PDA

View Full Version : Netjets at Cranfield

we_never_change
3rd Jun 2007, 21:07
I heard a whisper whilst at work today that Netjets are looking at moving some operations from Luton to Cranfield, any truth in this or a load of tosh?

WNC

74Freight
3rd Jun 2007, 23:20
Not quite sure what you mean by moving operations?, netjets go where the customers want, so if they want to fly to cranfield, then netjets would fly them there. Maybe you could explain more?

themoonsaballoon
4th Jun 2007, 10:55
I believe they are interested in Cranfield as a Maintenance base for Netjets Technical Services as the facility at Northolt is too small now,
TMAB

Fried_Chicken
5th Jun 2007, 19:08
I presume if they did move to Cranfield they'd retain the hangar at Northolt so they can still be classed as "based" & thus, retain the privellages that go with it

FC

themoonsaballoon
5th Jun 2007, 19:17
Those precious slots are the Prize! TMAB

spannerbearer
7th Jun 2007, 08:12
anyone seen Flight? looks like the clocks ticking

Callsign Kilo
7th Jun 2007, 19:35
Does this mean Cranfield would need to narrow down the amount of Instrument Training traffic it attracts? Cabair, Bonus, Wycombe and Oxford are all heavy users of the airfield. It is also an CAA IR test centre. With Netjets operating in and out regularly it all could get a bit hectic; especially as i ATC can only operate with procedural control.

hollingworthp
7th Jun 2007, 21:45
FYI - Oxford's ILS should be finished soon - http://www.oxfordairport.co.uk/pilotsguide/runway_ils_update.htm

Fried_Chicken
7th Jun 2007, 22:20
Surely if NJE did move some op's to Cranfield, it wouldn't produce that many movements?

I assume its only light maintenance they carry out at Northolt?

Fried Chicken

buzzc152
8th Jun 2007, 08:16
I operate out of Cranfield. I have heard from several different sources that a well know biz jet operate has agreed to buy/rent the biggest of the hangars from the new jet park that is due to start construction on the northwest side of the airfield. Could well be netjets....

angelorange
12th Jun 2007, 18:55
EGTC would have to up the ICAO fire protection category! Currently fine for training but not ideal for larger biz jets.

falconbis
12th Jun 2007, 20:08
was about time, a maintenance center in a such restricted and unfriendly place like northolt, only netjets can have such a great idea...

themoonsaballoon
13th Jun 2007, 14:34
your missing the point, the hangar is the gateway to the valuable slots into Northolt, they could look after Airfix kits and it would still be worthwhile! TMAB

Flintstone
13th Jun 2007, 16:45
It's all part of that beeg peecture falconbis :O

mrmagooo
14th Jun 2007, 21:59
Fire cover wouldn't need updating I dont believe, currently it can cover upto a 146 operating from there

angelorange
15th Jun 2007, 09:32
"it can cover up to a 146 operating from there"
True the FAAM 146 does occaisionally fly but lots of notice given to enable Fire Cat to be raised.

CL300
15th Jun 2007, 09:36
If a maintenance based is set up at Cranfield, the aircrafts will fly in on ferry, struggling to carry all the mel items, or even on a ferry permit with NO pax. Most probably on GA rules on top of it...Fire category in this situation is the most minimal of all...

Jaydee27
15th Jun 2007, 10:28
I think you might me mistaking Cranfield with another airfield in the East of England beginning with C... ;)

mrmagooo
15th Jun 2007, 10:33
Cranfield provide fire cover for the 146, Monday to Friday 0830 until 1900 local. Only if they wish to operate outside these hours is more notice required.

themoonsaballoon
15th Jun 2007, 11:08
I think you might me mistaking Cranfield with another airfield in the East of England beginning with C...

Ummmm, I think ill take a 'punt' on this one! TMAB

we_never_change
30th Jun 2007, 15:23
Cheers Guys. I guess that as Luton gets busier with scheduled passenger traffic, some aspects of the GA community may get pushed out so Cranfield (& Oxford) may be suitable alternatives depending on where the clients need to go.

WNC

brabazon
24th Jul 2007, 13:15
Any update on this?

Netjetnut
20th Sep 2010, 18:36
Old thread but new news....perhaps. Heard that Netjets have finally done the deal with Cranfield Airport. I guess it's a similar scenario to that they have at Eglesbach - securing a long term base for guaranteed access to London on their terms.

Anyone know what, when, how, who? If the capabilities and infrastructure are beefed up there, I can see a gradual migration from Luton, will give Harrods, Signature and Ocean Sky something to be worried about.

Gulfstreamaviator
20th Sep 2010, 19:00
This is I think good news for the FBO and operators based in Luton.

NJE are a demanding and budget cutting client, and they take up a lot of ramp space.

To relocate NJE to Cranfield will be viewed mostly as good news.

However what will the clients want, the drive to London, can be an extra hour.

So will the NJE cleints then be dropped in LTN and the aircraft repostioned to Cranfield to await the next client.

A lot of crews rotate out / in from Luton, and the on cost of this move will impinge on the rotation.

In tle short term the handling agent that has the NJE contract will suffer, but very soon regain more profitable clients.

Glf

JetPark
21st Sep 2010, 10:32
NetJetNut, nothing could be further from the truth - but then you are new here! NJE only use Harrods at LTN and very rarely the other two FBO competitors. The post above in response is 100% correct - it may cause rejoice - they are hard work - good customer but hard work! I have noted a slow down in arrivals at LTN over the past 18 months as a regular there so not sure congestion remains the problem it was in the past.

pabely
21st Sep 2010, 11:42
I too think in the medium term this will be good for Harrods. More profitable customers can be handled.
How many times on a Sunday when other VVIP airports have major restrictions is Luton once again maxed out. Only last week when I departed there were 5 BJs behind us at the Alpha hold. Sig were very busy and OS had a full south apron.

The M1 is a good road once again up to J10 and is not J10 to J13 a major bottleneck now?

Perhaps Luton will be more of a splash & go and cranfield will service other London airports as well, Cambridge loosing out on storage. Can't see much of the pond Netjet traffic moving though, operational hours are worse than FAB.