PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for scenic flights - Calgary to Northern Alaska

rmdr2
8th Jun 2007, 18:32
Hi Guys

I am looking for recommendations for places to land between Calgary and Northern Alaska

Making a 10-12day cross country in July and have a blank piece of paper in front of me to plan my route. So - I am looking for:

Places to fly of outstanding natural beauty (and similarly, places to land)

Places to land with quirky attributes - like hotels/towns only accessible by air and, therefore, a little more interesting than the tourist trail town

Airfields near must see local attractions or must do events (like white water rafting/ midnight golf, etc)

Airfields where we can hike/ camp over night

Any top tips would be great

Plus - in the remoter northern parts of the trip, advice on places to refuel at a reasonable cost would be appreciated...

Many thanks in advance - rmdr2

fernytickles
8th Jun 2007, 21:11
We ferried a Maule from Palmer, AK to California last spring, so our recommendations were rather snow covered then, but websites we found really helpful included the Cirris Owners & Pilots Association - http://cirruspilots.org/public/alaska/index.htm. They have an annual fly-out through Canada to Alaska and on to Russia! Anyway, their website was full of really helpful info about weather and safer routes to take.

For myself, I really liked Whitehorse, Yukon. The hotel we stayed in had fantastic food, and the town looked like it would have been fun to explore, so went on my list of places to go back to when its not the coldest St Patricks night since records began.

I'd go back up that way in a heartbeat, with my aeroplane, my tent, my dog and my husband and spend weeks exploring all round the Northwest Territories and Alaska. Stunning scenery and wonderful wilderness.

Sorry I don't have more useful info to offer, but I hope you have a fantastic trip.

rigpiggy
9th Jun 2007, 01:05
calgary-fort st john-muncho lake lodge hitchhike to liard hotsprings from there. next day stop in watson for lunch once again will probably have to hitch a ride to town as it's about 5-8 k from town. onto whitehorse lot's of B+B's to chose from, a number of trails to walk and go to some of the touristy stuff too. high country in has a salmon bbq. Fly to dawson next stay overnight go to the dome and watch the sun rotate around u, always interesting to come out of the bar at 2am and play around of golf. fly the dempster to inuvik, tuktoyaktuk, aklavik, lots of cool stuff and if in season you can watch the whales in the river mouth in tuk. back thru Norman wells yellowknife peace river edmonton, most rental companies will not insure you if you go into alaska unless you have lot's of time there, however a stop in haines or skagway out of yxy will do. Buy the CFSupplement, buy a GPS over here if you don't have one quite a bit cheaper I understand. get all the WAC and VNC's study your route and buy a brand new 5 gallon jerrycan it can make the difference also study the rules wrt survival equipment required in unsettled area, you maybe able to rent one from your a/c charter co. PM if you need any help