PDA

View Full Version : RWY use at EGLL

ShuttleSixYankee
23rd May 2007, 22:59
What are the rules for when to use RWY 27L & R for arrivals and departures when on Westerlies?
Seems to be a trend that (in this particular scenario) RWY27L will be used for arrivals up until 1500L at which point the RWYs will switch. I believe this alternates each week.

My question is, if the 09s had to be used mid-week say, for a day, until Westerly ops were current again (say the following day) would the RWY use of the 27s stay the same for what they would have been that week?

What is the alternation this week?

I'm thinking it might all be dependant upon current weather, but I was wondering if there was a general rule of alternation schedules that LL will use if conditions permit it when on Westerlies.

SHT6Y

Gonzo
24th May 2007, 06:05
The westerly alternation schedule is published for the whole year. Week A 27L for landing up to 1500, Week B 27R for landing up to 1500, week C 27L for landing up to 1500....and so on. Any period of easterlies does not affect this.

ShuttleSixYankee
24th May 2007, 09:59
Cheers Gonzo

NWSRG
17th Apr 2009, 18:04
Folks,

Last September, en route to Boston, we enjoyed a night in the Renaissance at LHR...and I got up at 6am to spend a few hours watching the heavies land outside my window. Only problem was, thick, thick fog...and I mean thick! Much disappointment! The cream of the world's wide bodies, landing about 300m from me, and I couldn't see a thing...

So we're going to repeat the exercise in May. Dates are flexible, and I want to get a week when the arrivals are on 27R in the morning...from this thread it seems that the norm is to land on either 27L or 27R every morning (on my foggy morning, arrivals were actually on 9L)...but how can I check which week will be which, in preparation for my night away?

Thanks in anticipation...

Defruiter
17th Apr 2009, 18:09
http://www.heathrowairport.com/assets/B2CPortal/Static%20Files/Heathrow_RunwayAlternation2009.pdf

Thats the alternation program as published by BAA.

NWSRG
17th Apr 2009, 18:16
Defruiter...

Thanks very much...spot on!

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
17th Apr 2009, 18:50
NWSRG.. During the early morning rush from 6am they can sometimes use both runways for landing..

NWSRG
7th May 2009, 16:57
Thanks for that HD...

Turns out we're going to be there on May 22nd...a 27L week! How often do they use both 27L and 27R in the morning, and for how long?

And is there much in the way of interesting departures early on?

Thanks!

Geffen
7th May 2009, 17:15
Both runways in use for landings most mornings between 0600-0700 local.

timelapse
7th May 2009, 21:51
The early deps are usually the european short hauls going out. Alitalia, TAP, Austrian, a few BA and that sort of thing. Nothing too exciting. Unless the gap is tight :cool:

point5
8th May 2009, 10:44
Officially, on westerlies, early morning TEAM ceases at 06:40.

NWSRG
11th Jun 2009, 17:30
Well folks,

Got my night in the Renaissance (22nd May).

With the published arrivals showing 27L, I wasn't expecting to see much the following morning, but I woke just after 5am (not intentionally!) to see a BA 744 touching down outside my window. Until 6am, quite a few other long haul landings came in on 27R, including SQs A380...it finally dawned on me that 6am is the changeover time, so anything before that would land on 'yesterday evenings' runway. And from 6am, I got another half hour or so of arrivals on both 27L and 27R...

The SQ A380 rolled back down 27R about 10.30am, but never got beyond taxi speed! Last seen returning to the stand!

Also caught EK and QF 380s and lots of T7s and 744s...surprised in particular at the number of Air Canada flights.

So, spotting complete for another while!

Another question though...on arrival back at LHR on Monday, all arrivals / departures were on 9L / 9R...weather was calm. But all published arrivals are 27L or 27R...so when do the 9s come in?

Gonzo
11th Jun 2009, 18:45
The night landing runway is changed on its own schedule, rather than being tied to the 'post-1500' landing runway.

At 6am we nominally change to the 'pre-1500' landing runway, however we tend to land on both until about 0645.

Another question though...on arrival back at LHR on Monday, all arrivals / departures were on 9L / 9R...weather was calm. But all published arrivals are 27L or 27R...so when do the 9s come in?

Not sure what you mean here.....our procedures say we should stay on 27s until there is a tailwind of 5kts. However, if the wind is forecast to go easterly later in the day we might well stay on 09s even though the wind is calm.

The noise restrictions dictate the landing runway on 27s, but the departure runway on 09s.