PDA

View Full Version : Ppl Cd-rom

TIMZ
23rd May 2007, 21:32
Hi,

Just completed my third flying lesson while simultaneously studying Air Law. I am looking for a computer based practice questionnaire where I could do my Multiple Choice Tests. Would greatly appreciate it if you could recommend any good ones around.
Thanks.

dfspilot
23rd May 2007, 22:06
try oxford aviation media shop. here is the link.http://www.oatmedia.com/products.asp?id=15

TIMZ
24th May 2007, 08:00
Brian304 and dfsPilot, Thanks ever so much fo taking the time to reply to my message. Will check that out. Tx. Timz.:)

Dash Decent
24th May 2007, 09:30
I'm on the CATS PPL online study course and so far have done Air Law and HPL
It is very good and much nicer than reading books

They have questions for all subjects but not study guides for all subjects yet

tangovictor
24th May 2007, 22:24
I used the OAT cd's, found them a lot easier than the books, apart from
1 - Nav, the cd is a bit ott
2- Comms ok to practice radio speach, however the pratts book is better

sternone
25th May 2007, 05:15
I would vote for the Oxford series, i punish myself to rewatch each chapter if i don't get all the questions correct... that keeps my attention very high watching the chapters.. since the male voice can somethimes be slow and boring...

sarubin3
25th May 2007, 08:34
What is a good training video for PPL?

I was going to start a similar thread today. I am coming up to solo and I want to focus a bit more on the theory.

I've seen DVDs for sale from Jeppesen, Sporty's and Kings in the USA. And now sternone drew my attention to the OATmedia CD-ROM.

Am I right in thinking the OAT is voice and animation rather than actual video. Do the other products have voice-over commentary?

Any suggestions on which one is favoured by PPL students? Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

TIMZ
25th May 2007, 09:30
Hi Dash Decent,
Thx. Will chk CATS PPL online. Thi was exactly what I was looking for.
Tima.

TIMZ
25th May 2007, 09:49
Thx everyone for your thoughts on this.

sternone
25th May 2007, 19:06
Yes, i have many of them, the most louzy ones i find the Kings one, i found the level not deep. I learn more in depth with the oxford serie, it's spoken and here and there some animation, but much better for your theoretical knowledge.

I have some Jeppesen PPL serie, and the Jeppesen IR serie and i find them much better than the kings ones.

I guess that the sportys series are the best in video viewing, get the oxford serie for more in depth training

cheers

Slopey
25th May 2007, 19:40
Don't forget http://www.airquiz.com - very handy (but online based, not installable/local).

Greg2041
25th May 2007, 21:19
Must Say That The PPL Cats Course Seems Far Superior To The OAT's One & The Interactive Part Is Amazing. You Can Access It For A Trial Via The Cats Homepage. I Wish I Had Found It Before I Bought The Oat Cds.

sarubin3
26th May 2007, 02:31
Thanks sternone, your answer is exactly what I wanted to know. I was tossing up over Jeppesen and Oxford but looking more closely at OAT now.

Bugger these DVDs are expensive! Still cheaper than repeating lessons though.

Greg, I've never heard of CATS yet but I looked up Cranfield Aviation Training School and they have one set of videos for sale (no DVD):

"Gnav CRP-5 (W) available now covering all aspects on use of CRP-5 (W) for the JAA examinations"

I was just wondering what CRP-5 (W) and JAA mean. I'm only planning to be a private pilot and fly a cessna on the odd weekend. Is this content suitable for that low level of training?

tangovictor
26th May 2007, 14:48
the CRP5 is the wiz wheel used in the UK for navigation training, the OAT cd
covers it very well, I notice your in Aus, therefore I would be very careful before spending out on UK or US based training cd's dvd's etc

sternone
26th May 2007, 14:54
CATS PPL online study course

where can i find that on the net ? i can't find it!! thanks

Greg2041
26th May 2007, 21:10
www.cranfieldaviation.com (http://www.cranfieldaviation.com)

CATS address is as above. The interactive tutorial is great. I haven't fully subscribed yet as I am hoping to complete the PPL theory in-house (they run a residential course), BUT and it is a big BUT, to date I have found that there response to emails and telephone calls is abysmal, so I am not sure. Having said that, I am reliably told that they offer a 1st class service ONCE you get there!