PDA

View Full Version : Cross country qualifier to PPL

PompeyPaul
21st May 2007, 19:31
I just completed my cross country qualifier on Sunday (yay!!!!). I had 3 goods and 1 satisfactory so I'm pretty happy.

I did it with 28 hours logged. I was just wondering how much more training I need to have before I go for my PPL.

One of the instructors said I was quite ahead to do the XCQ on 28 hours and I may get the PPL with 50 hours.

How many hours did you guys do your XCQ on and how many hours afterwards did you pass your skills test ?

modelman
21st May 2007, 20:14
Firstly,well done mate.
Did you enjoy it?-I found it the most satisfying part of my training-you start to feel like a real pilot.Once I had my first landing in the bag my nerves settled and the next 2 legs were actually fun. ( bit puzzled by 3 goods and a satisfactory (approaches and landings I presume)as I only managed 2 'away' and 1 'home' landing).
Try not to look at it as some kind of race-probably better to sail through at 55 hours than scrape at 45.
I actually terminated my first skills test as I felt a hundred miles behind the aeroplane on the day ( although the examiner said afterwards that I was on track and doing ok :ugh:)
Strangely,after getting my licence I felt a mixture of elation and emptiness(not quite the word I am looking for but it has been a long day).
Elation due to the sense of achievement and emptiness due the end of my basic PPL training ( but not learning) and the excitement and anticipation that brings.
I still find myself amazed that I am able to turn up at my club,grab a plane and go pretty much wherever I wish.
Best wishes for the future
MM

S-Works
21st May 2007, 20:30
my friend passed his skills test sunday. 45:20 including the test. This weekend (assuming licence is issued tommorrow as planned) he will fly to jersey for the rally.

Tim Dawson
22nd May 2007, 10:37
So the test took 20 minutes? I thought you needed 45 hours before you could attempt the test.

FullyFlapped
22nd May 2007, 10:41
Ah, the old spirit of adventure ... good luck to him.

And if he's going without someone a little more experienced than him, let's hope he gets to stay Victor Mike all the way there and back !

FF :ok:

PompeyPaul
22nd May 2007, 11:16
Hmm, did I enjoy it ?

I sort of did, but before it I had been flying solo nav's. It was funny, it more felt like something I had to get done that day rather than a big adventure.

I think the first solo nav was REALLY a big step, with going solo for the first time obviously by far the biggest step you can have.

The XCQ just felt like more solo nav's with a stop at the end. Although I think there is far to much excitment and importance put on going solo. I love flying so much I'm happy to fly with an instructor or on my own, I just want to be airborne :)

The next big step I'm really looking forward to is taking my first passenger. Reading the posts here it seems like they add an awful lot to the work load. Hence the question about how far away I am from the PPL.

modelman
22nd May 2007, 11:40
'So the test took 20 minutes? I thought you needed 45 hours before you could attempt the test.'

Hmm,Iwas thinking the same last night when I first saw that but checking Lasors it would seem you need 45 for the issue of a licence not for the GFT.All you need for that is 25 dual,10 solo with a min of 5 hours x-country and all training completed and written exams passed.

Made no difference to me because I wasn't ready at 45 anyway.

MM

BigAl's
22nd May 2007, 12:15
As someone said to me after I passed my skills test.... "Congratulations, now go and learn to fly!" So so true... it's when you're up there on your todd making decsisions about fuel, passengers, weather, go / no go etc... It's a little strange suddenly not having an instructor there! :bored:

Having your license is not just about the ability to manouvre an aeroplane around, it's about making command decsions. Don't be affraid to ask advice!!

Best wishes,
Bigal:ok:

Slopey
22nd May 2007, 12:19
'So the test took 20 minutes? I thought you needed 45 hours before you could attempt the test.'

Nope - as per Lasors you need 35 hours iirc. I did my skills test at 36hrs (I think - I'd have to check it in the log, but it was definately under 40 hrs) then effectively did hour building to get to the 45 for the licence issue requirement.

gcolyer
22nd May 2007, 12:52
I passed in exactly 45 hours including night qualification and skills test.

davidatter708
22nd May 2007, 15:37
Well done. I passed my licnese in 45hrs15 including skills test. My qxc was done in 31hrs 5 mins but I had about 7 attempts cancelled so I flew a couple of other lessons before I managed to do my QXC. As for training afterwards I didnt really do any more just some revision and I ended up doing some cross countries to bulid hours for instance I went to visit my sister in manchester it was fun and as I will be doing it quite often it made sense also I used free landing fees I found in my club and went to random airfields good luck for the future. Edited because I forgot to say that the skills test can add up to the 45hrs needed to do the license all you need is the right amount of dual and solo.
Dave

Al Smith
22nd May 2007, 17:21
I thought you had to do 150 hours after getting your licence before you could do your night rating. Well for your PPL(H) that's what I've been told by the CFI. I suppose it's different for PPL(A) - the CCA must think you fixed wing guys are far more competent pilots than us chopper people. Well you have to be a bit crazy to fly them and they are expensive!!

gcolyer
23rd May 2007, 12:06
Nope.

The night qualification is easy to get. 2 hours dual and 3 hours solo at night is all you need to do, and it can be 5 hours of your PPL training. I just don't understand why more people don't do it.

Most of us are ready for the skills test before 45 hours or at least have covered the PPL syllabus which means we need to spend a few hours bimbling about just to meet the minimum hours for license issue. So why not make use of those hours and do the night qualification.

As far as terminology goes it is a "Night Qualification" and not "Night Rating".

Al Smith
23rd May 2007, 12:29
If that's the case then I'll do it as soon as funds allow............

gcolyer
23rd May 2007, 13:03
It appears Night Qualification requirements is different for helicopters and fixed wing:

Fixed Wing (lasors section E4)

E4.2 Night qualification (aeroplane)
Flying Training/Experience
requirements

When applying for a Night Qualification you must produce evidence of having met the following flying requirements:-

a. 5 hours overall night training in areoplanes to include b) and c),

b. i. 3 hours dual night training to include ii),

ii. 1 hour dual night navigation;

c. 5 take-off and full stop landings at night as PIC of aeroplanes.

Helicopter (lasors section E5)

E5.2 Night qualification (Helicopter)
Flying Training/Experience
requirements

When applying for a Night Qualification you must produce evidence of having met the following flying requirements:-

100 hours of flight time as pilot of helicopters after the issue of the PPL(H), including,
60 hours as Pilot in command of helicopters; and
20 hours cross-country flight.
The main features of the PPL(H) Night Qualification course are:

[I] 5 hours theoretical knowledge instruction
10 hours dual helicopter instrument instruction - this is in addition to any insturment instruction completed prior to the course. the holder of an IR(A) is credited 5 hours of this training.
5 hours helicopter night training, inclduing 3 hours dual instruction and 5 solo night circuits. Each circuit shall include a take-off and landing.
The course must be completed within 6 months

Al Smith
23rd May 2007, 13:16
Thanks for that info, looks like I've got to build myself another 70 odd hours then, I'm only just over the 100 hours myself and it took a hefty 75 hours to get my PPL. It seems you fixed wing guys are qualifying in the 45 - 50 hour bracket.