PDA

View Full Version : Private Flying UK Fly-In..............

BRL
13th Jun 2007, 09:58
Suggestions please for a place and date for a UK fly-in.

My suggestions are: IOW, Popham, Compton Abass, Goodwood or Redhill and the date I suggest is 28 July or 11th August.

Please use this thread to suggest place and dates. After a week or so we will see where is popular and when and decide from that.

Thanks.

DX Wombat
13th Jun 2007, 10:12
Why are all the suggestions for darn sarf? Why not Breighton? Elvington? Sleap? Caernarfon? The first three have museums (the landings are free at Breighton) and Caernarfon is near the seaside. Oh! How could I nearly forget Duxford? Great place, helpful FISOs and plenty to see.

davidatter708
13th Jun 2007, 10:28
Anywhere Interesting and unusual somewhere that most people wouldnt think of going and If im around I'm up for it.
david

BRL
13th Jun 2007, 10:44
Why are all the suggestions for darn sarf?

We have done fly-ins in the south and they have been really popular. I am just getting the ball rolling!!!!!

I am sure some grown ups will be here soon suggesting the likes of Oban, Barton, Blackpool etc etc...... :D

Mariner9
13th Jun 2007, 11:05
To make it an even bigger fly-in, we could tag on to the Robin Hood Rally at Hucknall Sat 23rd or Sun 24th June. Lots to see and do there.

Things are progressing well with our Regional Rally/Charity Aviation Weekend on 23rd and 24th June 2007 with a 12 item air display on the Saturday, including the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight and other warbirds, and an Aviation Enthusiast Fair on Sunday with up to 80 stalls. Both days will have various exhibitors from General Aviation and Rally aircraft arriving.

gcolyer
13th Jun 2007, 11:10
Does that beach up liverpool way still allow aircraft to land on it? I can't remember the name of it now, but last time I was there you could land on it, and someone was offering pleasure flights from it. That might be fun

Knight Paladin
13th Jun 2007, 17:04
Wombat - Caernaerfon has a museum too.

maxdrypower
13th Jun 2007, 17:07
Try benbecula , hell of a way but amazing scenery and lovely little place

LysanderV8
13th Jun 2007, 20:47
I think that beach up Liverpool way was probably Ainesdale. Went for a flight in a Fox Moth from there moons ago - G-AOJH IIRC. Not sure what the situation is there now

DX Wombat
13th Jun 2007, 21:14
Thanks Knight P, I didn't know that. :ok:

RS2
14th Jun 2007, 19:12
How about Halfpenny Green, a visit to the local vineyard, and a quick taxi ride over to the Cold War Exhibition at Cosford. What you spend on your taxi you save on entrance as Cosford is now free.

DX Wombat
14th Jun 2007, 19:22
I have a Zafira which can take six passengers so if you come to Halfpenny Green on a day when I am there I will happily provide transport to the Vineyard as it is only 2 miles down the road, and also (but for 6 people only) to Cosford.

SkyHawk-N
14th Jun 2007, 19:35
a visit to the local vineyard

...and what exactly would people do at the vineyard? :=

McFunkletrumpet
14th Jun 2007, 19:43
The one oop-north is in fact at Southport. To be correct it is Birkdale Sands.
It no longer exists however.
BUT before anyone stands to correct me you will see a programme on BBC 2 on Sunday at 8pm showing a Fox Moth, G-ACEJ, landing there last year.Well, not exactly there. It was a little way away. Makes good tele though.
I understand that Blackpool has become less GA friendly of late. Frankly, there isn't anywhere up here which would lend itself to a decent fly-in.

RS2
14th Jun 2007, 19:54
Visit the craft centre :ok: and buy some wines with personalised labels, always makes a nice surprise pressie.

DX Wombat
14th Jun 2007, 19:59
and what exactly would people do at the vineyardWell, apart from the things already mentioned, I think there is a fishing pool there too. :ok: What might you have been thinking of Skyhawk? :confused: You were doing a lot of finger wagging. :rolleyes:
Nearly forgot, the cafe at Halfpenny Green has been taken over by the famous Red Lion Pub. :ok: There is also a cafe at the Vineyard.

