PDA

View Full Version : TCAS II communicate?

CitationTen
29th May 2007, 04:07
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can tell me whether or not TCAS II units communicate with each other in a RA situation. ie - The TCAS II in aircraft A tells the aircraft to climb, and in turn sends this signal to aircraft B (that aircraft A is climbing), and as a result, the TCAS II in aircraft B tells aircraft B to descend.

Just curious because someone told me they do "communicate" with each other, but haven't been able to verify any of this in any manuals. Does anyone know the answer to this for certain? Thanks for any insight!

Cheers

esreverlluf
29th May 2007, 06:00
Yep they do communicate - mainly to ensure that two conflicting aircraft aren't both issued with the same RA by their respective TCAS units.

Example - Interlaken, had both aircraft obeyed their TCAS RAs, the accident was probably avoidable.

AerocatS2A
29th May 2007, 11:08
From Wikipedia: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_Collision_Avoidance_System#TCAS_II)

TCAS II systems coordinate their resolution advisories before issuing commands to the pilots, so that if one aircraft is instructed to descend, the other will typically be told to climb — maximising the separation between the two craft.

Tarq57
30th May 2007, 12:05
Example - Interlaken, had both aircraft obeyed their TCAS RAs, the accident was probably avoidable.

Does this refer to the B757/Tu154 at Uberlingen? Or yet another nasty?
I'm unfamiliar with the Interlaken reference.

TheGorrilla
4th Jun 2007, 00:06
Indeed they do. I hear that the TCAS 2 units talk to each other and work out the best escape in the vertical plane for both aircraft based upon the available performance. Present flight path is also taken into account along with relative position.

esreverlluf
4th Jun 2007, 06:03
Markjoy - we are talking about the one and the same accident.

Tarq57
4th Jun 2007, 09:37
Thanks. Note to self: Must google Interlaken...

Jaguar Pilot
5th Jun 2007, 11:53
The RAs are then known as coordinated RAs.

The system requires the installation of SSR Mode S on both aeroplanes.
Mode A does not have the capability.