PDA

View Full Version : CAA latest on Mode-S plans

gpn01
22nd May 2007, 21:38
Were published today at:

http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=14&pagetype=65&appid=7&newstype=n&mode=detail&nid=1461

'John Arscott, Director of Airspace Policy, said: “A strategy to safely increase interoperability over time represents the best way to meet the future demands of all airspace users. The increased carriage of Mode S transponders is a significant step towards airspace safety and meeting this objective.”'

The implementation is planned as a phased approach, so presumably the decrease in accidents following phase one will be evaluated and considered as evidence that Mode-S increases safety before phase two is implemented......or not.

High Wing Drifter
22nd May 2007, 22:24
...so presumably the decrease in accidents following phase one will be evaluated...Hmmm, after a ponder I have to ask what accidents, or incidents even? Mode S is to maintain safety with increased CAT OCAS and, more or less, current levels of CAS. The only outcome is that Mode S should prevent the predicted rise in incidents, so presumably if it doesn't, then things can only get more stringent.

Roffa
22nd May 2007, 22:33
Mode S is to maintain safety with increased CAT OCAS and, more or less, current levels of CAS.

Not exactly. There's a fact sheet here (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/7/DAP_SSM_Mode_S_SSR_Factsheet.pdf) that gives a more definitive view of why Mode S is required.

gpn01
23rd May 2007, 07:31
I didn't previously have elephants in my garden. Since putting elephant repellant in my garden I still don't have any elephants, therefore we should now implement elephant repellant in my neighbours gardens as it's obvious that it works.

If only "Mode S is to maintain safety with increased CAT OCAS and, more or less, current levels of CAS" were true. Unfortunately the remit (verified in the factsheet) is way beyond CAT.

High Wing Drifter
23rd May 2007, 07:49
Not exactly. There's a fact sheet here (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/7/DAP_SSM_Mode_S_SSR_Factsheet.pdf) that gives a more definitive view of why Mode S is required.The original post was with regard to the a proposed phased approach and suggested that there maybe some way of metricating Mode S such that if it isn't helping it won't bee pushed beyond a certain point. Coupled with the lack of any known accidents/incidents warranting Mode S (IMHO - I'm not saying anything about Mode C), my interpretation is that is seems that the CAA want flexible airspace and primarily that means accommodating the predicted increase in CAT that cannot be accommodated with the current CAS boundaries alone. The other stuff looks like a gathering of reasons to strengthen the case. The general stick is "Accept Mode S or put up with more CAS".

I didn't previously have elephants in my garden. Since putting elephant repellant in my garden I still don't have any elephants, therefore we should now implement elephant repellant in my neighbours gardens as it's obvious that it works.My point exactly within the context of assessing the phases.

FullyFlapped
23rd May 2007, 08:56
... but away from all the guesswork, at least we now know that those who currently have a transponder (A/C) do not have to upgrade to mode S until 2012 - or have I misunderstood this ?

I hope I'm right, it will at least have the benefit of stopping the "YOU MUST HAVE MODE S NOW OR YOUR WINGS WILL FALL OFF" adverts which have been plaguing the media, and it might even give enough time for a sensibly priced alternative to appear from somewhere ...

FF :ok:

Sedbergh
24th May 2007, 08:55
So pretty much as expected the CAA are saying

"F*** you all, we're doing it anyway.

I remain Sir, your obedient civil servant.

P.S. you're paying, even if it represents a high percentage of the value and annual operating costs of your flying machine"
:ugh: