PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter Crash

gcolyer
24th May 2007, 15:55
This does not look like my idea of a pleasure flight. How lucky was everyone onboard to have walked away?

http://www.yourdailymedia.com/media/1173620516/Helicopter_Accident

The Nr Fairy
24th May 2007, 16:05
This has been seen / discussed before on Rotorheads and, IIRC, here.

Slow, low, not unusual for occupants inside to walk away fro a helicopter in those circumstances

gcolyer
24th May 2007, 16:14
Well sory for the repost.

I am still surprised there were no injuries! I guess a few sore backs where felt the next day.

It looks to me like the rotor blew apart.

Stretchwell
24th May 2007, 16:20
It looks to me like he flew into the hangar.......................:ugh:

The Nr Fairy
24th May 2007, 17:28
Yup, he did. Speaks volumes for his pre-lift checks , no ? "Lookout" being one of the last things.

gcolyer
24th May 2007, 17:57
He doesnt look like he is close enough to the hangar to me. But then again I am not a rotary pilot.

Bravo73
24th May 2007, 19:25
He doesnt look like he is close enough to the hangar to me.

There is a design of hangar door (which I've only seen in the States) where the door 'hinges' horizontally across the doors.

Comme ca:

http://www.nbmg.unr.edu/nesc/BobCox/scan70.jpg

He flew into the overhang. :ugh:

PS Sorry for the size of the image. 'Twas the only one that I could find on Google Images...

gcolyer
24th May 2007, 19:44
Oops...great design:ugh:

smarthawke
24th May 2007, 19:58
The hangar design works really well and is more common than you might think in the UK. My present place of work has these doors fitted at both ends and so did my previous job.

No door tracks, sliding leaf doors or sticking concertina types. The door provides a bit of shade and protection from the rain in the front of the hangar.

I think blaming the hangar door for this well documented accident is a tad harsh to say the least!

SkyHawk-N
24th May 2007, 20:27
I think that's what they call 'hangar rash' :}

Pilot DAR
25th May 2007, 00:27
This design of hangar door is popular in places where snow accumulates. The door will lift straight up out of the snow, as opposed to trying to slide a door sideways through the snow, and fighting the ice in the door tracks on the ground.

Pilot DAR