PDA

View Full Version : Isle of Man & Andreas

gcolyer
11th Jun 2007, 12:04
Well that is another TT over and done with.

I only managed to meet one PPruner during the week. Either the others did not turn up or I was busy flying.

On a bad note I am totaly shocked with the amount of pilots not using the radio! the standard excuse I got was

"it's air to air so there is no point"

Well here the points:

1) At one point in time there was 2 aircraft back tracking 2 aircraft taking off and 2 aircraft on short finals, and me holding short. Not one of the pilots were using their radios. I managed to collar the 2 back tracking and the 2 landing and use some pretty blue language at them

2) 4 times whilst in the flare aircraft lined up right in front of me causing me to hammer in the power bank rightand pray I am not to heavy to go around (keep in mind this is in the 7 seat PA32 fully loaded)

3) I missed the tail of a 172 by no more than 50 on short finals.

So on the that note

1) Use the radio!
2) Do overhead joins!
3) Keep a good lookout!
4) Use your brain!

Other than that a great week. I managed to clockup 40 hours in 7 days. With any luck I will get to meet more of you next year.

maxdrypower
11th Jun 2007, 12:12
Hey man , we were there wednesday , that nice shiny cessna 172 . Had a great day , used radio did overhead join payed donation chatted to katrina and left very happy with the days proceedings
I would go again lovely little airfield

gcolyer
11th Jun 2007, 19:35
Hey I was the guy that fuelled you up! and I have to say it was the shiniest new 172 I have seen. Shame you didn't get it instructor proofed to prevent that heavy landing we spoke about.

The airfield is planning a face lift. We are looking in to resurfacing the runways and taxi way. Then are we are going to try and get planning permission for hangars all along the grass area.

Mariner9
12th Jun 2007, 08:36
1) Use the radio!
2) Do overhead joins!
3) Keep a good lookout!
4) Use your brain!

Personally, I think your list is in the wrong order. I would prioritise as follows:

1) Use your brain!
2) Keep a good lookout!
3) Do overhead joins!
4) Use the radio!

Although to be fair you didn't say your list was in order of priority, I just read it that way.

But, in general, I feel that there is too much reliance on radio in the UK. Judging by the amount of "What backup radio should I carry" threads on here I presume I'll be in the minority :*

gcolyer
12th Jun 2007, 09:17
Mariner9,

As you mention my list was not order specific. I think your order is a little better.

Also to be added to the list is "courtesy" as in don't cut in front of aircraft because you think you have time or are faster.

As for to much reliance on the radio....I am not to sure on that one. In the states it is not so bad becaue there is so much open airspace. In the UK especially the Isle of Man there is not much space to fly about in. And there is far to many bell ends out there not using their eyes and brains.

maxdrypower
12th Jun 2007, 10:36
Aha you should have said , not too worry lovely little airfield and we enjoyed our stay , thanks again matey

S-Works
12th Jun 2007, 11:12
In the UK especially the Isle of Man there is not much space to fly about in. And there is far to many bell ends out there not using their eyes and brains.

And I asssume you fly without a single mistake 100% of the time?
:rolleyes:

gcolyer
12th Jun 2007, 11:39
And I asssume you fly without a single mistake 100% of the time?

List of mistakes I have made in order:

1) Being instucted to join right downwind and actualy joing left down wind on one of my student solo's

2) During a PFL I pulled the mixture back instead of the throttle

3) Called right base instead of left base at Durham

Touch wood that has been it so far.

I am not syaing I am a perfect pilot. What I am saying is..there is a lot of bell ends out there that are a liabilty and I seemed to have shared the sky with a lot of them last week. And yes I understand that no one is perfect.

S-Works
12th Jun 2007, 12:09
So in fact with your list of mistakes above you are also a bell end?

Or is referring to others in such a deragatory manner only your privelige?

Or maybe those other pilots should have worried that they were sharing the sky with such a "bell end"?

gcolyer
12th Jun 2007, 12:21
I guess from my mistakes I also fit the bell end category. Or at least did when those mistakes were made.

Or maybe those other pilots should have worried that they were sharing the sky with such a "bell end"?

