PDA

View Full Version : No Applied Instrument Restriction / IRI

hooligan88b
6th Jun 2007, 14:57
Just a bit puzzled by Lasors, perhaps someone can help?

If you have the 'No Applied Instrument' restriction removed (as I have) and then do a multi-engine instructor course, can you teach IR students in multi-engine?

Or do have to become an IRI? Lasors H1.2 says you can teach for IR issue, with simply the removal of the restriction, if so what's the difference in being an IRI?

S-Works
6th Jun 2007, 16:34
As I understand it to teach IR you must be an IRI. To teach IMC you have to have the no instrument instruction removed.

But thats just my interpretation from doing my IRI.

hugh flung_dung
6th Jun 2007, 17:46
LASORS H1.2 says "The privileges of the holder of a FI(A) rating ... are to conduct flight instruction for: ... the issue of an IR(A) provided that the instructor has met the requirements as detailed in Section H1.4 - Removal of No Applied Instrument Restriction;"
H1.4 says: "Have flown at least 200 hours flight time in accordance with IFR ... Where pilots wish solely to instruct for the IMC Rating a reduced experience level of 10 hours flight time by sole reference to instruments is applicable ... "

... so if you are an FI with the "no applied ..." removed and with the relevant experience you can teach for the IR. An IRI is only relevant if you don't have an FI rating (see H2).

HFD

hooligan88b
7th Jun 2007, 08:27
Thanks, HFD, that's how I interpret it, I'm just looking for clarification.

Dr Eckener
12th Jun 2007, 08:50
As I understand it to teach IR you must be an IRI. To teach IMC you have to have the no instrument instruction removed.

Your interpretation is wrong I'm afraid. As HFD says, an IRI is only relevant if you do not hold an FI rating. To teach IMC and IR you need an FI rating, with no applied intrument restriction removed, plus relevant hours, OR an IRI rating, again with relevant hours.

jamestkirk
12th Jun 2007, 10:41
As an FI you can teach basic IMC but not approaches etc.

So you can do the first c.10 hours.

S-Works
12th Jun 2007, 12:14
Are you sure? I am pretty sure to teach IMC you have to have the no Instrument Instruction removed which then means you can teach the whole thing anyway.

TurboJ
12th Jun 2007, 12:44
As an FI you can teach basic IMC but not approaches etc.

So you can do the first c.10 hours.

Think you will find that LASORS states:

Instruction on the IMC course may only be given by instructors with ratings unrestricted with regard to instrument flying restrictions

However, as a restricted FI you can teach basic IF for the PPL but not allowed to teach IMC ratings.

S-Works
12th Jun 2007, 14:21
Thats the way I understood it as well.

If people are being taught by unqualified Instructors it would give great credance to the view in the towers about the poor quality of the standard of a lot of IMC training and why JAA won't give credit towards the IR from the IMC.

jamestkirk
12th Jun 2007, 15:02
I will double check it just in case i was being fed a line.

TurboJ
12th Jun 2007, 18:16
JamesT
I will double check it just in case i was being fed a line.
I think you should; one of many you have been fed !! :ok::ok: :sad: :cool:

I was always led to believe the IF restriction was to prevent people teaching in IMC etc...but the basic full panel and radio aids can be taught by any FI in VMC.

jamestkirk
15th Jun 2007, 11:35
Ooh!, Well I never.

I have never been more insulted since the last time you posted.