PDA

View Full Version : Hiring & Flying in Europe

CitationJet
2nd Jun 2007, 14:08
Hello All,

I will be visiting England and Europe later this month and am interested in hiring a light aircraft and flying across the continent.

I would like to visit Austria, Germany, Czech Republic and Hungary.

Something like a C172 or PA28.

Is it possible or practical to hire an aircraft and fly day VFR across Europe, or is it all going to be too hard?

I am currently based in Australia and have a CPL and multi-engine instrument rating. I own a C172 and share a C182 and PA28 with partners.

Any advice you can give me on the practicalities of this adventure would be much appreciated.

CJ

172driver
2nd Jun 2007, 14:21
CJ it is most certainly possible to fly day-VFR across Europe. The tricky part is where to get the a/c from. As you say you'd like to visit Austria, Germany Czech and Hungary, renting ex-UK is probably not your best option (plus probably the most expensive one). I'd suggest you check out rentals ex Austria or Germany. What you will need is a JAA ticket or a cert of recognition, although I don't know how this works wrt an Oz CPL (I assume that's what you have).

Also bear in mind that a lot of flying on the continent is club-based, i.e. you need to be a club member to be insured and legal to fly the a/c. Some clubs will do a short-term membership, but check in advance.

Happy flying :ok:

IO540
2nd Jun 2007, 22:39
Depends on where you are going to hire from.

If you want to hire in say the UK and then take the plane away for a few weeks, that's usually uneconomic because most schools/clubs will require a minimum daily billing, and that makes any realistic kind of flying holiday impossible. This is a big driver behind sole ownership - even being in a group (a syndicate) usually prevents going away for a long while.

If however you want to hire in each country you are in, and fly around, that is possible OK. You just need a JAA PPL.

VFR flight is generally easy in Europe; more in some places than others.

CJ I was going to send you a PM with some more info but your profile does not allow them.