PDA

View Full Version : Max Jet

Lasham Geezer
25th May 2007, 20:21
So, whats all this talk of Max Jet throwing a motor on take off out of Stansted and carrying on to the land of the free? Now thats what l call ETOPS!:ok:

RoyHudd
25th May 2007, 22:53
Thats what I call rubbish. Lasham Geezer, you don't fly for a living, so wrap up.

bomarc
25th May 2007, 23:31
I would like to hear the whole story. I have a very good friend who flys for maxjet. I am sure he would like to hear the story too.

To those not in the know, to "lose" an engine on a 767, leave england and fly all the usa would be beyond the nutty.

so, let's all settle down and try to find out the truth.

Final 3 Greens
26th May 2007, 06:14
To those not in the know, to "lose" an engine on a 767, leave england and fly all the usa would be beyond the nutty.

To say nothing of being a federal crime.

Wingswinger
26th May 2007, 06:48
Not to mention the upset and inconvenience it would cause to the Essex Constabulary. In the unlikely case that it did occur, I wonder if the pilots (assuming they are US citizens) would be extradited to stand trial here?

TUGNBAR
26th May 2007, 08:12
A small part either a panel or a flap (description I got from a good source) was found on the runway and the airport are assuming it came from an aircraft that took off around yesterday afternoon and that the part found was hit by another aircraft. All operators were asked to check their aircraft for damage.

Drop The Dunlops
26th May 2007, 09:02
If a 767 lost an engine on take-off from STN, is it really possible to continue flying all the way acroos the pond at drift-down altitude with the planned fuel burn?

Bearing in mind that not only will you be limited to a much lower altitude, possibly below NAT system FL's, but you will also be suffering from alot of extra drag.

Sounds made-up to be honest...

Sleeve Wing
26th May 2007, 18:58
DTD.
You're serious, aren't you ?

Come on, would you as a Captain continue ?
I don't think so. ;)

hangten
26th May 2007, 21:10
Yet, to sate my curiosity; is it possible?!?

yeoman
27th May 2007, 11:16
Yes.

Kin stupid, illegal and a load of other things but yes.

Sobelena
27th May 2007, 12:32
Firstly, Maxjet did not fly single engine from STN accross the atlantic.

Yeoman, do you remember the HLF A300 that landed short, out of gas, at VIE a few years back? They were trying to fly it on one gong from some Greek island to Germany. By my calculations a B762 wouldn't make it westbound to dest on single engine ops. They might make it to YQX - and then it would still be tight.

tightcircuit
27th May 2007, 12:44
Sobelena,
A twin engine a/c flying on one donk is required to land at the nearest suitable airport. The HLF A300 to which you refer was flying with the gear down as I remember it, not on one engine. With the loss of one engine the Flight Management Computer (FMC) still gives accurate fuel usage predictions (on a Boeing at least, I assume Airbus are the same). This is not the case with the gear down. That is why HLF persuaded themselves they had enough fuel to get further than they did.

Airbubba
27th May 2007, 13:14
The Hapag-Lloyd plane was actually an A310, not an A300. It did fly for a short time on one engine as the fuel neared exhaustion. Of course, it also flew for a little while with no engines prior to impact.

http://www.1001crash.com/index-page-cdescript-accident-Hapag_A310-lg-2-year-ok.html

Sobelena
27th May 2007, 18:43
:ok: Yes quite right. I shoudn't post when less than half awake! It was of course an A310; it did have it's u/c down; and it flew on two donks instead of one gong. I think I need a rest :\

eng123
29th May 2007, 08:44
Just to clear it up, Maxjet lost part of a panel from the bypass duct of one of the engines. This was recovered from the STN runway. Crew would have known nothing about it.
The bigger issue was that it appeared that at least one aircraft had run over the remains that were left on the runway. The obvious danger here is what happened to Concorde.

Dream Land
29th May 2007, 09:20
The obvious danger here is what happened to Concorde. Let's not open that can of worms...:suspect:

Wingswinger
29th May 2007, 10:40
And what a can of worms it would be if ever opened fully.

old,not bold
29th May 2007, 15:25
Ah, the missing link.

mcdhu
29th May 2007, 16:03
I have never seen a report into the Hapag LLoyd 310.Can anyone post a link please.

Thanx
mcdhu

Capot
29th May 2007, 16:20
Post 13, this thread.

mcdhu
29th May 2007, 19:32
Thanks Capot, but I was hoping for a link to the official (Austrian?) report with full detail - there are a few interesting facets to it.

Cheers,
mcdhu