PDA

View Full Version : Where can flying get the cheapest?

babolat
29th May 2007, 19:47
Hello there!

I'm planning to go on a school exchange programe for some months to a foreign country particularly USA, Europe, or Australia.

Apart from USA, does anyone know of any other place where fuel prices (as regards flying) are on the same line as those in USA?? I'm asking since I plan to build up some hours flying cheap while I'm there.

Regards!

gcolyer
29th May 2007, 20:05
I would say OBA in florida. There are other schools that will offer a course for similar price but make sure you compare apples with apples.

OBA is the only school that does not charge for the following:

Accomodation
VISA
TSA
SEEVIS
Finger printing
FAA Medical
Pilot study kit

That lot in itself is worth another £1000 on top of the course.

babolat
29th May 2007, 20:21
Hello thanks for your reply

however please note that I will only be renting the planes and not enrolling on any course.

I am basically considering between USA, Canada, Europe, and/or Australia.

gcolyer
29th May 2007, 20:38
Ok fair enough. Totally different kettle of fish.

Youa re aware that you will need to get a license for whichever country it is that you wish to fly in? Unless it is a JAA state or in a JAA reg aircraft.

Inevitably it means plenty of hoop jumping and paperwork. i can only speak from the experience of getting an FAA license based on my JAA licesne. It is not to much of a painful process.

1) Fill in a form from the CAA authorising the realease of your details to the FAA
2) Pay the £38 fee to the CAA for the above process
3) Fill in an FAA application form for an FAA license based on your JAA license. Nominate an FSDO in the states that you wish to have your FAA interview.
4) Wait for confirmation letter asking you to book an appointment at the FSDO that you choose
5) Book appointment with that FSDO
6) Fly to the states for appointment at said FSDO
7) Walk away with an A5 peice of paper stating it is a temporary airmans certificate valid for 120 days
8) At some point in the not so far future a credit card style FAA license arrives at your home address. Free.

babolat
29th May 2007, 20:42
Damn!

So, I have a JAA PPL circa 100 hours. I cannot just go to a USA flight school, do a check out with an instructor, and start flying?

gcolyer
29th May 2007, 20:52
Not as PIC you can't.

Getting the FAA ticket based on the JAA is not as bad as it sounds. Will take you a couple of months for the paperwork.

gasax
30th May 2007, 08:32
However if you go to Canada, you walk into a Transport Canada office and walk out with a validated licence. Very straight forward and easier than the US used to b e before 9/11.

And the Canadians aren't loud.........

And the exchange rate is pretty good...........

babolat
30th May 2007, 12:23
I've been considering Canada.

The hourly rates are somewhat more expensive in Canada however.

Do you know of a good school in Canada then or maybe more than one :confused:

Thanks.

pumper_bob
31st May 2007, 11:23
Babolat,
Have a think about Slovakia! I have flown there for appx £30hr in a Zlin. The instructor at the club @ Vajnory speaks good English and are a really friendly bunch. You are only 2 miles north of Bratislava airport, served by Ryan air and 30km from Vienna. So just the cost of a ticket to America would get you appx 10hrs flying, the cost of Ryanair to Bratislava is next to nothing if your flexible on your dates. The Tatra Mountains to the North are spectacular and there are some really interesting places to visit. So if its hour building your after i really think you should consider it as a viable option. Plus the Apres flying is great:} Cheap(very) Beer and food and if your into Skiing the runs up by Jilina are well prepared and the lift pass will cost less than a pint of Staropramen:ok:

gcolyer
31st May 2007, 12:05
Is Slovakia JAA?? If not do you need to get a piggy back license or conversion?

stickandrudderman
31st May 2007, 13:17
Hey Pumper,
post a link to that club will you?
:ok:

pumper_bob
1st Jun 2007, 13:17
I have this one in my favourites! http://www.aeroklub-ba.sk/ RMAC has a big Cessna twin at Stefanik and was interested in people coming over to fly. Gcolyer, you just go in and do a check ride and off you go on your UK licence. Remember, two out of three must match, licence, airspace, reg! So unless you want to go over their FIR, your ok. But if you do want to i dont think its a big deal anyway, just something i haven't got around to doing yet. I will be gong back in a couple of weeks when the cheap seats on O'Leary (O@Leary) airways come up again!:} One little point that might wet your appetite! When talking of an hours flying, what measurement are we using? Hobbs?(Rip off) Tacho?, Block to block? Brakes off/on?
None of them!! Get this, you start up, a walther engine too, grumbles to life and sounds like a real big engine, none of your flat four ohc tractor engines here:ok: So you start up, warm up, taxi out to the runway and you haven't even started the clock yet:ok: As you line up and take full throttle you hit the stop watch on the panel, when the wheeels touch down you hit the stop watch again, and thats what for you pay for @ £30 odd per hour!

babolat
1st Jun 2007, 20:49
pumper,

That all sounds too good.

Have never flown a Zlin before, only C-152 and C-172, is that all right with them?

And, how good are the planes there as regards maintenance and service?

Thanks.

stray10level
4th Jun 2007, 19:34
I have some time in a Zlin and @ those prices you should be on the next flight out! Has anyone contacted the club recently to check if the info is still current?