PDA

View Full Version : A Grand Day Out

Cumulogranite
22nd May 2007, 08:15
With apologies to Wallace and Gromit......

So last Sunday dawned, and so did I nice and early. What!!! match of the day not on the Sunday norning? drat!! So shower and shampoo (what's left of my hair anyway) and off I pop to Sheffield. Todays enthralling adventure is circuit bashing at Sandtoft, what a thrill coming my way!

So there I am, sat at the desk in the ofice looking at assorted bits of paper (met forms, notams that sort of thing) when one piece of paper in particular caught my eye. An e-mail of all things from a nearby airfield. The detail of the e-mail caused me some great consternation. It would be a huge problem that would require great consideration to overcome. Just as I was pondering my instructor walked in asking if we were indeed off to Sandtoft. I showed him the bit of paper. We consulted at great length about the contents of the e-mail.

After all of 2 seconds we decided that it's contents needed us to change our plans somewhat. When faced with a choice of bashing the circuit or flying to Sturtgate to watch a BBMF flypast (the subject of the e-mail) the final decision becomes quite easy. In fact I think the phrase "no-brainer" was used!

So I would like to say thanks very much to the guys and girls at Surtgate who made us feel very welcome indeed. Having never been there before I found it to be a delightful place with a warm welcome and rest assured I will be back! And secondly I would like to thank the guys and girls of the BBMF for a fantastic flypast, and for the effort and time spent on ensuring that these fantastic aircraft, to which we all owe a great debt as well as the men that flew them in anger, are kept in the air for this and future generations to see, and hopefully reflect on what we all owe, but especially those of us that take to the skies !!

Thanks very much, it beats the daylights out of circuit bashing!