PDA

View Full Version : SRI LANKAN

Saturn
9th May 2001, 07:06
I see that SRi LAnkan is looking for crews again. Can someone give me some insight to the pay and working conditions there. Is Colombo the only base? Will ex-pats get a command after being an F/O. Thank you.

------------------

411A
9th May 2001, 07:32
Saturn--
Worked there for 5 years, generally very pleasant folks. CMB the only base, keep your flak jacket handy as there are bombings from time to time downtown, no problem outside. Low cost of living, but schools expensive. Pay has been below average BUT if you stay for 5 years the provident fund payoff can be quite large. Very nice destinations if on the 330/340, lousy on the 320. So far as I know, there has never been an upgrade for an expat F/O.

JoeCo
9th May 2001, 07:38
WOW, that news doesn't make the job very interesting anymore!!!!!!!!!!!

Nicosia
9th May 2001, 08:29
And would the low cost of living in CMB,411A,be also accompanied with a low salary of around USD3,000 per month?

411A
9th May 2001, 14:26
JoeCo--
Like I said, nice folks but there are problems. I have no idea about the present pay but expect that it is still below average. A reasonable "port in a storm" if no one else is hiring, provided you are already qualified on the equipment.

L1011
9th May 2001, 14:52
The situation is not quite as dire as dear 411A makes out. Flak jackets are not part of the uniform.

What are your motives for going there? If you are an FO and want a "career" seems like you should try Emirates instead. All you are assured of at UL is lots of glass cockpit time and some reasonable layovers. No villa in the sun and large FWD as the denizens of Dubai love to brag about.

A command is unlikely, there will be too may nationals ahead of you and they have a strong union behind them.

If you're looking at few years to get some experience and do some surfing - go for it. Anything longer term is perhaps not a good idea.