View Full Version : Go Arounds

brethren
31st May 2007, 22:33
Hi,
A quick question regarding Go Arounds in UK TMA's.:confused:

I've recently joined a non UK operator who insist that in the go around we should only accelerate to 185 knots. Is this true? I previously flew with a UK operator for several years and this point was never mentioned.

Any light you could shine would be greatly appreciated!:ok:

Monkey Madness
31st May 2007, 23:28
I am not aware of any speed restrictions except the usual "not above 250kts" rule that applies inside the TMA.

For our airfield, in the event of a Go Around, we usually do not impose any restrictions.... it's up to you.

Not sure if LHR is different??

Lock n' Load
1st Jun 2007, 04:27
I've never heard of (or applied) a specific go-around speed limit, though I would say that it makes sense not to speed up too much.
Most of us understand that you want to clean up the aircraft as much as possible, but usually after a go-around we want to fit you back in the sequence as soon as possible, partly because it seems fairer than sticking you at the back of the queue and partly because we'd rather you just had a go-around rather than a go-around followed by a fuel state emergency! Going beyond your minimum clean speed means you're likely to be assigned a lower speed pretty quickly...
I can't speak for everyone, but most controllers I know add a bit of extra space when putting an aircraft back in the sequence following a go-around, because we figure once is enough! That can mean that you're likely to be number 3 or 4 once you're heading back downwind, so ALWAYS let us know if a go-around has put you close to minimum fuel.
If the reason for the go-around was an emergency that you wanted to sort out while still in the air (a gear problem springing to mind), all bets are off and we'll part the Red Sea for you - but only if you say MAYDAY!

On a slightly connected note of keeping ATC informed, a couple of weeks ago a crew waited for 5 or 6 minutes after departure to warn of a large bit of FOD on the runway. It turned out to be metal, heavy and about 4 feet long! There had been another departure and an arrival by the time they told us. Please tell us this stuff soonest!!!

uncle dickie
1st Jun 2007, 08:02
Might this relate to the category C / D aircraft?
Although this relates to SIDs and approach charts, perhaps their thoughts relate to the radius of turn v. IAS and staying within the "protective area" for terrain clearance etc during the go-around?

minuteman
1st Jun 2007, 08:11
Dealt with here already:
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=234358
Or for those too lazy to click:
UK AIP Section 1.7 Differences from ICAO Standards (specifically Doc 8168 - Procedures for Air Navigation Services - Aircraft Operations Volume II -Construction of Visual and Instrument Flight Procedures)
Section 1-7-52
Chapter 7
Procedure Construction and Obstacle Clearance Criteria for Instrument
Approach Procedures (cont)
Missed Approach Segment
Turn parameters - IAS. Unless otherwise specified, all missed approach turns
are limited to 185 kt IAS maximum.
Hope this helps! :ok:

1st Jun 2007, 08:20
There was a thread on this issue not too long ago - you may be able to find it in the archives.

I believe uncle dickie is correct; the 185kt speed limit is only applicable where there is terrain avoidance required in the G/A. At Heathrow we would normally expect you to get the aircraft clean in accordance with your SOPs, following the published missed approach. At some stage during this you will be given a vector to get you back into the sequence and Director will usually request a speed when you recall him. You can expect that to be about 210kts but we can work with your preference if we know it.

brethren
1st Jun 2007, 09:23
Cheers for that guys. Very helpful! :)

Bearcat
4th Jun 2007, 08:59
Had in LHR on a G/A....what speed are you doing?...180kt....increase to 220kts.....it's a joke this 185 knot mullarky....been on previous threads...