SkyHawk-N
14th Jun 2007, 20:05
Well I've got to admit it sounds a novel idea. Fly-in, visit a craft centre, get bottles of wine with customized labels and do a spot of fishing! I would never have thought of that one :hmm:

DX Wombat
14th Jun 2007, 20:09
Don't forget the visit to Cosford too :)
Just remembered, there is a Fabric Barn on the way to Cosford too. :ok:

Keef
14th Jun 2007, 20:18
Benbecula - no, very wacky.

A group of friends landed there one very wet day, and had the main door from the apron slammed and locked in their faces because the scheduled flight for the day had just boarded. They got extremely wet!
Never again!

Oban is lovely. Caernarfon is nice. Duxford is interesting.
Deauville is excellent. Many more are well worth a visit.

ProcATCO
14th Jun 2007, 20:35
Why not come to Swansea?

I admit I am biased as I am running the Air Ground there at the moment, but we are trying to attract more folk! The cafe is up and running again Wed to Sun complete with a 6ft+ tall Jamaican Rastafarian Chef called Charles!1

Come on all, give us a go, we are in a lovely place!!

Regards

:ok:

michaelthewannabe
14th Jun 2007, 22:29
if it's on the 28th July, and anyone from round Oxford way (Oxford, Kemble, Enstone, Wellesborne, Wycombe, White Waltham, etc.) fancies cost-sharing with a student, please give me a shout!

davidatter708
26th Jun 2007, 11:02
Come on ppl more suggestions are happening on a european one what about a uk fly in .
David

BRL
26th Jun 2007, 18:11
Popham is always a good place to go.

Pretty central and has a cafe.

Rod1
26th Jun 2007, 18:52
Why not come up with two extremes. Go for Mull, or Lands End and decide the evening before depending on the weather.

Rod1

motherbird
26th Jun 2007, 18:59
Red Bull Air Race in London is on 28th/29th July.

Rans Flyer
26th Jun 2007, 19:03
I vote for Duxford or Popham.

Rans,
www.FlightForLife.co.uk

flexy
27th Jun 2007, 08:28
naaah - Sandown on the Isle of Widget. Has everything - camping, caravans, stuff to do, Learners water crossing, good flyingclub/bar/food and you can stop at the pophams etc etc on the way!

Hireandhire
27th Jun 2007, 11:19
May I suggest Bob's annual charity fly-in and Summer Fair at Sherlowe near Telford on 7th July?
Central England ::ok:
Near Cosford Cold war Exhibition :ok:
For a good cause :ok:
Comes complete with Cheeky Girl(s):D
regards
HnH

Hireandhire
27th Jun 2007, 11:27
Been having trouble with the old attachment: still lost the graphics -
"SHERLOWE AIRSTRIP
HIGH ERCALL, SHROPSHIRE
On Saturday 7th July 2007 from 10:00 – 17:00
JAZZ BAND, MAGICIANS, WARTIME
AIRCRAFT RECOVERY GROUP, VINTAGE VEHICLES, STEAM ENGINES, BARBECUE, REFRESHMENTS, STALLS, TOMBOLA, RAFFLE, COMPETITIONS & LOTS MORE!
All proceeds from the day will go to
“Hope House Children’s Respite Hospices”
The “Motor Neurone Disease Association”
& other local charities
Guest Appearance by local MP and President of the “Motor Neuron Disease Association”, Mr Lembit Opik
FOR FURTHER DETAILS PLEASE CALL:
01952 770428 (for event information before the day and for
mini ATIS on the day) OR 07768 333030 (MOBILE)
PPR would be appreciated but not essential
Airfield details are in Pooleys & AFE Flight Guides"
regards
HnH

Mariner9
27th Jun 2007, 11:43
Sherlowe's a lovely little strip; I was at the flyin there last year and had a good time.

Unfortunately can't make this years (Will be doing the Arran Islands flyout instead), but would certainly recommend it :ok: