on the Sunday in a Grumman Tiger and it was a pretty long slog.

If you fancy something different, non-French, and a bit closer then either Maastricht or Antwerp are both worth a visit and quite feasible for a weekend trip.

gcolyer
26th Jun 2007, 18:19
6 hours in an AA-5B is probably 7 hours in a 172 or PA28 (151 to 181)

stickandrudderman
26th Jun 2007, 23:22
I've been to Templehof in a Piper Dakota, and at 135kts it's a long way.
That said, I'm prepared to do it again, but only if I've got some contributors towards the cost!
Stick
(SR22)

gcolyer
27th Jun 2007, 07:56
Stick,

If I can't get a club plane do you fancy dropping in to Filton? and I am more than prepared to share the cost.

S-Works
27th Jun 2007, 08:30
Templehoff sounds fun. I would be up for it.

stickandrudderman
27th Jun 2007, 17:44
Stick,

If I can't get a club plane do you fancy dropping in to Filton? and I am more than prepared to share the cost

Hmmm, Berlin is East, and Filton is West. How are you going to talk me into it?

FullyFlapped
27th Jun 2007, 19:40
Anyone know when Templehof closes ?

FF :ok:

FlyingForFun
4th Jul 2007, 16:36
So what's happening regarding the day out then?

Last time I checked this thread, it was going to be Deauville on 14th. I stopped following it because I didn't think I was free - but now I find I am free, and there are all kinds of other dates and places being suggested, so I'm totally confused. :\:hmm:

Anyway, if it's Deauville on 14th, there's a chance I can make it if I can find someone to cost-share with from Bournemouth. It will probably be in a BE24, but maybe in a BE76 if I can afford it.

On the other hand, if it's another date I'll have to check because I've got a few family commitments as well as a house-move to fit in. And if it's any further than Deauville then I don't think my bank balance can accommodate it!

FFF
-------------

S-Works
4th Jul 2007, 17:26
I will share the Duchess with you if you want? I can fly down to Bournemouth. Who's is it one of Anthonys?

Wrong Stuff
4th Jul 2007, 18:33
The weekend of the 7th got binned because it clashes with the Flyer Summer Bash. The 14th got binned because it's the Bastille Day weekend. Tempelhof won't happen because there's only two or three potential participants who could realistically get there and back in a weekend. Those who can make Tempelhof are probably going on the PPL/IR trip there on the first weekend in August anyway.

Unfortunately, although a good idea at the time, splitting the fly-in into two - the European and UK branches - seems to have left too few participants to give each enough momentum. We should consolidate them back into one, fix a date far enough in advance which doesn't clash with anything else (18th August?) and then argue about where we're going to go.

gcolyer
4th Jul 2007, 19:12
Templhof is doable VFR in a weekend.

S-Works
4th Jul 2007, 19:37

You are having a laugh! Not in the average VFR spam can that people would be renting. It's a full days traveling each way.

Not to say I would not be happy to go. It's a great trip airways.

gcolyer
4th Jul 2007, 20:40
Of course it is doable in the average spamcan....fair cop it is a good slog each way but it is doable. Obvisously weather permitting.

Where's your sense of adventure? I would do it with the basic 6 instruments. Fly there...eat...sleep...fly back. Great fun.

FlyingForFun
4th Jul 2007, 20:51
I will share the Duchess with you if you want? I can fly down to Bournemouth. Who's is it one of Anthonys?If it goes ahead, I'll have to scrape together the finances to be able to afford half the Duchess, and you're on! Doesn't sound so likely now though... :(

FFF
--------------

Wrong Stuff
4th Jul 2007, 22:20

So let me get this right.

You want to pick a random weekend a few weeks in the future and you're hoping by chance to have VFR weather from the UK all the way to the east of Germany not only on the Saturday but also on the Sunday? And the forecast needs to be reliable enough for the Sunday that everyone can be reasonably sure that, flying VFR, they're almost certain to get back? And with the majority of other participants who think that anything beyond Le Touquet is a bit too much of a challenge?

As I've said before, Tempelhof is great... but... I've done it for a weekend and, believe me, even in a 130kt SEP, flying airways, it's a bl**dy long slog. For an informal VFR fly-in it's absolutely a non-starter.

Doesn't sound so likely now though...

Other commitments allowing, I'm still up for a fly-in somewhere, as I'm sure others are. Something which allows students and low-time PPLs to stretch their wings would be ideal, in my opinion. There's a considerable amount of experience to draw from amongst some of the participants in this forum. We just need three things - a date, a destination, and less needless worry about crossing the English Channel.

pumper_bob
4th Jul 2007, 23:41
What about Spa for the GP weekend? The average 4 seater with 3 in it would work out appx 2hrs each from most places on or about the 0deg line! If its too busy at La Saulnier, then Theux 12 miles to the north is a great field with Verviere only a couple of minutes by cab! Thoroughly recomended.