PDA

View Full Version : Oakley Airfield Info

flexy
29th May 2007, 10:27
Does anyone have any information on if this is a useable field - it is shown as a microlight field (just on the on stub of Benson's MATZ) on the charts but cant seem to find any info on it. Just want to pop in for a "comfort break" on long X Country.

Finals19
29th May 2007, 10:50
Hmmm...in a word (or two!)..probably not. Its pretty close to where I live and I have walked the old runways a couple of times. They are very overgrown with weeds and the surface is awful. What type of aircraft are you flying?

Last time I went there, there was a roughly marked out landing area on one of the old WW2 runways, but that was a few years ago now. Also, there are pylons that cross the field, so be very careful when going down for a look.

Your other option is the perimeter track that is in fairly good shape and you could definitely land on (its quite narrow and there is a fence that borders it within about 100 feet) The whole area is a fave location for dog walkers and local ramblers, so watch out for them - dog or ramblers tend to ruin your propeller!

Best to see if there is a contact number and give the guy a ring. If you're a microlight he might let you use the peri-track.

flexy
29th May 2007, 11:07
yep - will be a flexwing so not too concerned - just wondered why it was shown on the chart as a "M" not as disused. Was just interested if there was a club there or something....

trevs99uk
29th May 2007, 11:09
Oakley home to the Buckingshire microlight club.

Email [email protected]

trevor

flexy
30th May 2007, 10:23
Thanks very much - I have sent an email. I will take thermos as by the look from Google Earth they dont have a cafe!!!