PDA

View Full Version : PPL Exams

G-BAYO
8th Jun 2007, 10:55
Hey everyone. Im new to this forum but was just wondering if there are any tips or advise for starting the PPL exams. I have currently been studying Air Law and Meterology and should be taking the exam very soon so i can then go solo:)

I was just wondering if theres any advise you can give to me about it all.

Many Thanks

PompeyPaul
8th Jun 2007, 11:29
Here's just some pointers. I'll be torn down as some kind of anti-christ for my views, but they are just what I found. I'm coming to the end of my exams now so I've just gone through what you've been through.

1. Air Law

Do this first. I think that this is possibly the hardest exam to do. Just because everything is brand new, and you've never seen it before (or I hadn't). Learning the differences between height, altitude, level, aal, amsl, agl, transition layers is all a bit of a mind bender.

There's nothing else for it, but to just plough through it all.

2. Navigation

Next in line. I don't think you'll learn this from a book. You can do, but it will take for ever. You are going to need somebody to show you how to use the whizz wheel. You'll also need to practice every day. Unlike Law it's more of a pain to revise for because it takes so much longer to take each exam. Law is all multiple choice and you can just practice, practice, practice. Navigation requires significant calculations and so time is at a premium in this one.

Should be easier since some of the old concepts from law come up again and again. Invariably QNH, QFE, Transition layers etc will be asked about again.

3. Met

Like law, and again tricky because it's all new. I also found it dry and it's problematic because it's NOT a science at all. There seem to be fewer right and wrong answers. I also found it quite dull, but that was jsut me.

4. Radio Written

If you take this with some flight time (say 25+ hours) then it should be much easier. You will have heard or seen most of it before, you will have experienced most of it and so this is maybe the easiest one to do.

It's also on the way to Radio practical, if you are preparing for that, the written is MUCH simpler.

5. Radio Practical

You will need tuition for this, you can't learn it from a book. It's a toughie and it's practice, practice, practice with an instructor.

6. Flight planning
7. Human performance etc

Have yet to study these

Use www.airquiz.com (http://www.airquiz.com) to practice your exams. Ask questions on here, but be aware these are not the most friendly forums on the internet and you just have to put up with being lampooned by some of the residents for asking newbie questions. Rest assured not everyone is like that though, so you should get some good replies.

Good luck. Taking the PPL exams is a significant commitment, but the feeling of accomplishment on each pass is a great feeling!

BackPacker
8th Jun 2007, 12:26
Get the PPL Confuser or PPL Questions and Answers simplifyer and use it to practice your exams.

If you don't know an answer, it is either the longest answer, with the most legalese, or answer c.

maxdrypower
8th Jun 2007, 14:32
PompeyP has it about right I would say air law then nav definately you cant solo without air law and you cant qual xcountry without nav . The PPL confuser is the best bit of kit going every question on every exam I took was in the confuser in one guise or another. Airquiz was useful but it depends what you want . A lot of the stuff in airquiz isnt in the exam but it does test your thorough knowledge because your not just learning the answers that you need , just depends what you wanna do .Read the books and use the confuser it worked for me , I am a bumbling incompetent but I managed to pass the exams ,
Good luck and enjoy

Sierra_Golf
8th Jun 2007, 17:27
BackPacker, you´re absolutely right on the longest answer with the most legalese on Air Law :).

I also recommend the PPL confuser. Not only can you practice tests, but it has very helpfull explanations on all answers, wich you can use to learn from.

Good luck, G-BAYO (wich won´t come without hard work).

CAT3C AUTOLAND
8th Jun 2007, 17:35
Also make a note of the school policy with exams. It some flying order books it dictates you have to do certain exams before you go solo in the circuit and solo Nav. From your post perhaps you are aware of this?

Enjoy the PPL course, its great fun.

davidatter708
8th Jun 2007, 22:06
I would say do nav after xcountry when ur instrutor has taught you how to do it and you have had practise at it. All ill say is when you do it look at the aircrafts speed on the sheet not assume it is 90kts a c152 i failed cause of it im a plonka dont read
David

G-BAYO
16th Jun 2007, 21:07
Many Thanks for all of your views on the topic. It is muchly appreciated. I am really into the course itself as i was flying a year before so i have almost 25 hours logged and havnt gone solo yet so its all good. The exam is just around the corner now and im feeling very confident with it.

Again thanks for all you comments, muchly appriciated.

G-BAYO

Rabbs
17th Jun 2007, 16:10
Also try to plot your exams so you don't end up having to wait to do your skills test due to not completing all the exams towards the end.

I tried to complete 1 exam every 3 - 5 weeks, if you fail one (many people including me failed air law first go) you will have time to re-study.

I have known a couple of people ready for their skills test but not completed all the exams.. Get them out of the way - you can then work on the fun bit - the flying :)