PDA

View Full Version : Tips/Advice on taxying (PA-38)

Captain Smithy
27th May 2007, 08:45
Hello folks,

Would appreciate some advice on taxying.

Had a lesson yesterday, apart from initial hiccups on the ground at first the lesson seemed to go well, instructor was very pleased with my progress, especially considering my last flight was on 7th April...:uhoh:

"Hiccups" consisted of 1) Making an ar$e of locking the primer, and having about 10 attempts at doing so before I overcome my lameness and got the thing locked properly, 2) Forgetting how the parking brakes worked, and 3) Being very shaky indeed at taxying. The flying detail on the other hand went very well indeed.

So, having got 1) and 2) sorted, I come to hiccup 3). The one thing I am finding difficulty with so far is taxying the aircraft. I am fairly clumsy at doing so. The aircraft seems to wander all over the place when I am in control! I find difficulty in keeping the aircraft going straight down any length. Think it may be down to lack of experience, but anyone have any tips to give me on taxying?

I also have to fight an irritating habit of wanting to steer the aircraft using the yoke... not good! Hopefully I'll get over it eventually, with more practice.

Anyways, that's all for now... don't think I'll be flying today since it's very overcast and was raining heavily earlier.

Cheers

Smithy

Human Factor
27th May 2007, 09:12
Clench your toes on the pedals and it'll get a lot smoother.

Saab Dastard
27th May 2007, 11:04
Small corrections.
Guide it, don't force it.
Be gentle - they are rudder pedals, not bicycle pedals!
Stay ahead of the aircraft, cancel an input once it has started to take effect.

SD

Blinkz
27th May 2007, 11:29
Ah you gotta love NU, who are you flying with? Jack? I've got about 25hrs in NU before I changed onto FH.

As has been said the secret to taxing is very small pressures on the pedals, no big movements are needed to keep straight. Also make sure that you aren't braking against the engine, just apply some throttle to get it moving and the idle back. It does come with practice so don't worry about it. The taxi at edi can be long depending on which runway is in use!

jamestkirk
27th May 2007, 11:31
It sounds like you are quite early on in the course so don't get too frustrated about taxi'ing.

Some of my students have the same difficulty. Especially as we have taxiways here.

My advice is to steer it like a motorbike. Look ahead as far as possible to keep the aircraft straight, if say you are on a taxi way.

I aslo get them to steer the aircraft to each edge of the taxiway (s turning). Firstly just with the rudders. Then rudder and differetial braking. Its good practise for anticipating the turns.

I have not taken out a taxiway light yet but the night is young.

It may help, hope it does.

Captain Jock
27th May 2007, 11:42
I imagine you will initially be going flying in fairly benign conditions so that for taxying purposes the effect of the wind can be ignored at this stage. If so, I suggest you take your hands off the yoke altogether. Then you can't use it as steering wheel!! Gentle and immediate action with your feet will also help. Don't worry with practice you will soon become perfect.

maxdrypower
27th May 2007, 13:17
Yep all good advice ,taxying is just like steering a car when you were first learning you will soon get used to it , What I would say is get used to not steering with the yoke as this may be a bad habit that will jump up and bite you when you start stalling , hopefully you wont find out why

matspart3
27th May 2007, 13:17
From personal experience....remove the tow bar first!!

michaelthewannabe
27th May 2007, 13:33
good tips!

What I would say is get used to not steering with the yoke as this may be a bad habit that will jump up and bite you when you start stalling , hopefully you wont find out why

I found that the stalling exercises really made this business of steering with my feet "click", for the first time. Dropping below 60 knots, fixating on a point on the horizon and keeping the aircraft bang-on course towards it, using only my feet, was a new motor co-ordination skill!

I had similar problems with taxying, especially because I have limited ankle flexion which makes it tricky to co-ordinate rudder pressure with brake pressure, but a little bit of practice in a low-stress environment usually makes it fall into place fairly quickly. I like the tip of looking to the horizon to maintain centreline: I must try that next time.

cheers,
mtw

gerry p
27th May 2007, 17:49
When I first flew a cessna, after a Katana, my instructor made me hold the Stalk of the yoke while taxying. Kinda transfers your attention to your feet!.
Hope this helps.
gerry p

Blues&twos
27th May 2007, 20:47
My first attempts at taxying were interesting and a bit of a downer for me, usually I'm pretty good with things requiring co-ordination. To remind me to steer with my feet I folded my arms. I was surprised at how sluggish the steering seemed, and managed to accidentally brake a couple of times too. We did eventually end up at the right place on the airfield without taking to the grass, which is one good point I suppose. "Try to stay on the tarmac" was the useful advice I was given by my instructor......

Pilot DAR
28th May 2007, 02:13
Old taildragger tip: Try "dancing" on the pedals, constantly pressing one then the other back 'n forth. It prevents your feet from freezing on the pedals. If you need a small correction, it becomes a little more or little less of the motion which is happening anyway. The rudder will be going back 'n forth, but who cares!

This trick does not seem to work on helicopters though, my instructor justs askes "what are you doing?"

If steering with the control wheel is natural for you, an Ercoupe is what you want to be flying!

Don't worry (unless you're about to hit something!)

Young Pilot
28th May 2007, 03:51
It will certainly come in due time. I once spent an entire lesson learning to taxi when working on my ppl so you're not the only one. I came across an article in an AOPA magazine (certainly a great investment) some time ago on taxiing techniques, and one was to keep the taxi/runway line beneath your right foot (if seating from the left of course). That ensures the front tire to always be aligned with the desired track, excluding other factors such as wind etc. The other part is simply feeling and visually catching what the aircraft wants to do. A gradual turn to the left means that a little more right rudder is needed. Veering off to the right may mean a little too much rudder. Almost like driving a standard. Learning to balance the clutch and gas pedals only comes with time and practice. Keep at it!

Captain Smithy
28th May 2007, 09:08
Thanks very much all for the tips - I have taken these on board and will give them a try.

Blinkz - Yes it's good old NU... was flying with Bob the other day. ;)

Cheers

Smithy

Blues&twos
2nd Jun 2007, 23:35
Minor drift - "taxying" or "taxiing"?

The grammatical part of my brain says the latter, but the aesthetic part prefers the former.

nano404
3rd Jun 2007, 01:44
Minor drift - "taxying" or "taxiing"?

The grammatical part of my brain says the latter, but the aesthetic part prefers the former.

Either Or I think is acceptable for most but I believe the latter is (more) correct.