PDA

View Full Version : PPL training Stapleford Vs Cabair (Biggin Hill)

monkeytribe
24th May 2007, 22:00
Been deciding between the 2 to get my PPL, Cabair is obviously more expensive since landing fees are very steep at Biggin Hill.
Has anyone had experience with either school (or location) in terms of the Ground School lectures, the condition of the planes, level of instruction?
Which school/location would give a better foundation for a start on the modular commercial route?
Would training at Biggin Hill be more of an advantage due to it being a commercial airport compared to Stapleford?
Also, would it be more useful to do a PPL in a PA28 if your plans are to go commercially or would a C152 suffice?
Alot of Qs I know, but I really have to watch the pennies and need the best start as I was going to go to Jerez or Oxford on integrated but due to £££ I need to be more careful.
Thanks in advance
:ugh:

pumper_bob
24th May 2007, 22:47
Stapleford is more than adequate to set you on your way. However, a glance just 20 miles to the west would bring Firecrest into view at Elstree!. Now i actually had a bad experience with these guys, but it was post PPL training and upto that point i would say they are good competent guys with a price to make it worthwhile! As for experience at big airports etc, just make sure you fly into them on your X/C exercises and you will soon see what all the fuss is (not) about!

A and C
25th May 2007, 07:37
The fact of the matter is you will be paying Cabair a lot of money to sit around on the ground at Biggin Hill waiting for your turn to get onto the runway.
Biggin Hill is just to busy to make training a realistic option compaired to Stapleford.

No doubt you have been fed a bit of PA28 better/busy airport bull from Cabair, dont fall for it the C152 is a just fine as a training aircraft.

After thirty years in this business (and 10,000 hours) I know by reputation who is ripping new students off and who provides value for money training, the Stapleford Flight Center have a very good reputation and can take you all the way to the (F)ATPL , Firecrest will do you a good deal on PPL,IMC & Night.

Also I can recomend the British airways flying club & WLAC but being the "wrong" side of London these may not be an option due to the traveling involved.

A question to always ask a flying club is "What do do I actualy pay for an hours flying". If the answer is £** + VAT + landing fees + Instructor charge + a fee for not keeping your account in credit, then you are in the wrong place.

Max AirFactor
25th May 2007, 12:44
Only consider Biggin if you don't need to fly at weekends. Despite the highest charges, it's oversubscribed and preference is given to the fat cats while you wait and wait and wait..... :ugh:

Hampshire Hog
25th May 2007, 14:16
Accepting it's on the wrong side of London, if you want to go onto professional training, I couldn't recommend British Airways club highly enough.

Also, look at whether you get charged solo rate for when you're flying solo, or dual for the whole time you're a student. That can make a big difference. Not many Cabair students realise that there are schools around who don't rip their students off for this one.

HH

ERIK C
26th May 2007, 21:46
If you are looking in the aerea of Elstree and Stapleford, why not consider Panshanger? www.northlondonflyingschool.com (http://www.northlondonflyingschool.com) ! :ok:

monkeytribe
6th Jun 2007, 00:42
Stapleford's website states that it's £6120 for the PPL package, but this is only an add up of the 45 hourly dual/solo time.

What else needs to be added and what would the total amount add to?

Cheers

TractorBoy
6th Jun 2007, 08:14
I learnt at Stapleford over 6 months about 2 years ago. I found them both friendly and helpful.
1). I would definitely learn in a C152 - it only takes a few hours to convert over to a PA28, and the savings made over the course would more than pay for this. Plus, the C152 is a very forgiving aircraft - ideal for learning in. Stapleford also have about 15 of the things, so availiability is good.
2). As for cost, I paid a few thousand in advance - I know people don't recommend it, as if the school goes under, you lose your money. But you can get up to 10% discount if you pay for 45 hours in advance, and Stapleford "seem" to be a fairly financially stable school. I'm sure you could get cheaper elsewhere, but don't forget all landing fees are included - this does add up over 45 hours of lessons !!!
3). Ground School - I'm not too sure about this. I think they do very limited ground school, something like 1 lecture per week. They seem to cover all subjects over about a 10 week period, then start again. I actually did mine off my own back - did Air Law first to see if I could do the self-taught route, and found I had no trouble. If you want to learn at Stapleford, I would recommend trying this method first, as it's not really ground school orientated. Mind you, the exams were the cheapest I have come across - £15 for the first sitting, payable only if you pass !!!
Hope that's some help - drop me a PM if you want any more info.

PS And yes - If I had my time again, I would still learn there. I'm thinking of doing my IMC next year, and Stapleford is my school of choice !!!

PPS The £6120 is simply the rate for dual rate for 35 hours + solo rate for 10 hours. i.e the minimum legal flight time required. It'll cost more than that. But you'll prob. get 10% off if you pay this in advance.