PDA

View Full Version : Manston

davidatter708
31st May 2007, 21:47
I'm off to Manston in a couple of weeks to pick a mate up anything I need to watch out for. What is it like? anyone had any experiences please post.
Thanks in advance
David

TheKentishFledgling
31st May 2007, 22:20
If landing on 10 just land very long to save a very long taxy!

Other than that Manton's easy, just don't expect great facilities at the airport (cafe etc).

tKF

vancouv
1st Jun 2007, 06:55
The runway at Manston is so big you could land across it - does give a strange perspective if you're used to a narrower one. And you might find yourself No. 2 to 747 in the circuit!

Whirlybird
1st Jun 2007, 07:36
I was about to say the same as vancouv. Because it's both very long and very wide you think you're closer to it than you are, and tend to start to flare too high. Keep the power on, take your time, and remember there's no rush to land - the runway's nearly 3000 metres! Other than that, no problems, and nice friendly flying club.

Dop
1st Jun 2007, 11:11
Well, it's dead easy to spot with that enormous runway, the GA section is (well it was the last time I went and I doubt it's moved) to the east so if you're coming from the west you're in no hurry to land, and the last time I went they held a 747 for me so as I passed it I was about on the same level as the 747 cockpit and was tempted to wave.
Got to be the biggest runway I'll ever land on.

nigelisom
2nd Jun 2007, 19:35
Nice and easy also friendly but don't forget your ppr ATC are very insistant on it. Also make sure you listen to the ATIS before calling Approach (or it may even be back to Radar by the time you go there).

Nigel

Three Yellows
3rd Jun 2007, 14:23
We took an unscheduled stop there yesterday due to very poor weather in Belgium. ATC were tremendously helpful in helping out, even though we hadn't PPR'd. We parked at TG Aviation who were again very helpful and friendly.

As was mentioned above, there was a 747 doing circuits (this will happen every saturday and sunday for the foreseable future). It was quite amusing to hear the 747 report downwind to be told that he was number two to a Cessna 152.

TG only have a coffee machine, but a short walk over the road to the Museum and the Merlin Cafe was well worth it... and its worth going there to look around the museum too, entry to which is free.

Fuji Abound
3rd Jun 2007, 18:15
1. Get a PPR number by ‘phone from TG before,

2. If coming form the North, remember Maypole is active, and from the West, don’t forget the parachuting at Headcorn and gliding at Challock,

3. There has been a displaced threshold recently, no radar and the ILS has been out so well worth checking the NOTAMS (you always do of course),

4. Parking will be at TG - at the north eastern end of the field, and on the grass to the right of the taxi way as you taxi towards the only hangar,

5. Usually there are two rows, and make sure you park against the fence or at the edge of the unmown grass otherwise you might get moved,

6. There is a coffee, choc and soft drink machine at TG, nothing else,

7. Avtur and Avgas always seems to be available, to the right of the hangar as you face it.