I dont't think that those who I was so derogatory against had a view that they were sharing the sky with anyone. More a view of who are these people that dare fly in my sky.

I can't quiet place my finger on it but last week seemed to be a bad week for poor airmanship. maybe it seemed that way because I crammed so many hours in to a short space of time.

Dave Gittins
12th Jun 2007, 12:25
There must be a "Rule of PPRuNe", something like Murphy's law, that says a thread cannot exceed 10 posts without somebody giving or taking offence.

:*

gcolyer
12th Jun 2007, 12:30
The golden rule is don't dish out what you can't take back.

Knight Paladin
12th Jun 2007, 14:47
GC:

Don't take this the wrong way old boy, but I'd wager you've made a damn site more mistakes than that; we all have - what matters is that we learn from them.

Yes, I have seen things that it my opinion are fairly horrendous examples of 'airmanship', and...
Yes, I'd agree that being non-comms into a busy fly-in, when a suitable frequency is published and the aircraft suitably equipped, would definately qualify as such.

However, name-calling here, or the kind of angry chest-poking I've seen at certain puddlejumper establishments are NOT the best way to get someone to think about their flying in a reasonable manner, and therefore hardly likely to make them actually change their ways. Or is that not your aim here?

gcolyer
12th Jun 2007, 15:07
KP

You are probably right. I most likely have made more mistakes and have not picked up on them or been picked up on them.

As for name calling, it's not the brightests or most mature thing to do i must admit. But sometimes you just need to get it off your chest to make yourself feel better.

Knight Paladin
12th Jun 2007, 16:09
Fair one mate, we've all done it, not trying to get all holier-than-thou or anything!

maxdrypower
12th Jun 2007, 16:26
I think there are valid points all round here . Yes we do all make mistakes , christ I make loads , and learning from them is part of the whole experience and provided we do then all the better . However there can be no excuse for bad airmanship can there . (Hypothetically)On a flight test with an examiner If you flew into a non radio airfield that was operating safety com freq and there were other aircraft about and you just flew in in the manner detailed above , would you pass? I think we all know the answer to that. I would hope that all of us have good airmanship drummed into us during our training , I would like to think that it stays with us , Maybe it does maybe it doesnt . I flew into a grass strip not so long agp, joined downwind . Another craft called joining overhead at roughly the same time . Just as I was about to turn base this aircraft descended in front of me, luckily far enough away not to be a complete danger , but who taught this chap to do overhead joins in that manner or rather at what point did he forget ?
It happens yeh ,mudslinging isnt the answer but I think Gcolyers point was made , it doesnt matter if it wasnt in the right order or the tone in which he said it , it was a point and we should all just nod and say "yep absolutely" unless we have a valid point to contradict it and make it in them manner in which the original post was intended . The last thing we want to do on the private flying forum is start harping on about tone , spelling, grammar etc etc etc as you would find in some of the other forums , we all know what was being said and we should respect what a local pilot is asking , no matter what the tone . IMHO
But what do I know

tangovictor
12th Jun 2007, 16:48
I wonder if the "offenders" were local or vistors to the Island ?
I don't intend this to be rude in anyway, however some Island folk are
" in a bit of a time warp " ( try driving around the course )
It may well be, if locals, that non radio maybe the norm to them 11.5 months of the year

maxdrypower
12th Jun 2007, 17:16
another valid point

gcolyer
12th Jun 2007, 19:16
All but one of the offenders were vistors. And the one that was local was a 30,000 hour phantom pilot flying off of aircraft carriers. He was also the CFI of manx flyers for a while.

Anyway the out come was no harm done, all thought there were a few close calls. Everyone had fun especially me, even if I did work my nuts off for 11 days starting at 4am everyday!

Only one resident complained about the noise when i took off every morning at 5am. Funny none of the 268 camping on the airfiled complained.

S-Works
12th Jun 2007, 20:07
so were you air taxiing?

gcolyer
12th Jun 2007, 20:14
Not really. Took a few friends to Newtonards a brought them back. I take every TT off of work to fly.

stickandrudderman
12th Jun 2007, 21:55
I never mkae mistkaes!:}