View Full Version : Addresses for ATC providers

pilotho
11th Jun 2007, 18:23
Currently in the NATS recruitment process but if i don'e get through I think I would need to find alternatives.

Do people have a list of addresses for ATC providers in the UK? At least that way I can contact them for a possible sponsorship or ATCA position.

Gonzo
11th Jun 2007, 18:34
Most non-NATS ATC units are self-contained organisations, rather than sub-divisions of a larger service provider. I'd imagine the best way forward would be to contact non-NATS airports in your vicinity.

niknak
11th Jun 2007, 23:33
Or even show that you have some initiative and do the "hard work" yourself via the internet, if you don't know how to find out names and addresses of UK airports, you won't get very far. :rolleyes:

"If I don't get through, I think I would need to find alternatives"

Well, I have corrected the spelling for you, but if you ask for an ATCO sponsorship OR an ATCA position, you probably wouldn't even get a reply.

I suggest you find out how regional airports train and supply their own ATC staff before applying and bear in mind that there are many people way ahead of you in terms of nouse, who apply every week for exactly the same thing.

SM4 Pirate
12th Jun 2007, 07:06
Typical personallity trait of an ATC I'd have thought.

pilotho
12th Jun 2007, 14:02
Why is it that on Pprune, whenever someone asks for advice or help, someone always answers with no help and just patronise?

I understand I should do research which, I have done. I am just asking for addresses on Pprune because there would be people who know and thus, wouldn't that be part of research? I understand that at non NATS airports, they usually recruit people for the position of ATCA first and decide on possible sponsorship after.

I thank Niknak for correcting my grammar and spelling. I will take more care next time but I would prefer help rather than patronising comments.

Defruiter
12th Jun 2007, 14:32
Why is it that on Pprune, whenever someone asks for advice or help, someone always answers with no help and just patronise?

Also wondered the same myself....

Gonzo
12th Jun 2007, 15:21
Pilotho,

I understand I should do research which, I have done.

I'm sorry if you thought I was being patronising.

Perhaps next time you might want to detail some of that research before you ask your question? This would probably help in two ways: Firstly, others would be more disposed to help you out having seen some evidence of your own efforts (i.e. not just coming here to seek your answers), and secondly it might help those of us who are more willing to help pitch an appropriate response. To me, your first post seemed as if you didn't really know much at all about how one might become an ATCO outside of NATS, so therefore I posted a basic pointer.

pilotho
12th Jun 2007, 15:25
It's ok, I have made my point and it's best the subject of patronising is left, as I know everyone here is only seeking help and giving help.

At the end of the day, I know of NATS, Eurocontrol and working as an ATCA at a non NATS airfield are the options available. Are there actually other options besides self funding of course.

From the post, I may have given off a negative approach to the position but I have done my research and I am passionate about aviation.

Gonzo
12th Jun 2007, 15:33
Nope, you've named all the main methods I'm afraid. The only other one is getting into military ATC.

anotherthing
12th Jun 2007, 16:01
pilotho,

As Gonzo just said, you could always try the military - either RAF or RN... the difference between the two with regards to recruitment is not great - they do joint Aptitude tests and joint ATC courses.

It's a good life when you are young and it can be quite exciting - as Civvy ATCOs although mentally stimulating, its a fairly sedentary job. In the Mil you can get the chance to run about with a gun and jump out of A/C to establish forward operatng bases etc etc.

However, the transition from Mil to Civ is not an easy one, though I understand this is being looked into. The two jobs are different, so there does need to be a fair bit of re-training when changing over, however at the moment, apart from a couple of ground school exams, there is no recognition when crossing over.

Asking for addresses on here is a fair enough way of getting info IMHO... we live in the computer based world now after all!

Don't think that people are having a go at you though - your first post was short and to the point (no bad thing), but there are so many people who post on here that want answers without putting in any effort, that it is hard not to be cynical, especially when the person after information has not given a brief outline of what they have done in the way of research already.

You will always be given good, if varying advice on this forum, never be afraid to ask, but be aware that sarcasm is a common trait amongst ATCOs!! Good luck

pilotho
12th Jun 2007, 16:55
I definetly do not think that people are having a go at me, it's just that I have read other posts regarding people asking for information and they had similar posting.

I fully understand the reason for the replies I have receieved and as a believer of learning from mistakes, I shall give more details in future.

I have found the addresses I was looking for.

As for the military, I don't feel I am the type of person that likes the military. I really don't know why but while I was in the Air Cadets, it didn't seem to appeal to me. Maybe it's the thought of possible battle.

tribekey
13th Jun 2007, 07:31
Pilotho, if you want to take the 'work as an assistant then get trained as an ATCO ' route, Bournemouth is as good a place as any to start.There's never any gaurantee of course and i'm guessing you'll have to relocate but if you want something enough......

chiglet
13th Jun 2007, 18:04
pilotho'
For ATC "providers", try www.ais.org.uk You have to log in, but it's free, and it lists every ATSU in the country.
watp,iktch