PDA

View Full Version : Landing Sites near Littlehampton

Stretchwell
4th Jun 2007, 21:07
I am planning to go to Littlehampton in a few weeks and wondered if there is any alternative to Goodwood - I've ruled out Shoreham already.

Thanks.

Mike Cross
4th Jun 2007, 21:27
The information that I have Ford in my logbook is about as much use to you as a chocolate teapot nowadays.:E

BRL
5th Jun 2007, 11:40
Is the LEC one still open?

Mike Cross
5th Jun 2007, 11:53
Fell into disuse some years ago IIRC

Lec Refrigeration airstrip which has long since discontinued to be used. Photo taken Oct. 2005

Further information on the existence of this airstrip wail be added to the site in the coming months. There is a complete chapter in the book about Lec and their numerous aircraft. New page added to articles concerned the Ice House and Lec
on this page
http://www.bognor-local-history.co.uk/article29.html

If you go to www.multimap.com and put PO22 9NQ in the search you can see it on the aerial photo. I've not been there at all

poor southerner
5th Jun 2007, 18:07
ref Bongor LEC site

The 'old man' of the controlling family died a while ago ( his son and heir was lost in a pitts accident a good while ago) the company was sold to a foreighn concern and then to Dimplex. They simply shut it down and from what I know (I bought some machinery) have rented out the all or part of the works for an inverstment income and sold all remaining land for more that they bought everthing for in the first place.
So I expect another little piece of our aviation world is destined to become industry or housing. :(

norilsk
5th Jun 2007, 18:47
There is a one way in one way out strip on the side of the downs near Findon but it is really only for cub types. Or you might speak nicely to Southdown gliding club at Parham and see if you can fly in there. They are normally accommodating if you have a good gliding connection.

Malcolm G O Payne
5th Jun 2007, 21:53
I have only just caught up with this item. I was Lec's pilot from Nov 1972 to Nov 1973, when we operated an Aztec and a Reims Rocket. If I can help to fill in any gaps from that period I will be peased to help.

Stretchwell
6th Jun 2007, 20:14
Thanks for the Southdown Gliding Club idea - any contact details?

Any other ideas?

Mike Cross
6th Jun 2007, 20:26
As you're too idle to Google here you are. (http://spider10.brinkster.net/phdemo/php-files/news.php)

LysanderV8
7th Jun 2007, 06:44
Shoreham is closer than Goodwood, with a lower landing fee and a hard runway. I'm intrigued to know why you have ruled it out.

Ace Rimmer
7th Jun 2007, 13:16
Ditto what Lysander said...

Ref the Lec stirp: I seem to recall that the scion of the family had also been something of a motor racer and survived a really bad prang in a Formula 3 car - got really smashed up and was in the Guiness Book of Records for a time having withstood an enourmous about of G in the crash and lived...

Now to the strip itself couple of times a year I play golf at Bognor which is just over the rythe from the strip and couple of holes run alongside it - from that range 50-60 yards the fabric of the surface still looks reasonably good although the wind socks are long gone as is the hangar...

Stretchwell
13th Jun 2007, 14:18
Goodwood is easier to get to for me both from the flying and getting a lift point of view.

Thanks everyone for your ideas.