PDA

View Full Version : Clarification on IR 'RENEWAL' in a sim

jamestkirk
4th Jun 2007, 17:52
I put a post on pprune a few weeks back about trying to renew your MEIR on a sim.

Being out of date seemed to have some conflicting theories on the forum and some FTE's.

I spoke to the CAA who looked up on FCL 1 for me and told me that:
'At the moment you can renew an out of date IR (< 5 years) on a simulator. But that will change shortly'.

I had a hard time trying to find out for sure. I spoke to six different people and got a 50/50 opinion.

Obviously, if anyone that is in my position needs to make absolutely sure.

I just wanted to post this just so that it may help someone who have a lapsed IR and wanted to get some clarification.

18greens
4th Jun 2007, 18:05
I don't think it has changed. Its sim or scaryplane at the moment.

They wanted to change it to be sim only every other year but I understand that is still not the case. Talk to any examiner. They have to sign the books so they know the rules. Anyway its much more fun in the plane and if you want to keep the muti current probably cheaper. (I think I did 50 mins for my last IRR with multi rating and only one exam fee).

BillieBob
4th Jun 2007, 22:19
Amendment 1/2007 to CAP 393 has just been issued (last week) and the ANO now, among other things, defines all references to JAR-FCL 1 as being to Amendment 5 of that document. It is Amendment 5 that introduced the requirement for all renewals of IR(A)s to be done on the aeroplane as well as every other revalidation. Therefore the CAA man's comment that "it will change shortly" was correct - it has!

covec
4th Jun 2007, 23:05
My JAR SPA MEIR(!) lapsed in March. I revalidated it in the Sim last year.

I take it that I can now only revalidate it in the aircraft (my MEPL has lapsed too)?:{

Can I still wait 7 years between revalidation and thus prevent my UK ATPL credits lapsing?

Still fighting the Blair/Bush wars and so do not get home much...was their an Impact Assessment of this change?

18greens
5th Jun 2007, 06:14
Covec, you may get away with one more sim renewal from the new rule becoming valid.

The only other thing to mention is you can lapse by 7 years to keep the ATPL credits but after 5 years you need to retest with a CAA examiner (deep joy).

covec
5th Jun 2007, 15:35
18GREENS

Thanks for the information. Gets expensive and hard to justify further expense when it is increasingly likely that a full Service career to age 55 vice seeking a civilian flying career is my "life's path". [The new military pension is just too good but you gotta do the time - not unexpectedly!]

Whopity
5th Jun 2007, 21:44
Revalidate means that it has NOT expired, you can do alternate revalidations in a FNPTII or Fligh Simulator.

If it has lapsed, its a Renewal and you cannot do a Renewal in a FNPTII or a Flight Sim only an aeroplane.

The Rule changed with the latest amendment to the ANO which implemented AL5 to JAR-FCL1.246 on 30 March 2007.

18greens
6th Jun 2007, 05:59
Whopity,

I was looking for the document on the CAA website that defines this new rule. Is there a white paper associated with it?

jamestkirk
12th Jun 2007, 15:06
My thoughts exactly on the 30th March thing, which I explained the the nice lady at the CAA.

But with that ANO amendment being explained by me to the lady at the CAA. She still said that I could renew in a sim.

Bloody confusing!

flybyshark
19th Aug 2007, 16:06
Is the renewal in the plane done exactly the same as the inital flight test?

Whopity
21st Aug 2007, 10:41
Pretty much but less nerve racking, and cheaper but then its no different in a Sim.