PDA

View Full Version : BA engine failure 3rd June at 27L LHR

ALLDAYDELI
3rd Jun 2007, 21:46
All,
Well done to the crew handling the BA662 this morning from 27L around
0845z. Just after take off an unusual huge vibration was heard as aircraft climbed away adjacent to cargo village.

It looked like a B777 but I know the 662 is normally B767 operated.

The rate of climb did look worrying but altitude hold around 2,000ft was maintained and PAN declared.

Aircraft was back on 27R within 10mins.

Well done!

BAEGJJ
4th Jun 2007, 13:31
The aircraft was WB - a 767.

The pax were transferred to another 767 - WX, which was then hit by a vehicle on the ramp. Finally departed some 7 and a bit hours later.

Say again s l o w l y
4th Jun 2007, 16:26
There really are some days when it's better to stay in bed!

MrBernoulli
4th Jun 2007, 17:58
A suggestion ......

When you title a thread with something that includes "this morning" or 'today' or 'yesterday', then adding the actual date of the event would, at a glance, establish it's relevance.

spoilers yellow
4th Jun 2007, 19:01
Was an engine overheat and shutdown

Fargoo
4th Jun 2007, 19:20
'tis back in service :ok: Replacement engine fitted.
Good effort by the crew too :ok:

davef
4th Jun 2007, 21:10
Was that the flight to Cyprus? If so my sister was on that and said it was handled very professionally. Spending all day @ Heathrow was a bit of a drag though :)

Out of interest - how often do such events occur? I assume for a pilot it's a fairly infrequent event - but given the volume of traffic thorugh a major airport like Heathrow I guess it's not that infrequent that there is a problem with engine etc requiring a return? Are there any stats on the web on this sort of thing?

Dave

(1st post, but occasional lurker)

NigelOnDraft
4th Jun 2007, 21:41
df - yes, Sunday's early LHR-LCA flight.
How often? I am a BA Capt, and I think they say the average pilot might get one engine failure in their career... I am sure there will be some who have had quite a few, and many none. However, twice a year we are in the simulator, and they fail every time!
There was also a YAT 737 back into LHR engine fail earlier this week... so for the airport maybe a bit more often?
Catering (or other) truck hit aircraft... fairly often!
For your sister... yes a drag. But even by BA's "Heathrow woes" she still got to LCA. It took the original 767 problem, a 2nd 767 then brought into service, then knackered in less dramatic circs. BA still got her to LCA ~7hrs late... meanwhile the rest of the operation "adapted" - for instance a Stockholm 767 became a 757, and I later took a T4 A321 to ARN rather than an A320 to pick up the leftovers of that. There's much criticism of BA here, but even I was reasonably impressed with how Sunday's "issues" were coped with ;)

helen-damnation
4th Jun 2007, 21:45
NOD

Not bad at all.
Keep it up, the share price will rise and you'll be ripe for a take over ;):}

H-D :ok:

Sorry for the thread creep.

Capn Bloggs
4th Jun 2007, 23:07
the share price will rise and you'll be ripe for a take over
Please explain? Creep Creep...

LHR_777
4th Jun 2007, 23:12
...that'll be sunday's BA662 to LCA, that I CLC'd over in Load Control. It was heavy too, with a full pallet config in the forward hold and full AKE's in the rear. Still, impressive single-engine performance, assuming a shut-down and return on one engine?

Taildragger67
5th Jun 2007, 05:50
NOD,

I'm still amazed at how Big Airways got everything sorted after that little put-down in Russia last year (or was it '05?)! :ok:

And as for once-per-career - spare a thought for the QF 744 driver, on his last trip, has one departing KLAX. Thought he'd got through and bang! (quite literally!) :eek:

littlebritainredcap
5th Jun 2007, 10:14
Here is some interesting trivia for you regarding the weight of the aircraft, it was well over its landing weight when it returned back to LHR

TOW 146300 (max 158000)
landing weight should have been in LCA 125700 (max 136000)

however as the plane had only been in the air about 20 mins it is fair to say the landing weight back to LHR was nearly the same as the original take off weight so say about 143000 os well over max landing weight of 136000

Very interesting and well landed!

fantaman
5th Jun 2007, 10:22
NigelOnDraft said
meanwhile the rest of the operation "adapted" - for instance a Stockholm 767 became a 757, and I later took a T4 A321 to ARN rather than an A320 to pick up the leftovers of that. There's much criticism of BA here, but even I was reasonably impressed with how Sunday's "issues" were coped with

Just wondering, who at BA or LHR does this job? Is there a dedicated team who deal with this sort of problem, ie, re-tasking aircraft, calling out the duty crews etc? :ok:

Staller
5th Jun 2007, 17:26
They flew directly over head my home in Cheam Surrey. I heard it before I saw it, I knew something was amiss by the sound then I saw how low he was, then I realized how slow he was, I estimated 1500-2000 feet poss 160 kts, I watched him heading approx 360 then a left turn probably to intercept the localizer overhead the city (Waterloo/London Bridge?) for 27. My first thought was he had been bound for Biggin Hill airshow.

It was controlled (obviously), but alarming, the sound just wasnt that syncronized (single engine op) and I was pleased to read all ended safely, another job well done to Professionalism.:D

NigelOnDraft
5th Jun 2007, 17:43
What's all this "he" stuff ;)

Staller
5th Jun 2007, 17:59
Sincere apologises for stereotypical typographical misdemeanors.:O

The crew whos gender is of no relevance appear to have followed text book procedures in what has to be one of the most demanding "real life" flying scenarios.:D Nice one!

ALLDAYDELI
5th Jun 2007, 19:04
Thanks all, it was the vibration & ununual noise that turned my head.
Yes, there was a he and a she upfront! Well done again.

SET 18
5th Jun 2007, 19:11
Littlebritainredcap, I do not know for the 767 specifically, but in many cases the max landing weight is the max PLANNED landing weight. They obviously planned to land well-below this weight, (at LCA) and so there were no flaws to report here either.

Most aircraft can happily (well, safely) land at their max t/o weight.

Preppy
5th Jun 2007, 21:34
NOD,

OK, I will take a wild guess -- I don't suppose it was Mrs NOD in the LHS?

Second guess -- any idea whether it was a bird strike or just another RR 524H blade failure? :)

NigelOnDraft
5th Jun 2007, 21:48
No... and no idea ;)

blackwidow
5th Jun 2007, 22:26
Fantaman - Just wondering, who at BA or LHR does this job? Is there a dedicated team who deal with this sort of problem, ie, re-tasking aircraft, calling out the duty crews etc?

BA782/783 was upgraded from A320 to A321 to provide extra capacity for the offloaded pax from downgraded BA780/781 to B757... Not ideal for 780/781 pax, but everyone got home at the end of the day..

Crew did a usual professional clean up / recovery of BA662...(heard on VHF)

Pax loads was the major feature of the day (being a sunday afternoon), hence ARN downgrade!... :}

BWBriscoe
6th Jun 2007, 07:59
Been a while since I've been at BA...so have flight ops now moved to Waterside?

Are they not all due to move into terminal 5 when it opens?

overstress
17th Jun 2007, 21:38
Briscoe: Yep and nope. Compass centre now has wide open spaces...

BWBriscoe
19th Jun 2007, 13:50
Is that all of flight operations has moved?

I thought the orginal odea was to move them into some part of terminal 5?

BWBriscoe
19th Jun 2007, 13:52
Is that all of flight operations has moved?
I thought the orginal odea was to move them into some part of terminal 5?