PDA

View Full Version : Dead Laptop

paulc
12th Jun 2007, 13:11
A friend of mine has a HP laptop which has just expired and will not boot up at all. The power supply is still ok yet even with this in place - nothing. He has had problems with this before and reported them to the supplier (PC World) who were not very interested and failed to record the problem. Now that the laptop has failed and is 1 week over a year old they are totally uninterested in offering any help.

Any ideas / suggestions as to what the problem might be and does he have any comeback on PC World at all - afterall a new laptop should last longer that this one did.

frostbite
12th Jun 2007, 14:23
If you or your friend are competent to partially dismantle, I would say the first stage is to remove and reinsert all the plugs (including ribbon cable type) you can see.

paulc
12th Jun 2007, 14:54
Not sure if either of us would be that confident of doing that - yes I know it is already dead but it might be something that a competent computer person can do.

Saintsman
15th Jun 2007, 13:33
The fact that it is one week over the warranty period is immaterial, it should last a reasonable amount of time. Have a look at the Which web site as it may give some pointers. PC world will spout out rubbish in the hope that most people will believe it.

The Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002 apply. If PC world doesn't want to know, the Small Claims court will be worth considering.

paulc
15th Jun 2007, 14:37
Thanks for the reply - mate has already gotten it repaired and will send sending bill + defective part back to HP with a suitably strong letter.

Will point him in the direction of the Which website to see if it might help.

I agree a laptop should last a 'reasonable' time but is there a legal definition of what 'reasonable' actually is in terms of years / months. Legally 'reasonable' is a tricky one.

Lancelot37
15th Jun 2007, 16:59
You say "Thanks for the reply - mate has already gotten it repaired and will send sending bill + defective part back to HP with a suitably strong letter."

Your mate has no claim against HP. He did not buy the computer from them. His claim, in law, is against the company that he bought the computer from. Threaten them with a claim.

A Small Claims Court would throw out any claim against HP.