PDA

View Full Version : A320 Parking Brake / hot brakes

Speedbird744
3rd Jun 2007, 14:06
I have always had mixed opinion on this during my training.
Firstly I hear pilots state in their briefing, they come to a halt on the runway and select the parking brake ON. Is this sensible? Surely if its a high speed abort you will get a HOT BRAKES Ecam.

And secondly, if you reject the takeoff, get a HOT BRAKES Ecam and have to evacuate. The On GND evacuation checklist calls for the parking brake to be ON. Do you set it anyway even if one of the brakes could be up in flames.

Lastly can anyone confirm whether this is myth or not, its not recommended to use the parking brake on the runway in all circumstances?

thanks

airseb
3rd Jun 2007, 17:28
well the first item on our evacuation c/l is park brk on. even if it's burning. whatever's happening i'd really prefer an aircraft not moving forward or backward when i don't want it to.

the thing about the hot brakes ecam warning is that you get it when at least one wheel is at more then 300° temp. which happens in one in two heavy landings. the fuses are supposed (not really sure though) to hold up to 600°. so the ecam warning won't be very relevant.

not sure if i've answered you so have a nice one.

seb