PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair baggage policy?

WorkingHard
1st Jun 2007, 11:47
I have tried to call Ryan Air but have not been able to speak to anyone (phone justs cuts off after a while). The question is simple really. I and 2 colleagues (another pilot + engineer) are going to Hamburg to recover an aircraft and need to take some tools, we know what we need and it will be fine as hand baggage.
Q1) What will likely happen at "security"
q2) Will Ryan Air allow these items on board (just spanners, screwdrivers test kit etc)

Thanks in advance

Mark 1
1st Jun 2007, 12:09
I called Ryan Air when I wanted to go to Sweden to ferry a single engined aircraft back to the UK via the North Sea, so I wanted to take a raft and lifejacket.

The girl on the phone told me it would be OK (didn't get it in writing!).
When I got to Stansted, they wouldn't let the stuff through. They did offer to dispose of it for me! I ended up leaving the dinghy and lifejacket cylinder in left luggage and cost me about £20 plus an extra round trip to Stansted to retrieve it.
I also had to route back over land via Dover, not wanting to cross the North Sea in winter with just a cylinder-less jacket.

So, based on my experience, don't hold your hopes up.

Its probably better to mail the stuff over in advance, or take it as hold baggage.

I also recently tried to go through airport security with a fuel sampler with a screwdriver bit in my bag. I only got that through by airport staff delivering it to the airside in a sealed bag.

Don't hold your hopes up.

WorkingHard
1st Jun 2007, 12:13
I have just spoken to "security" at stansted about this and all I can say is you guys and gals that do this every day deserve a medal. they neither know nor care about what they are doing to people. they appear to be automated morons reading from a script.

Cyrano
1st Jun 2007, 12:16
It's not the airline that determines what will get through security, it's airport security/DfT. So even if you had been able to get through to Ryanair, I don't think any reassurance they might have given you would be worth anything - they're not the ones operating the security checks.

Plan to put your tools in checked baggage...!